Honeymoon Discussions

Bora Bora or Europe?

I always wanted to go to Bora Bora for my honeymoon. The very first movie my fiance and I ever watched was "The Couple's Retreat" . However, I looked into the hotels recently, and found out it is gonna cost a fortune just to laying on the beach in Bora Bora. Fiance suggested Europe, like Greece or Nice, France, which are both very beautiful, but I feel like an Europe trip will not be as relaxing as a beach honeymoon. 

Where is everything going for your honeymoon? Also, do you plan the trip by yourself or using a travel agent?

Thanks!!!

Re: Bora Bora or Europe?

• Bora Bora is one of my favorite places in the world. I've been a few times and just returned from there earlier this week. You're right- it's not cheap! What time of year are you traveling? It's more expensive there during our summer. You should expect to spend at least $8k for a week, but costs will widely vary depending on dates, length of stay, room category, or resort. Couples Retreat does not do the destination justice, as it's not all inclusive, there are no wellness programs, there are no party islands, and the resort, The St. Regis, is one of the priciest in the country. A lot of people won't go to Bora Bora unless they stay in an OWB, but to be honest, there are some great beach or hillside bungalows that are less expensive and have awesome views. They are the ones that will get you to that $8k price, depending on time of year. OWBs rates are at least $900/night and at the fancier resorts, even more.
    I would not go to Europe just to sit on the beach, but some areas are great for a mix. You would also get more for your money there, though. Again, depending of time of year, you might not be able to enjoy the beach there.

As for an agent, you need to chat with your FI and be on the same page with what you can spend and what type of trip you want. I would then contact an agent that specializes in the destination you choose. they will be able to find the right place for your personality and budget and will be able to guide you through the whole process and plan fun things to do.

• @Jells2dot0 Thank you so much! Our wedding in on May 25, 2014, and the honeymoon will be in June 2014. Is it a more expensive time of the year for Bora Bora? Do you have any recommendation on resort to stay? $8k would be our budget for the entire honeymoon.
  • So, yes, June is one of the most expensive times to be there. One option is to try Moorea- gorgeous lagoons, lush, and has more activity options for your FI if he wants things to do. In Moorea, i'd go with the Sofitel. You can get an overwater there for less than most resorts in Bora Bora. Moorea is also less expensive because you don't need any interisland flights. You can just take a ferry. The flights to Bora Bora will run you $350-$400 per person (plus the $1400 per person or so to get there from LAX) in Bora Bora, check out the Le Moana for an OWB. Decent beach, nice lagoon, and good value. If you are willing to try different room categories that aren't over the water, there are many options. It will depend on what you want out of the resort.

• you're going to run into the same issue of cost with europe although you're generalizing ahuge area compared to an island.

tbat being said if you are ok with waiting until late sept/early oct for europe it will save you a fortune and you'll avoid beig there when it's super hot and overloaded with tourists. you'd do much better with 8k in the off season than in june.

the fares are out now. price it out.

• See, I've laid on the beach in Greece and loved it.  I've been here with friends a few years ago: http://www.doryssa.gr/en/home-page  And returned to the same island (Samos) in 2012 with my Fiance in late May (it wasn't nearly as hot as it was when I'd been in July).

I can understand not wanting to go to Europe to just lay on the beach, but if you spent a week on a small island, you could do just that but still experience local culture.  

Bora Bora is a trip of a lifetime though, and if you can swing it for a honeymoon, go for it!

• If you can't swing Bora Bora the way you want it for you honeymoon, nothing wrong with saving up and doing it on an anniversary!  

FWIW, we went to Moorea and Bora Bora.  I really liked Moorea and, as Jells said, it's cheaper.  We stayed at the Hilton and the snorkeling was amazing.  There was more to do on the island too.  And we stayed in our own private bungalow with plunge pool....not a bad (cheaper!) alternative to the OWB.
  • We just got back from our honeymoon in Bora Bora and it was the most SPECTACULAR place ever! We have been to Santorini, West Coast pf Mexico, Carribbean, Nice/Monaco/Cannes/St Tropez...and while all of them are gorgeous, they don't hold a candle to Bora Bora. We did not venture over to Moorea so I cannot speak for the cost there, but Jells is right when she says BB is expensive. I'm sure we could have cut down costs in many ways, but this was by FAR the most expensive vacation we have ever taken. But what i must say to that... WORTH EVERY PENNY! If you can swing it, do it! If not, there are plenty of other amazing places you can go to, and save up for a BB anniversary trip in the future...something to look forward to :)
  • We just got back from our honeymoon in Bora Bora and it was the most SPECTACULAR place ever! We have been to Santorini, West Coast pf Mexico, Carribbean, Nice/Monaco/Cannes/St Tropez...and while all of them are gorgeous, they don't hold a candle to Bora Bora. We did not venture over to Moorea so I cannot speak for the cost there, but Jells is right when she says BB is expensive. I'm sure we could have cut down costs in many ways, but this was by FAR the most expensive vacation we have ever taken. But what i must say to that... WORTH EVERY PENNY! If you can swing it, do it! If not, there are plenty of other amazing places you can go to, and save up for a BB anniversary trip in the future...something to look forward to :)
    We bought the tix to BB yesterday! Any recommendation on which resort to pick? Tips? Thanks ahead of time!!!
  • So, you just bought the airfare to Papeete? What about transfers and interisland air? What type of budget are you looking to spend on the hotel? What type of experience do you want- good view? Best beach? Best snorkeling? Modern or authentic? Small or large? Sorry for all of the questions, but there are lots of options. Even if you bought the air on your own, I would still consider having a Tahiti Tiare Agent book the land and secure the extras and activities you want. People do it, but I typically do not recommend booking Tahiti on your own. It's a little more involved :)

• @jells2dot0 We booked the flight and inter island fight ourselves. We've also booked thru AirBNB for Tahiti/one night, and Moorea/four nights. We still need to book a resort in BB for 3 nights. What makes BB so unique? Any recommendation on the resort? We can work with our budget if the experience is unbeatable. 

Do you recommend to book thru an agent even for Moorea? We were going to find everything ourselves, b/c we thought it would be cheaper.
  • Congrats!!!!! We stayed at the Four Seasons and it was TO DIE FOR!!!!!!!!!! The best service and experience, plus phenomenal food and a top notch spa. Im so jealous!!! I've only been back in NY for less than a week and I want to go back already!!!!!!

Other points...everyone told us we HAD to go into Vaitape (the main city) for Bloody Mary's and Villa Mahana, so we did....meh, underwhelming... Bloody's is so touristy and frankly the food left a lot to be desired. The best part was the autographed pic of Alf outside lol....Villa Mahana (took 6 months to get a reservation bc they only have 10 tables), this one is tricky. The food is great, dont get me wrong, but living in NYC we might be a little spoiled when it comes to food. The meal ran us about $350 and while great, ive had other meals that were better for the same if not less amount. If you want to cut your budget, save in these areas. The food at the Four Seasons was 10 times better.

As for excursions, we did the jet ski tour around the lagoon and it was awesome! Highly recommend! We also loved the 4x4 tour of the island to learn about the native culture. If you only have 3 days in BB tho, id personally skip it...
  • Bora bora sounds amazingg! I heard many wonderful things about it! It will cost you but it's worth it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards