Wedding Woes

Blame it on the al-al-al-alcohol... ...not.

Dear Prudence,
My husband is a man of excellent character. We don’t keep secrets from each other; we even share our passwords. We’ve been together four years and married for one. A month ago, my best friend, who is quite large-chested, stayed the night at our house. The three of us had quite a bit to drink. In the morning my husband sat me and my friend down and made a confession. He said he had put his phone in her bedroom hoping to make a video of her getting undressed, but he forgot to hit the record button. He said he was telling us because he felt so guilty and that he was sorry that what he intended to do was so super creepy. I was very angry and made sure he really understood how badly he'd hurt me and my friend. My friend said what he tried to do was terrible, but we all agreed to move on. He spent weeks apologizing profusely. We established he didn’t have an emotional attraction to my friend and this was not part of a pattern of behavior. He explained he felt as if he wasn't himself for a few minutes, and it scared him. He was very angry with himself, but he's been able to work through and forgive himself. Now, a month later my friend says she needs therapy for what happened, and is convinced that my husband has some sort of deep sexual and psychological problem. I understand she feels violated; however, I can't help but feel that she is projecting some of her other issues into this situation. She told another close friend, who encouraged her to file a report with the police on my husband. I asked her not to. The second friend then called and criticized me for telling the first friend not to call the police. So now, I’m angry at my husband for causing a rift in my two closest friendships, and angry at my friends for wanting to take such drastic action against him (they’ve both decided not to contact the police). I’m concerned they will tell more people and my husband and I will have to just live with the consequences. I’m thinking of ending my friendship with the two women, even though I know one is the victim—thankfully we live in different cities—because I don’t see how we’ll remain close as the years go on and we have children. I just don’t know what to do or think.

—What a Mess

Re: Blame it on the al-al-al-alcohol... ...not.

• I don't even know what to think here. I'm usually all "in vino veritas" but if he's really never done something like this before - Are they young? Maybe it was just stupid impulsivity brought on by drinking? Or maybe he is a total creeper, although I don't think they confess stuff like this. 

I am not confused on the issue of calling the cops. Basically what happened is that the dude left his phone in someone's room. That's it. There was no crime committed. 

I don't know. I sort of feel like everyone overreacted, but I also sort of feel like everyone's entitled to their feelings in this situation, and that my opinions are colored by the fact that my friends are a flirty bunch, and at this age, I'd just be all "Dude. The tits are not that great. You're just interested in my bras."
  • Wow.  Baconsmom, your standards are loooooooooooow.
  • WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited November 2013

i don't think they overreacted at all. i think the wife is underreacting, and should be more prepared to lose more relationships with people as they find out about what her husband did (rather, intended to do).

i'm not sure i think there is any similarity with being a flirty bunch and trying to secretly record your spouses's friend naked. what was he planning to do with the video?

• Alcohol can enable you to do some seriously stupid things that don't necessarily fall slam dunk into the category of wrong.

IDK where I fall on this.  The husband is obviously definitely wrong, but what else can he do but apologize?  He confessed w/out being caught, so I do tend to fall into believing him.  He could've just hid it.  I empathize with the friend's feelings and the wife's feelings too.  Obviously, these friendships are over.

I don't know how I feel about the police report.  On the one hand, I want to say these ladies are overreacting since nothing did happen and he confessed and apologized for his actions.  On the other hand, this is a total violation, even if it didn't happen.

I actually want to know how the husband worked through it and how they've established this isn't a pattern of behavior.
  • Even if it isn't a pattern of behavior, it's seriously rape-think.
  • sounds rapey to me. but i tend to overreact like that, if i were at my friend's home and found out her husband wanted to secretly take a video of me naked. friend can forgive whatever she wants, but i think it would be within my rights to feel violated.

it's one of those things you can probably shurg off it it were some creep trying to video up women's dresses on the train. but a whole other  thing knowing someone you knew would gladly do it to you if they had the chance.

• damn! total violation.
    as someone stated, it would be looked as him leaving the phone in the other room.
    Personally that friendship is bound to end. No one is gonna feel comfortable around each other, and if I was that friend, I would totally avoid.

Why didn't he just tell his wife and they work it out? Guess his conscience was riding him.

I don't know how I would look at my husband after him confessing that....

• It is rapey. But so is almost everything on television, on the internet, in media in general. He's a product of our culture. And he confessed immediately, apologized "profusely" according to the letter writer. 

I'm not saying he's not kind of a creep. He is. But alcohol definitely lowers inhibitions, and obviously his inhibitions are that this is not appropriate. One hopes that he won't drink to excess in the future. 

(And by "flirty", I just mean that if we all got wasted, someone would just ask to see my tits. Which seems like it would be easier and lead to less embarrassment and violation of privacy.) 
  • WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited November 2013

bmom, do you think there is no difference in asking to see your boobs, and hiding a recorder that you cannot see and taking photos without your permission? these are two different things....just my opinion, but i don't really think it's an opinion. it really is different.

• Yes, exactly, Wzz.  Do boundaries get blurred when you're hammered such that someone would ASK to see your boobs, or does drunkenness reveal a side of your friends that would just feel entitled to see them without even bothering to ask you?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards