Plus-Sized

My dress has been discontinued :(

So the wedding dress we just put a down payment on has been discontinued on the 1st. Super disappointed. Although they have a sample size that is 2 sizes larger than they were going to order for me.  She said a seam had to be fixed (she said it was minor) and she looked over the dress very well for me. She is willing to let it to at the $365.00 we put down on it. Problem is I have a small bust area (was not blessed) and the bust area of this dress was HUGE on me. The rest of the dress I feel would be okay to alter. Has anyone else had any issues with this? How was the outcome? It's a great deal for a dress that I loved and it had everything i wanted in a dress. I know alterations will be pricey because it will require lots of work. I'm just scared it will ruin the bust area of the dress and lose some of it's beauty. Any advise would help.

Re: My dress has been discontinued :(

• if the bust area is more than 2 sizes too big, you are likely to lose some of the structure of the dress.  A really good seamstress can remake it, but it will be expensive.  If it is covered in beading or detailing, I might try to find a sample or used dress closer to your size.

What dress were you looking at?

• The first picture is the front. This was a smaller sized dress  (not the one they will sell to me)  In the other two pictures are of the larger size. The back you can tell just by the straps. On the side view my bust area is not that big (unfortunately) I was drowning in it. Even the smaller size was didn't size right for my bust area either. I only had a regular bra on as well.
  • with all of that beading across the bust, I would be worried.   Do you know the designer name?
  • Yeah we do. That what I was worried about as well. If anything we may just take someone who does alterations and get their advice before we decide

• Rox629 said:

Yeah we do. That what I was worried about as well. If anything we may just take someone who does alterations and get their advice before we decide

If you want to post the designer name, we might be able to help you find one in the right size on one of the pre-owned sites.  I think someone would pretty much have to take all of that beading off, restructure the top of the dress and sew it all back on. 
  • The owner of the bridal shop use to do alterations, she can't anymore. But she is going to pin up the dress and tell me what will be done to make it work. She is pretty optimistic and confident it can be done. She isn't 100% at this point until I get it on and she gets a good look at it. We can make our decision at that point and get a full refund if we decide not to with it. I tried on a lot of dresses that looked great. This dress had the features I wanted. If it doesn't work out, i have more then enough time to find a new dress :) My goal is by the end of Oct. Thanks for you input! We will see what happens :)
  • can you give us the name of the designer maybe we can find one closer to your size that will fit better?
  • Rox629 said:
    The owner of the bridal shop use to do alterations, she can't anymore. But she is going to pin up the dress and tell me what will be done to make it work. She is pretty optimistic and confident it can be done. She isn't 100% at this point until I get it on and she gets a good look at it. We can make our decision at that point and get a full refund if we decide not to with it. I tried on a lot of dresses that looked great. This dress had the features I wanted. If it doesn't work out, i have more then enough time to find a new dress :) My goal is by the end of Oct. Thanks for you input! We will see what happens :)

Stuck in the box. Don't worry! The dress I bought off the rack was a size 12 & had to be altered down to about a size 6, so anything can be done! And if not, like you said, you have lots of time so that's a plus! I found my seamstress through word of mouth from other brides (the bridal shop I got my dress at was closing so they couldn't do it there), so maybe you could hunt around locally for a great seamstress too :) Also, the local seamstress that altered my dress was WAY cheaper than a bridal shop and she had to do a lot to the dress - change the side seams completely, add a bustle, shorten the length & shorten the shoulder strap (all for less than $200).
    By the way, did you say the dress is less than $400?! That's a pretty good deal!
  • We went in today, and we are going for it! I put on the smaller size and the larger size. I could have gone for either (one would need to be taking out, the other in) We went for the larger one. After talking with a seamstress and going over everything that needs to be done i'm confident that it will turn out perfect. After putting it on again I knew it was a done deal. We put on the other one we really liked, but still loved this one more. Plus, we got a AWESOME deal on it. Now I don't have to feel guilty for having my mom spend $1000.00 for a dress alone ( and only wearing it one day). After alterations and accessories we will still be saving loads of money! Yay! I'm very budget friendly.. And i'm not lying, but the price made me love it more!
  • I'm not a seamtress, but my mother is. And I blew up your pictures and really looked at them. It looks like all the work should be confined to just the straps and the armpit area, which isn't hard to do. But this dress has a lot of beading in those areas that you don't want to lose. Its a beautiful dress and I hope it turns perfectly. Another trick is a too little bra. Not a super small bra, but a size and cup smaller. For example if you wear a 34c, buy a 32b. It will push you together in the front and fill the clevage area of the dress a little better. 1 size down shouldn't make you miserabley uncomfortable, but you will feel it when you first get dressed. I would buy my wedding bra and wear it to the fittings since that area of the dress is where most of the work will be.
  • cidefi said:
    I'm not a seamtress, but my mother is. And I blew up your pictures and really looked at them. It looks like all the work should be confined to just the straps and the armpit area, which isn't hard to do. But this dress has a lot of beading in those areas that you don't want to lose. Its a beautiful dress and I hope it turns perfectly. Another trick is a too little bra. Not a super small bra, but a size and cup smaller. For example if you wear a 34c, buy a 32b. It will push you together in the front and fill the clevage area of the dress a little better. 1 size down shouldn't make you miserabley uncomfortable, but you will feel it when you first get dressed. I would buy my wedding bra and wear it to the fittings since that area of the dress is where most of the work will be.
    I agree with this. My mom is also a seamstress. You should be fine. Most dresses are made to be able to take in by 2 sizes. The straps and armpits is where a lot of yours will be taken in. You might lose a little bit of beading, but it shouldn't be too much. I also agree on the bra, especially buy it before your first fitting. I got my corset at the bridal shop when I bought my dress, of course expensive, at least I knew it worked with my dress.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Thanks ladies :) Hearing these things does make me more excited! My 4 year old daughter just asked me the other day when I will get my dress. I have much time yet. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards