Flowers

Sparse ceremony decoration

We are getting married in my family church. The sanctuary is beautiful inside with 30 foot ceilings, gorgeous woodwork, and a beautiful stained glass window behind the ten-foot mahoghany and gold-leafed altar. We are planning to have two tall arrangements flanking either side of the area just in front of the altar, where we will stand during the ceremony. We will reuse these at the reception. We've come across a little room in the budget for extra flowers at the ceremony site, but I simply don't think their necessary because of the beauty of the space.

However, I am wondering what other's did to decorate in grandiose churches. Did you just do a few arrangements for the sanctuary? Pew arrangements? My inclination is to use that money towards better food and drink at the reception but I also don't want guests thinking the ceremony site seemed empty or underdressed.

Re: Sparse ceremony decoration

• drmrs2014 said:

My inclination is to use that money towards better food and drink at the reception but I also don't want guests thinking the ceremony site seemed empty or underdressed.

I would do this. No one expect your florist will care more about the decor than the food. Better food and drinks are the things most guests care the most about! :-D
    GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I would put the money towards food and drinks for your guests.  Decorating the church in an over the top manner is kind of pointless in my opinion.  If the church is already amazing as in then it doesn't really need any additional decor.  Also, you want the primary focus to be the two of you up at the alter.  If you start decorating all around the church then the focus of your guests shifts off of you and they will start scanning the room to look at the rest of the decor.  Finally, your photographer will be focused at the alter getting pictures of the two of you marrying each other...those are the pictures you want, not 100 pictures of your flower arrangements in the church.

• I was in similar situation, the church was already very beatiful. We opted for some nice alter flower arrangements and a few pew bows. We didn't want to take away from the beauty of the church which is one of the big reasons I wanted to get married there.

• The chapel we used was renovated a couple of months before our wedding.  They had incredibly strict rules about decor so I decided to save myself the headache and not do anything.  If anyone had an issue with it they had the good manners not to say anything to me.  I did get compliments on the food, dj, and cookie table at the reception.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i agree with you. my wedding in next week - yikes!! - and i'm not decoratingn anything except for some bows on the pews. there is a HUGE stain glass window behind the alter, and everyone at the church is telling me to not bother with anything to decorate. so i'm listening to them. they know - so go with the advice given!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards