Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Before you post - please read!

Welcome to Food and Cakes! Got questions about how many tiers to get on your cake? Need suggestions for tasty vegetarian dishes?  Want some signature cocktail suggestions? Want to share your fabulous menu? You're in the right place!

Looking for local recommendations? Please use the search bar located on the right to find your area and post there for local information.

Re: Before you post - please read!

• No one else has started this so I guess I will...I'm a vegetarian, as are many of my family members, and we're having a mixed menu. We're going to have a veggie/fruit/dip bar, and different types of cold salads (pasta, chicken, potato) as well as varying sandwiches, and possible a heavier pasta dish.
  • I am having a duet of roasted chicken in a lemon-tarragon cream sauce and grilled sirloin. I will ahve an eggplant tower for my vegetarian and gluten free guests, and either risotto or roasted potatoes, steamed vegetables, and the wedding cake will either be strawberry lemon or hazelnut flavored(if FI does not want lemon strawberry).
  • I plan on having a chicken and a lamb dish. The FI and I are in love with red velvet...
  • gemi17gemi17 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2014
    I am vegetarian, no one else is. I am eating suffed portabella mushrooms. We are having a steak dish and a chicken dish. We also have a mixed greens salad. We are stuck on accompaniments-I guess mashed potatoes and cauliflower gratin. Dessert aside from the cake is cheese cake or lemon mousse. For hor derves- cheese display with fruit and spinich pie and risoto balls. 

Cake we are stuck on- we want to keep costs down so im conflicted between doing cupcakes that could be more expensive or may be a 3 circular 8 in cakes. 
  • gemi17 said:
    I am vegetarian, no one else is. I am eating suffed portabella mushrooms. We are having a steak dish and a chicken dish. We also have a mixed greens salad. We are stuck on accompaniments-I guess mashed potatoes and cauliflower gratin. Dessert aside from the cake is cheese cake or lemon mousse. For hor derves- cheese display with fruit and spinich pie and risoto balls. 

Cake we are stuck on- we want to keep costs down so im conflicted between doing cupcakes that could be more expensive or may be a 3 circular 8 in cakes. 
    @gemi17 - It is generally frowned upon when the bride and/or groom is eating something else that the rest of guests aren't.....it's just rude.  Even if you don't have vegetarian guests, you should still offer it as an option.  Many meat eating guests (myself included!) often like vegetarian options better.

I would also pick a veggie with some color.  Mashed potatoes and cauliflower gratin is going to look blah on the plate.

And finally, this thread just details what this board is about.  If you want ideas, suggestions, etc, please feel free to create a new thread.  Good luck!
  • As a cook, you definitely need to add some color to your plate, people eat with their eyes first. If you don't want to dont want to do a traditional medley you could go with glazed carrots, or squash, french beans are really good and have amazing color as well. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards