Just Engaged and Proposals

July 4, 2015 Wedding Date

So my fiance and I are newly engaged and have just begun the whole planning process. We are looking at summer dates, since he is a farmer and can pretty much only do summer/winter due to planting/harvesting seasons. I really don't want to go with a winter wedding so we're leaning more towards summer. We noticed that July 4, 2015 is a Saturday and were thinking about going with that. I just wanted to get some feedback on what everyone thinks about a holiday wedding. It wouldn't be Fourth of July themed in any way, I'd definitely want to stick with our rustic/country type theme. So, what do you think? Cute or cliche?

Re: July 4, 2015 Wedding Date

• Sorry - I think holiday weddings are obnoxious. Holidays are family and friends time for me, not weddings. I wouldn't go unless you were my sister.

Not to mention holiday weddings usually pose an inconvenience to your guests - flights are more expensive, hotels are more expensive, etc. There are plenty of weekends in summer and winter - if you don't have to do it on the 4th, don't.
  • I agree with PP.  I would probably not go, and if I did go I would be pissed that I was missing my usual holiday plans.
  • Wow, definitely wasn't expecting it to be so negative! Most people I know don't do much on the Fourth, picnics, bbqs, pool parties and the like. But if it'd be that much of an inconvenience or harbor that many bad feelings we definitely don't want that.
  • I hate holiday weddings.  Holidays are time for family and friends to hang out and see each other on their own terms.  For example on 4th of July I would much rather sleep in, cook some hot dogs and burgers out on the grill, throw back a few beers and play corn hole with my friends, not get dressed up and go to a wedding.

And to add on to what PDKH said, not only are holiday weddings more expensive for your guests but they can also be more expensive for the couple being married.  Many times florists or bakers or photographers or DJs who are usually off on the holidays will charge extra to work on a holiday or during a holiday weekend.  They have lives and families as well that they would most likely much rather be with that day then working your wedding.

• I went to a wedding on the 4th once and it wasn't an inconvenience at all. They lived in the country and had their own (huge) fireworks display. I'm assuming you'd send out invitations with enough notice that people wouldn't already have plans yet. It's not like you're getting married on Christmas or Thanksgiving and taking away from family time, it's the 4th of July, a time to celebrate and party. I say do it!
  • I wouldn't have any problems going to a wedding on the 4th of July, but that's just my opinion.  I wouldn't want to go to one on Christmas, or New Years but see nothing wrong with the 4th.  My wedding is on a holiday weekend, but not on the holiday (Friday of memorial day weekend).   Room rates are definitely more expensive because of it, but besides that I haven't noticed any difference in pricing.   Do you have a lot of out of town guests?  The thing I like about a holiday weekend wedding is usually an extra day to recover! 
  • I went to a wedding on 4th of July weekend. I personally did not mind at all. I like to switch up my plans every year, so to me going to a wedding that weekend was fun. Like others said though, keep in mind that it will be more expensive for everyone - including you guys- since it is a holiday weekend. At the end of the day, it's up to you.But if you don't have any ties to that weekend, you could change it so that it would be more convenient (and cheaper) for your guests, as well as you both.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• don't do it people would much rather be hanging out with their family and friends having a bbq or lounging by the pool...going to a wedding then would be such an imposition and many people will decline
  • I'm going for that date too! Don't worry about people saying it's for family time because that's what a wedding is for- friends and family! The important people will show up no matter what.
  • I personally don't mind a 4th of July wedding. I went to one for a good friend from college, and it was not a big deal at all! All I would say is keep in mind that some people will RSVP "no" because of the holiday. If that's not a big deal to you- by all means keep your date! I'm sure you will get lots of mixed reactions for choosing a holiday date, but honestly whatever works for you and your FI is what you choose. 
  • I'm going for that date too! Don't worry about people saying it's for family time because that's what a wedding is for- friends and family! The important people will show up no matter what.

STUCK IIN THE BOX

No, no, no.  Even after all these years this BS line drives me crazy.  People do NOT drop their world and their priorities because someone is getting married!  Nor should they.  A wedding is one day and just because it works for the couple doesn't mean it works for the guests.  And if I am one of your friends, that means I WON'T be spending any time with my family and friends if I am at  your wedding.

To imply that "the important" people are those who will attend your wedding no matter what is self centered and impractical.  Here is a great case for you:

Back in 2005 my 24 you DD got married in late February.  She was hired into a job 2 weeks prior to her wedding with the stipulation that there was NO time off for the first 90 days.  They were kind enough to give her 3 days off since she told them about the wedding upfront.

My 18 yo stepdd got married LESS than 90 days later, on a Friday, at 5 pm, in the capital city of our state.  Can you say rush hour, construction, and people not being able to take time off to travel across the state to make it in time?  My DD COULD NOT attend because she was in her 90 day probationary period.  3 of stepdd's aunt's are teachers in public schools and contractually can't take PTO during the month of May.  That 18 yo stepdd had the mindset of "The important people will show up no matter what."  It was bull back then and it is now.  She had a TON of declines.

OP - here is what you need to do:  ask your VIPs if this works for them.  Ask them to be BRUTALLY honest with you and to give you the honest answer rather than the answer you want to hear.  Don't ask them, "My wedding on the 4th of July is no problem for you to attend, right?" People will tell you to your face what you want to hear when you back them into a corner like that.  Phrase it this way:  "Would a 4th of July wedding be difficult for you to attend?  Please be really honest with me."

If you were to ask me, I would politely tell you that I definitely wouldn't be able to attend.  I have a yearly camping trip with my family and it does not get cancelled for weddings.  In our family my husband has 2 brothers who ALWAYS take that week for vacation and so does my sister.  She travels with 2 of her husband's siblings that week ever since I can remember.  In our family the 4th would be a big fat no-go.  We would not cancel vacations/ camping trips.

Ask your VIPs and see if it works for them.  I don't do anything on Memorial Day weekend so as long as I don't have to pay jacked up hotel rates and airline fees, I'd think about coming.  4th of July is a much bigger deal and people do make plans with family and friends. 

To add on, someone's attendance at your wedding is nice but it really isn't what is important.  It also does not mean they don't love you.  What matters is the love/friendship/support you have been shown and that this will continue into your marriage when one of your parent's lay dying in the hospital or your spouse or child is critically ill or when you just found out your are pregnant and it is time to share the news or when you need to hide a body at 3 in the morning.  The love, friendship and support is what is important - not their attendance at your wedding.

Know that by choosing a 4th of July wedding you may greatly decrease your attendance.  If you are gracious about that, then rock on.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards