Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

White vest/tie with Ivory Dress???

Hi Brides,  I need help!  My wedding dress is Ivory (but you can't really tell) and I don't know if my groom should wear a white Vest/Tie or get an Ivory one?  I am nervous if it is white then it will make my dress look more Ivory thank white.  And if I should get Ivory, will that look ok with a white shirt for him?  My girls are wearing Coral, so I was going to do the groomsmen wear wear either a dark charcoal or Black (Haven't decided yet) with a charcoal/black vest and coral tie.  And the groom Wear charcoal/grey and a white (or Ivory) vest and tie....Thoughts????  I dont really know much about tuxes.

Thank you for everyones help!

Re: White vest/tie with Ivory Dress???

• Options
    edited October 2013
    cciletti25 said: Hi Brides,  I need help!  My wedding dress is Ivory (but you can't really tell) and I don't know if my groom should wear a white Vest/Tie or get an Ivory one?  I am nervous if it is white then it will make my dress look more Ivory thank white.  And if I should get Ivory, will that look ok with a white shirt for him? Yes.  My girls are wearing Coral, so I was going to do the groomsmen wear wear either a dark charcoal or Black (Haven't decided yet) with a charcoal/black vest and coral tie.  And the groom Wear charcoal/grey and a white (or Ivory) vest and tie....Thoughts????  I dont really know much about tuxes. Thank you for everyones help!

**stuck in the quote box**

I honestly would not worry about it. I did an allure gown that had a "cafe" satin underlay and an "ivory" lace overlay (
    definitely not white) and my groom wore a white shirt and black bow tie (no vest) with his black tux. 

I might be in the minority here but I don't really like the look of vests with tuxes or suits anyway. It reminds me of prom - especially if they're colored. I would skip the vests all together and have your groom in a white shirt and an ivory based tie and the GMs in white shirts with a coral based tie (maybe coral/ivory stripe so it doesn't look prom-y). I think the charcoal suits sound really nice with what you have planned.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    This is 100% your decision, but I would recommend making an appointment with a salon, going through color swatches, and just trying stuff on to see what you like, even if you don't decide to buy/rent from that place.

Just a general comment -- white really is not that flattering on most people. It's better if you have a dark skin tone, but it's still highly reflective and can be problematic to photograph. Since you will be in ivory, I suggest putting your groom in something that offers more contrast when he's standing next to you -- you'll both stand out better in pictures. Maybe a charcoal tux and a lighter gray vest, for example? 
  • Options
    My dress is ivory because this is my second wedding but my FI is wearing a white dress shirt because this is his first wedding and the ivory shirt he tried on looks dingy. I think it's really up to you. My FI is wearing brown pants so that ties into the ivory somewhat. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    white dress shirts look totally fine with ivory dresses.  I had my husband wear lavender because he said the only day he would wear purple was our wedding day, lol so I had to take advantage.  But we had the white shirt still as "back up" and I promise they look totally fine with ivory bridal dresses.  Some of the ivory dress shirts will look a little dingy and yellowish in pictures too. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    It's actually 100% your FI's decision. He picks his own attire.

My DH wore a white shirt and silver tie (his call). I was in ivory. You can't tell.
  • Options
    It really is up to you. If it doesn't bother you, then go for it. If that's what he wants and is most comfortable in, go for it. 

Personally my dress is going to be ivory. We put it against white and it was noticeable, so he's wearing an ivory tie with an ivory vest. It looks awesome on him! 

So really go with what makes you guys look best! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Men should be in white.  See, a women's ivory wedding dress doesn't look ivory.  It's more of a softer white.  Men's ivory (shirt, tie, whatever) definitely looks ivory.  It's more of a yellowy color and it just looks dingy.  Keep men in white for a clean, crisp look and you'll never notice the difference against your ivory dress.
  • Options
    I disagree.  If your dress is ivory, the men should be in ivory also.  Your dress will look dingy next to a white shirt.
  • Options
    Ven&Radio said:
    I disagree.  If your dress is ivory, the men should be in ivory also.  Your dress will look dingy next to a white shirt.
    It all depends on the fabric too. Not every ivory/white clash/doesn't clash. If you can get a swatch of your dress or even his shirt and put it next to each other, then you would have a better idea. That's what we did.

If we went with white for his shirt and tie, my dress looked "dirty". Putting him in ivory on ivory looked sooo awesome on him, so go with what makes him comfortable and looks good? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    Ven&Radio said:
    A woman's ivory wedding dress and a man's ivory dress shirt are two totally different colors.  I've yet to see an ivory wedding dress that looks dingy, even if the man wears white.

I had an ivory wedding dress and you would never know it was ivory looking at it.  It's really just a softer white. In all my photos, it looks like I'm wearing white.  It's just not that "paper white" of a true white wedding gown.  In fact, most wedding dresses are ivory (or diamond white, etc).....not many people wear true white because it's not flattering for most.

Now, a man's ivory dress shirt definitely looks ivory.  It has that distinct yellow color. If you like that yellowy color, then go for it!  We liked the classic, clean look.  My ivory dress and DH's white shirt look identical in photos and that's what we wanted.
  • Options
    Ven&Radio said:

Not at all true. For anyone lurking, let your FI wear a white shirt if he wants to. No one will think a beautiful wedding dress looks "dingy".
  • Options
    itzMS said:
    Not at all true. For anyone lurking, let your FI wear a white shirt if he wants to. No one will think a beautiful wedding dress looks "dingy".

I think you'd be surprised.....
    I'm not saying me of course, but I know of a few women (in FI's family) that are very obsessive when it comes to things that match and go together or clash. It'll bother them so much they can't focus on anything else.....

"It's a beautiful dress but god it looks horrid against that color of bridesmaid dresses..." or similar comments like this. So you never know. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wore ivory,and my husband wore white. You can't tell the difference. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Most can't. If it doesn't matter to you guys that's all that DOES matter =) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like the options that @doeydo gave. My dress is ivory and I'm 99% sure that FI wants to do a white shirt. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards