Maine

October outdoor wedding.. to cold?

So I am thinking about doing an outdoor wedding the second week of October and I am just wondering if people think it would be to cold for an outdoor reception? I was thinking a reception with a bon fire and people tenting outside but now that I am thinking about it I am not sure if October will be to cold for that! Anyone have any advice or experience with this?
In a few years I will be marrying my best friend since Childhood :)

Re: October outdoor wedding.. to cold?

• I went to a wedding the second weekend in October last fall, and it was in the high 30s/low 40s (southern Maine).  The ceremony was outside before the sun went down, and sitting there for 20ish minutes before the ceremony started and then for the 10 minute ceremony was a bit chilly.  The reception was inside in an unheated space. They had space heaters going, but unless you were right by it, it didn't help.  It was so cold that most people left right after dinner and didn't stay for the dances, cake cutting, etc.  As someone who really doesn't deal well with the cold, I was miserable and we only stayed because the couple are good friends of ours.

I think hosting an entirely outdoor wedding in mid-October is risky.  A short ceremony (with a back-up plan for rain) would be reasonable, but not an entire wedding.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It is 50/50.  I got married on Oct 7th last fall (in Mass, but considered Maine options) and it was chilly.  Of course the same date in 2011, it was unusually warm. You never know what you are going to get with weather, but if you like the date, go for it.  I would just give your guests a heads up for what to expect.
  • Thank you Molly for the advice the Average temperature at this time high of 60 and low of 42... So not to bad for mainers.
    In a few years I will be marrying my best friend since Childhood :)
  • I've been to a few outside columbus day weddings in Maine that were outdoors. I was freezing.
  • i'm having my wedding in october, and honestly i am not worried about it.  most of our guests are from maine or familiar with how the weather can be in maine, so i am sure they will dress accordingly.  i wasnt worried about the weather because i have always dreamed of having a fall wedding because it is my favorite season, i wouldnt base it off of weather. IMO.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agree with Joellen. I am getting married over columbus day weekend with the ceremony outside. People know that the ceremony is outside and to dress accordingly. You never know with New England so I wouldn't worry too much!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just got married last weekend, November 2nd, and although our wedding and reception were inside, it was 65 degrees and sunny ... so as people said with New England weather ... you just never know :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards