Wedding Etiquette Forum

Brothers Getting Married: Is there etiquette for this?

My fiance's brother and his girlfriend are getting married 4 months after us. Their uncles want to throw a party for the four of us so that family friends can meet us. It isn't a shower or an engagement party, but a get-together. There are folks who will be invited to their wedding and not ours and vice versa. What's the etiquette here? I know that anyone invited to pre-wedding parties/events must be invited to the wedding. Everyone invited to this party will be invited to the wedding - just not necessarily both weddings. Thoughts?

Re: Brothers Getting Married: Is there etiquette for this?

• I really think it's covered under the fact that thy are coming because of the couple who's wedding they are going to be invited to. You don't need to invite everyone else who is going to your brothers wedding simply because they are attending that event.
  • Who are the guests that won't be invited to both?
    If they are yours and the other bride's immediate families (parents, siblings and SOs) I think it is fine. I would not invite any friends or WP. If it is a family party for the grooms' family to meet the future in laws then that's fine.
    This assumes you are inviting all of the grooms family that will be there and the same is said for the other wedding.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• aefowler said:
    My fiance's brother and his fiancee are getting married 4 months after us. Their uncles want to throw a party for the four of us so that family friends can meet us. It isn't a shower or an engagement party, but a get-together. There are folks who will be invited to their wedding and not ours and vice versa. What's the etiquette here? I know that anyone invited to pre-wedding parties/events must be invited to the wedding. Everyone invited to this party will be invited to the wedding - just not necessarily both weddings. Thoughts?
    FTFY
    Anniversary
  • It doesn't sound like a pre-wedding party to me (since it's not a shower and it's not an engagement party). It sounds like a family get together. As long as the uncle keeps the wedding out of it and stays on the family get-together track, I see no issues with this at all.
    *********************************************************************************

• The guests that won't be invited to both are some of the brothers' parents' friends. We have a ~300 guest list while his brother has ~150 on theirs so other than family our guest lists look differently. As an example, FI's parents are great friends with 3 couples and we can accommodate them to our wedding, but FI's brother can't because of size restrictions of their venue. It would defeat the purpose of a "meet the girls" get together if they had to limit the guest list only to those invited to both because that'd essentially be family & they really want it to be a family friends type of party. Hope that makes sense!

Oops - I still slip up with the girlfriend/boyfriend v. fiance terminology!
  • I think that if uncle can keep it as a non-wedding-related party, like an open house, then you're fine.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think that if uncle can keep it as a non-wedding-related party, like an open house, then you're fine.
    This.
  • I don't see an issue with this assuming it is an open house, "meet the brides" type party.
    Agreed with this. Luckily my brother's parties and my parties are kept separate :) but my brother is getting married 3 weeks after me. It's been interesting planning.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • My fiance's brother is getting married 3 months after we are as well and it does make planning interesting--I really feel like we have to coordinate guest lists or something.

I think the party your family is planning sounds fine and more like a family gathering than a wedding related event.
  • Awesome! My fiance's mom asked me about the etiquette and clearly I came straight to this board. I feel much better giving her the confirmation that an "open house" type party is the way to go. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards