Not Engaged Yet

Return/exchange diamond

Last weekend my bf told me (without prompting) that he intends to propose in spring 2014. I couldn't be happier. Since we were just hanging out and talking casually about it, I showed him a picture on my phone of my dream ring. It's a modestly sized princess cut ring set in a square halo. Then he was disappointed because he already bought a round cut diamond based on things I've said about other girls' rings. I had no idea, since I told him I wanted it to be a surprise.

He said he would try to trade it in for a princess cut. I really don't want him to do that because I don't want him to be upset or to lose money on the deal. As much as I wanted my dream ring, I know I'll love any ring he gives me.

So mostly I'm just venting here. But if anyone has experience with exchanging a diamond past the standard return period (I think he bought it from Blue Nile or James Allen), or has examples of a really pretty square setting for a round diamond, or advice on how I can make my bf feel better about it, please do share :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Return/exchange diamond

• I would think that he would be able to return the ring where he got it in exchange for a different one. It might be a little tougher with an online retailer, but my guess is it's possible. He should look into that first.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• The same thing happened to me, I was obsessed with emerald cut diamonds, but couldn't find a setting that I liked to go with it. BF's friend's family owns a jewelry store and he put a deposit on an emerald cut diamond. When we finally did go look at e-rings and I tried on different styles, I wanted a round cut. I don't know if BF lost money on the deal (he said he didn't) since in the end my mom gave us her diamond, but I don't think your BF would have a problem exchanging it.

Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • My stone is a round cut set in a cusion-shaped halo setting (Like a square but with rounded corners). Perhaps this would work for you without having to change the center stone shape?

I have no idea on how returns/exchanges work. Your BF will probably just have to call the retailer and see what they say. I will tell you that round stones are supposed to be the most sparkly because of the cut and shape. Did your BF purchase a loose diamond or an actual ring? I'd guess he might loose some money on a loose diamond unless they were willing to do some sort of an exchange. Here's a pic of what mine looks like in case this setting might work for you:

1 CT. T.W. Diamond Frame Bridal Set in 14K White Gold - Gordon's Jewelers

• can you show us pictures of rings that you love, that way we can get a sense for your style? 

I wanted a princess or round cut (I thought), and just one diamond (not the 3-stone style), but ended up with an oval diamond sided with two small triangles.  I love it, even though it is not what I thought I wanted.  you just never know!
  • allusive007 said:

My stone is a round cut set in a cusion-shaped halo setting (Like a square but with rounded corners). Perhaps this would work for you without having to change the center stone shape?

I have no idea on how returns/exchanges work. Your BF will probably just have to call the retailer and see what they say. I will tell you that round stones are supposed to be the most sparkly because of the cut and shape. Did your BF purchase a loose diamond or an actual ring? I'd guess he might loose some money on a loose diamond unless they were willing to do some sort of an exchange. Here's a pic of what mine looks like in case this setting might work for you:

1 CT. T.W. Diamond Frame Bridal Set in 14K White Gold - Gordon's Jewelers

That's really beautiful! It's just round enough for a round stone but not too round. The one I was looking at is very similar, but more square, because I didn't think any of the round halo rings I tried looked nice on my hand. I really love the detailing on this setting, but not sure if it would look nice with a round stone.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited October 2013
    this setting has a round stone, but looks square with the actual setting: 

http://www.bluenile.com/cushion-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold_34242

what do you think about something like that?  I love looking at bling!

ETA:  and this!
    http://www.bluenile.com/duet-halo-engagement-ring-in-platinum_33607
  • I love both of CocoBella's suggestions! I will say my center stone often gets mistaken for a princess cut...I think the setting looks more square in real life.

I would seriously recommend going to a few jewelers and trying things on. I had an idea of what I liked in my head, but once I started trying things on I ended up in a totally different direction. Sometimes things just look different than you'd expect on your own hand.

• My ring is also a round diamond in a cushion setting, and people have asked if it's a square or cushion stone.  I love the halo look, it can completely change the way the stone looks in the setting.  Why don't you and your BF go shopping together so you can try some things on and see what you really like before he goes to the trouble of making a return?  We shopped over the course of a few months, then narrowed it down to 3 rings, and H made the final choice, so there was still an element of surprise for me.  He chose correctly.  ;)  
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • I have a cushion cut diamond set in a square halo so I would assume that you could add a square halo to a round diamond as well.

• I just have a funny story to share in regard to this. So my last relationship, my ex proposed.. and when he had initially bought the ring he didnt tell me, but had told me he dropped by my favorite jewelry store and was talking with my jeweler and said that he had seen this ring (Back ground, I detest yellow gold) and as he was describing the ring I interrupted him and said " ugh I hate that ring, its so ugly" (I had seen the ring before due to the sheer amount of time I spent in that store). He got quiet all fo the sudden and I was like WHAT? and he admit that he had bought that ring for me. We went and exchanged it for the one I had wanted.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards