Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Best ways to deal with a pushy register consultant?

BabebetBabebet member
First Comment
edited October 2013 in Registry and Gift Forum
After visiting a BB&B to register with my Fiance I encountered a very pushy sales woman, I was so overwhelemed I left early faking an 'appointment'.  I noticed other people have had this problem as well. I was wondering what are the best ways to confront a consultant who is overbearing? How do you let them know that you want to be in charge without coming off as agressive or rude? I want to register in store because I like physically seeing what I am signing up for. What are y'alls suggestions on this?

Best Answers

Re: Best ways to deal with a pushy register consultant?

• Options
    our sales consultant started walking with us and I just said nicely, we knew what we wanted so do not need additional help right now.  she gave us the scanner and let us go to town, checking in every now and then.  Afterwards I updated online so I did not keep my fiance there for too long :) 

Anniversary
  • Options
    Honestly I just decided to delete the registry and go somewhere else.  I'm not a confrontational person, and I wouldn't feel comfortable calling the manager while the consultant was standing right there.  I know that's what people always suggest, but I think it takes a certain personality to do that, I just don't have it. I did tell our consultant we knew what we wanted and I asked for the scan gun.  He flat out told us no.  Maybe I should have pursued it, but I don't like to cause a scene.

I did call BBB's customer service after the experience to let them know what happened and to tell them I would no longer be doing business with them because of their pushy registry consultants.  Ours didn't just push us, ours actually registered us for things we told him flat out we didn't want.  I found that entirely inappropriate.  And honestly, all these years I've been judging brides who register for like 2 or 3 sets of pots and pans at BBB.... now I sort of wonder if the same thing didn't happen to them, and if they just didn't check their registries when they got home.

I just decided that if my wedding was likely to generate several thousand dollars of sales for a particular store, I wanted it to be at a store that treated me and H appropriately.  We switched to Macy's instead and it worked great for us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I went in stores and picked out my important things like china, goblets, and flatware, wrote down their names and then went home and registered online. I liked doing it online because I could read reviews. We were long distance at the time of our engagement, so the only way to do it semi-together was online which I ended up really liking!
    1385876 10200959833108451 1467805166 n
  • Options
    I'd tell the consultant, "Thanks, but I'd like to walk around right now and figure out what I want.  I'll come see you if I have any questions."  And if that didn't make her back off, I'd ask for the manager and explain that the consultant is making me uncomfortable with her aggressiveness.
  • Options
    kitty8403kitty8403 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    hoffse said: Honestly I just decided to delete the registry and go somewhere else.  I'm not a confrontational person, and I wouldn't feel comfortable calling the manager while the consultant was standing right there.  I know that's what people always suggest, but I think it takes a certain personality to do that, I just don't have it. I did tell our consultant we knew what we wanted and I asked for the scan gun.  He flat out told us no.  Maybe I should have pursued it, but I don't like to cause a scene.
    I did call BBB's customer service after the experience to let them know what happened and to tell them I would no longer be doing business with them because of their pushy registry consultants.  Ours didn't just push us, ours actually registered us for things we told him flat out we didn't want.  I found that entirely inappropriate.  And honestly, all these years I've been judging brides who register for like 2 or 3 sets of pots and pans at BBB.... now I sort of wonder if the same thing didn't happen to them, and if they just didn't check their registries when they got home.
    I just decided that if my wedding was likely to generate several thousand dollars of sales for a particular store, I wanted it to be at a store that treated me and H appropriately.  We switched to Macy's instead and it worked great for us.

(Quote box)  Online registries can also have this problem. I realized this when my mother questioned some of my linens selections and I hadn't even gotten to that department yet. Apparently some computer systems will auto-populate registries with suggestions or popular buys. And then you get to go through and pull off what you
    don't want.
  • Options
    hoffse said:
    Honestly I just decided to delete the registry and go somewhere else.  I'm not a confrontational person, and I wouldn't feel comfortable calling the manager while the consultant was standing right there.  I know that's what people always suggest, but I think it takes a certain personality to do that, I just don't have it. I did tell our consultant we knew what we wanted and I asked for the scan gun.  He flat out told us no.  Maybe I should have pursued it, but I don't like to cause a scene.

This happened to my FI and I too. I'm glad to know it wasn't just me. When we objected to what she told us to register for, she repeatedly told us "you're too young, you don't know what you need." After the experience, I called the store manager and that woman was taken off our registry as the consultant.

In retrospect, I should have done was @maggie0829 did. We were just so unsure of how it worked, we didn't know any better than to have the consultant walk around with us.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards