Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

vegetarian menu ideas

I am an animal activist and vegan but I know vegetarian would be an easier menu to please the  masses:)
No meat will be served at my wedding and most people are aware of my lifestyle and expect it so there's been no complaints.
My venue has basic and cliche vegetarian choices but they are open to suggestions.
Any brides out there who had a vegetarian reception?

Re: vegetarian menu ideas

• We had fish, but the rest was vegetarian.  We had plated salad and gazpacho, and then a buffet with:
    - lasagna with white sauce and artichoke
    - marscapone mushroom purses
    - green and wax beans
    - roast potatoes
    - grilled vegetables
    - vegetable strudel (vegan)
    and then our fish dishes.  

I went to a vegan wedding at this place, check out their vegetarian entree options for ideas:
  • The lasagna with artichokes sounds amazing!!! I know my th will love the mushroom purses!
    I really appreciate the reply!
  • My vegan menu item was a stuffed acorn squash with rice, nuts, cranberries and a bunch of other veggies. It was way better than the chicken & pork we served. 

I know veggie lasagna is a 'cliche' item but it's one of my favorite things on this planet. 

I would just be careful about not having too many dishes that use certain items that many people don't like. For instance, I LOVE mushrooms, I would eat them in anything, but a lot of people are not a fan of fungus. So only have mushrooms in one entree/app. 
  • edited October 2013
    @daria24 you are definitely right about the mushrooms and choosing too many like items
    I love pasta and I keep going back to veg lasagna or ravioli.
    My venue said "well we have veggie plates" .... ahhh not cutting it.
    How did ppl react to your vegan menu?

• We didn't have a vegan menu, we just had a vegan entree option. My experience with vegan/vegetarian food is that if you put out enough 'common' foods that just happen to be vegetarian/vegan, guests don't seem to be bothered by it. IE if you have butternut squash ravioli, eggplant parm, spring rolls, bruschetta, stuffed mushrooms, etc-stuff like that it doesn't freak people out. But when you are offering tofu 'short ribs' or seitan burgers people react negatively. I also think it's easier to have a buffet or family style, rather than a plated entree when you have a veggie or vegan menu, that way people can try a bit of everything.
  • I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but I cannot get enough of the different vegetarian/vegan saag dishes they serve at the lunch station at Whole Foods.  I have yet to try one I didn't like and think they are very flavorful and filling, especially served over saffron rice. They had one last week that was a vegan spicy sweet potato flavor that was just to die for.
  • Oh gotcha Daria, yea that's why I decided on vegetarian for my guests rather than vegan.

@wondered I know what you mean! Whole foods really knows how to do vegan!:)
  • Soup, tomato sauce/veggie pasta, and white sauce pasta come to mind.  This link might be helpful:
    http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/vegan-wedding-food.aspx
  • Thanks! I'm looking now:)
  • stuffed peppers, primavera pasta with lots of veggies, veggie burger, stuffed portobella caps
    *********************************************************************************

• We had portobello sliders and a mac and cheese station (with other, non vegetarian options). The mac and cheese station had 3 different pastas, 3 different cheeses and mix ins (some non veg options like chicken and bacon and some veg options like sun dried tomatoes and peppers). 

Our cocktail hour was entirely vegetarian - cheese and olive tray, bruschetta and roasted vegetable crustinis. 
  • We are having a totally vegan wedding. Here are some items from caterers we are looking at. Hopefully it helps. Also, don't be afraid about an all vegan wedding. They can be made delicious!
     Tomato risotto cakes

 Crudite with dips like cannelini, black bean, hummus, or spicy artichoke

 Grilled Veggie brochettes (mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, chives, herbs)

 Tomato bruschetta brushed with olive oil

 Lemon-potato pancakes with gingered avocado creme

 Stuffed grape leaves

 Lemon risotto balls

 Falafel with tahini sauce

 Crostini with dips like eggplant caponata, white bean puree, kalamata olive or sun-
    dried tomato tapenade

 Baba Ganoush with pita bread

 Sweet potato spread and plum tomato crostini with balsamic vinaigrette

 Potato crochettes with chive creme

 Twice-baked red and white potatoes

 Endive and apple haroseth salad

 Potato cakes with apple chutney

 Mushroom and Leek Empanadas

 Artichokes filled with fennel and tomatoes

 Guacamole with tortilla chips and pico de gallo

 Stir-fried sugar snap peas with shiitake mushrooms

 Fruit skewers

 Stuffed Mushrooms

 Mini spinach quiches

 Vegetable Samosas

 Spring Rolls with soy-ginger dipping sauce

Vienna Pastry Roulade Station Chef attended featuring two puff pastry roulades:

Porcini hand rolled puff pastry filled with porcini mushrooms, almonds, and ground tempeh, served over cashew pesto, finished with pomegranate seeds

Root Vegetable fresh lentils and root vegetables baked in a puff pastry crust, served over a carrot almond milk, caramelized onions, wilted kale, and sherry vinegar

Vegan Risotto Bar featuring the following combinations, with guests option of special request; all

Corn Purée with red pepper, chili oil Lemon Basil

Portobello Mushroom with pine nuts, truffle oil drizzle

finished with fresh cracked pepper. OMIT DAIRY

It's all a bit jumbled because I copy pasted. Hopefully this helps!
  • I'm a vegetarian who eats vegan 90 percent of the time (only have cheese once in a while on pizza) but maybe only 4 other people at the wedding will be vegetarian. We're planning an upscale backyard bbq for the reception and yes to keep the hubby to be happy and all the guest there will be meat served (bbq chicken and pulled pork) there will be lots of salad options but i'm thinking grilled veggies maybe we could do some stuffed Portobello mushrooms or something....any suggestions?
  • oh and i'm also gluten intolerant :(
  • I'm a vegetarian who eats vegan 90 percent of the time (only have cheese once in a while on pizza) but maybe only 4 other people at the wedding will be vegetarian. We're planning an upscale backyard bbq for the reception and yes to keep the hubby to be happy and all the guest there will be meat served (bbq chicken and pulled pork) there will be lots of salad options but i'm thinking grilled veggies maybe we could do some stuffed Portobello mushrooms or something....any suggestions?
    Veggies on the grill is a good idea--you could do portobellos, zucchini, summer squash, and peppers.  You could also do veggie burgers--you should be able to find GF ones.  Vegetarian rice and beans would go with the feel and be another heartier option.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards