Wedding Invitations & Paper

How do you handle postage when you have electronic RSVP option?

So I'm set up to take RSVPs electronically, and this is preferable on my end. However, I'm pretty sure some people, especially older guests, will want an alternative method. Am I required to still send reply cards and prepaid postage to everyone? Is it acceptable to just give an RSVP phone number for those who don't want to e-mail? 
Mostly I'm trying to make things easier on everyone, but I cringe at the thought of pre-paying for a lot of postage to go with a lot of reply cards that may not be used. Thoughts?

Re: How do you handle postage when you have electronic RSVP option?

• Sorry...but this is why electronic/phone RSVPs are not really a good idea.

Putting a pre-addressed, pre-stamped card in the mail is actually EASIER for guests than logging into your website. Every single one of my guests from age 20 to 85 was able to mail the card. (magic!)

My vote goes for skipping the electronic RSVP cards entirely.
  • Point taken. Reply cards are pretty handy.
    I like the real-time updates, and that electronic RSVPs prevent writing in names of random, uninvited plus ones. And it seems rather like an unnecessary extra $50-60 in postage. But we also have some guests (world travelers, deployed military, college kids in transition) who may not receive the physical invite at all before the response deadline--it will likely end up in a PO box for months or at a parent's house. If they have a web link, though, they can still find out all of the pertinent information and complete their RSVPs.
  • I have a lot of transient friends/family too. After some advice on this board, I'm going to send the paper invite just like the others (wth reply cards). Suck up the postage. I plan to send a follow up email about a week after I send the invite to anyone I think may not get it due to a move, college dorm change, tavel, military, etc. I'll let them know that they should see an invite at x address, but that email will also include the website and an electronic reply option. It's not perfect, but I don't want people to think they aren't invited b/c they can't check their dorm mailbox in May.

• Ms. Manners would tell you response cards are unnecessary as the guest is supposed to hand write their only response.
    BUT...then you risk not getting rsvps and having to track them down.
    Have you considered postcards? They are cheaper and postage is $.13 less than regular mail.
    GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• We haven't ordered invites yet -- postcards would definitely be doable.
  • Do consider timing when it comes to postage...if they'll be mailed after the new year, the rate is higher: http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2013/pr13_077.htm

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • clg1213 said:

Do consider timing when it comes to postage...if they'll be mailed after the new year, the rate is higher: http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2013/pr13_077.htm

Or stock up on the forever stamps now. This won't help on postcard or 2 oz stamps tho :-/
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• clg1213 said:

Do consider timing when it comes to postage...if they'll be mailed after the new year, the rate is higher: http://about.usps.com/news/national-releases/2013/pr13_077.htm

Or stock up on the forever stamps now. This won't help on postcard or 2 oz stamps tho :-/

Hey, thanks! I didn't know this!
  • Stocking up on Forever Stamps is awesome. We're still using 2009 ones when I bought $200 worth :-)
  • I'm doing online RSVPs and giving my phone number as an option. We're on a really tight budget.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am at my computer alot.  I would get an invitation in the mail and sit here and RSVP and be done with it.  I think most people with the exception of most senior citizens would just find it simpler and quicker to RSVP electronically.  I think you would be safe with that assumption and not have to  send cards to those you know will agree.  I believe its the way of the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards