Registry and Gift Forum

Williams-Sonoma Wine registry - thoughts?

I'm registered at Williams-Sonoma. On the registry item list page, there's always adverts to add their wine to the registry. Was wondering if anyone has actually done this before? 

Cool/interesting? Tacky? Lame/Weird? (I'm just curious as to what other people think, not actually thinking of doing this)  :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Williams-Sonoma Wine registry - thoughts?

• I think it is rude to register for consumables (wine, k-cups, tea, etc.) because I feel like I'm buying your groceries.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I think it is fine, so long as you have more traditional things on your registry too. One of our friends gave us several wines from where we went to school (we moved far away) and it was one of our favorite gifts. Wine is a gift we like to give, and would be happy to give a special bottle as a wedding gift. That being said, some people feel like April, and don't want to buy it as a gift, so make sure they have choices too. I don't want to buy anyone bedsheets, but I don't think it is weird to register for them. I think this is the same thing.
  • Interesting. I wouldn't side eye wine as much as coffee and tea. And I don't think it's odd if someone gives a gift basket with wine or edibles. Hmmmm, I guess I don't think it's the worst idea. I just probably still wouldn't buy it. I wouldn't register for them personally, the kind of wine I'd prefer to receive prolly isn't sold at WS ;)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Interesting. I wouldn't side eye wine as much as coffee and tea. And I don't think it's odd if someone gives a gift basket with wine or edibles. Hmmmm, I guess I don't think it's the worst idea. I just probably still wouldn't buy it. I wouldn't register for them personally, the kind of wine I'd prefer to receive prolly isn't sold at WS ;)
    i was actually surprised at what they offered...for kicks and giggles:

but yea, I wouldn't think seeing this on a registry would be as weird as seeing coffee, tea, or even some skimpy lingerie/warming lotion combo (true story! a college friend of mine had this on her reigstry...she said it was the only thing that wasn't purchased!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think wine would be fine, as long as you have some other physical gifts on the registry.

Some guests will give food baskets as a wedding gift, so I don't see wine as anything different. Also not much different than giving a couple money toward their HM- that money will be spent on an experience, same with the wine. 

• I don't have a prpblem with wine, just have more traditional items as well.

Anniversary
  • casey8784 said:
    Interesting. I wouldn't side eye wine as much as coffee and tea. And I don't think it's odd if someone gives a gift basket with wine or edibles. Hmmmm, I guess I don't think it's the worst idea. I just probably still wouldn't buy it. I wouldn't register for them personally, the kind of wine I'd prefer to receive prolly isn't sold at WS ;)
    i was actually surprised at what they offered...for kicks and giggles:

but yea, I wouldn't think seeing this on a registry would be as weird as seeing coffee, tea, or even some skimpy lingerie/warming lotion combo (true story! a college friend of mine had this on her reigstry...she said it was the only thing that wasn't purchased!)
    All be darned! I actually like the first one listed! I'd be game! I had a friend ask if she can just register for alcohol - I'm going to go call her and tell her yes she can after all!! :-p
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I don't think I would put it on a registry.

But if (in theory) you think of a registry as a guideline to give examples of what you like then maybe an argument can be made for adding one or two bottles. 

For example, a friend bought us 3 bottles of wine as our wedding present from a local winery.  We like wine and we love supporting local business so this was a cool gift....however one of the bottles of wine is white and we don't drink white.  If she saw red wine on the registry maybe she still would have gone off registry but avoided the white and gotten 3 bottles of red instead. 

Getting a little "theoretical" here since you asked as a just curious question and aren't really thinking of doing it :)

• Before you get too excited, check and make sure they will ship to your state.  Many states don't permit alcohol to be shipped to non-commercial customers, and WS's wine registry doesn't work in those states.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not sure this is even legal in my state. I know a lot of wine clubs and web retailers cannot ship wine to me. I'd suggest making sure you live in a state where online retailers are permitted to actually send your wine before registering for something like that!
  • I wouldn't side-eye wine, though. I've been known to create romantic night out or gourmet cooking baskets for weddings with lots of food or drink items, so consumables in general don't bother me.
  • kitty8403 said:
    I wouldn't side-eye wine, though. I've been known to create romantic night out or gourmet cooking baskets for weddings with lots of food or drink items, so consumables in general don't bother me.
    If I/you want to buy wine or consumables as a wedding gift that is one thing, but to me it is weird to put it on a registry.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • AprilH81 said:
    kitty8403 said:
    I wouldn't side-eye wine, though. I've been known to create romantic night out or gourmet cooking baskets for weddings with lots of food or drink items, so consumables in general don't bother me.
    If I/you want to buy wine or consumables as a wedding gift that is one thing, but to me it is weird to put it on a registry.
    I think wine is one of the few consumables that a registry makes sense for. If I want to buy mac and cheese for the bride and groom, I might not know their favorite brand, but no biggie it's mac and cheese. There's so much variety and personal preference that I'd like a direction on what to get for wine, especially if I'm not super close to the bride and groom, but know they like wine. So, I wouldn't recommend only registering for wine, but I don't think it hurts anyone to have a few bottles on a registry. 

Anniversary
  • chibiyui said:
    AprilH81 said:
    kitty8403 said:
    I think wine is one of the few consumables that a registry makes sense for. If I want to buy mac and cheese for the bride and groom, I might not know their favorite brand, but no biggie it's mac and cheese. There's so much variety and personal preference that I'd like a direction on what to get for wine, especially if I'm not super close to the bride and groom, but know they like wine. So, I wouldn't recommend only registering for wine, but I don't think it hurts anyone to have a few bottles on a registry. 

This is where I am too. We love wine and aren't registering for any (though I'd be tempted if we planned on registering at WS) but while someone may know we enjoy wine they may not know if we prefer Cabernet or Zinfandel, fruity Chardonnay or dry, etc. I would side eye it if that was the whole registry, but if it's a few items I take no issue with it.
  • i'd love it.  but PA isn't cooperative!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DID SOMEONE SAY WINE REGISTRY????

This is so great for the more established couples who don't really need household items.. God bless Williams Sonoma....  I am so in. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards