Honeymoon Discussions

Another balance of adventure and relaxation honeymoon request!

Our budget is around $10,000 and we have at least a week if not more available in mid June. We would like to so something that would be unlikely once kids arive. We live in Minnesota and have been to Mexico and some of Europe already. Any suggestions?

Re: Another balance of adventure and relaxation honeymoon request!

• White sand beaches are a must. And we are not the ruffing it type or the big on local culture type.
  • many places in the Caribbean? Bora Bora? Hawaii? Tahiti?
  • I am thinking away f er om the Caribbean just because I think we will be there a number of times throughout the years.
  • Bora Bora and Tahiti are in the same country. If you go to Bora Bora, you have to go to Tahiti because that is where you land. You could do a week in French Polynesia, with a mix between Moorea (adventure) and Bora Bora (relaxation). It would definitely come in around $10K if you choose 5 star resorts, as mid June is high season. You also have to make sure you are booking a resort that has a nicer beach. Some do not have that.

Another option is Costa Rica. Your budget will go WAY further there. But, the beaches may not be the exact fit.

Thailand is also an option. You could forgo some of the more cultural aspects and locations and had toward the beach areas. However, IMHO, if you are traveling internationally, you should really try to experience the culture.

So, maybe Hawaii is your best bet- beaches, activities, and American culture.

• 10k is a great budget ! We are getting married in August and plan A is Thailand plan B is Hawaii. Our budget is $7500-$8000 (not including flights which are being gifted to us by a family member with an excess of airline points). We'd love to split our time in Thailand between Bangkok & Krabi, to have gorgeous beaches & also experience a lot of the cultural components and allure of the city. If you chose this destination I would definitely want to go for longer than a week, travel times from the west coast are 20 hours + with the layovers. Long way to go if you were only going to spend 5-6 nights.

French Polynesia is gorgeous. We didn't think our budget would carry us very far over there though.

Friends of mine have gone to Machu Picchu and loved it. If you have some time and can bounce around something like that might be fun for you & you could see other more beachy destinations in the same trip if that's your thing. A woman I work with has suggested several places in Africa where she got to experience the jungle and did a lot of sight seeing. she raved about it but we were already pretty set.

We are in the same boat, we will probably be trying for children within a year/year and half of our wedding and if we do manage to swing another vacation after this I'm sure the budget will be much smaller. Thailand is perfect for us, but it's just a matter of what adventures you are looking for. We went to Mexico and loved it but just wanted to find a place where we would have more than beaches and snorkeling and deep sea fishing, because that is pretty accessible in the Caribbean.

Weather May or may not be an important consideration. I am willing to risk the weather for lower rates especially if there are plenty of things we could still do on a rainy day and if we are going for an extended period of time so odds are we will get a couple good days for longer outdoor activities. If you want to be able to count on sunshine pretty much the whole time I would search for the best destinations for June travel and narrow it down from there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards