Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Father / Daughter Dance.....with Dad and Step Dad??

My step dad raised me from 5 years old and I have a ton of respect for him and am close to him. My Dad is my Dad. How did you all go about doing a father / daughter dance with both? Do you have two separate songs? Do you just have the DJ call your step dad out a few minutes into your dance with your dad? Any thoughts or ideas are helpful. Thanks!

Re: Father / Daughter Dance.....with Dad and Step Dad??

• Options

Would your Dad be offended if halfway through the dance with you, your Step-Dad cut in? Just something to think about.

I've never been to a wedding with two Father-Daughter dances, so I have nothing to compare to. I feel like guests get pretty restless during spotlight dances that go on and on though. Is your FI doing a Mother-Son dance? If so, maybe you could collaborate and pick a song that isn't gender specific but still sentimental enough that you could also dance with your Step-Dad to the song while yor FI dances with his Mom?

I just think that 4 separate spotlight dances at an average of 4 minutes each is a lot to sit through, despite being as lovely as they always are.

• Options
    No I definitely wouldn't have done 2 four minute songs. I contemplated doing either two separate songs and have tem cut short at about 2 minutes or like you suggested have the DJ tell my step dad to cut in about 2 minutes in. FI will be doing a Mother/ Son dance but he only has one mom. :)
  • Options
    I had two dances. One with my biological father, which was about three minutes, and then a two and a half minute dance with my stepfather. It was important to me that the man who raised me got equal time and respect as did my birth father. The both walked me down the aisle, too.
  • Options
    Yeah I have been married before and they both walked me down the aisle then too but I am having my son walk me down the aisle this time. He will be almost 14 and I belong more to him than my Dads. 
  • Options
    My father is deceased so my brother-in-law is dancing the father/daughter with me. After the first verse we are inviting all of the fathers and daughters to join us on the floor. Maybe you could do something like that and switch dads at that time. Just be sure your dad knows what's going to happen. I think it would be a smoother transition if he stepped back from you and gestured to your stepdad to have his turn. I'm afraid SD cutting in would look like he was pushing dad out of the way and taking his place. If he does that, maybe they could shake hands when the change is made...don't want the attention to be on speculating about their feelings toward each other instead of on you. Good luck!
  • Options
    ^ That is not a bad idea.  It would really depend on the relationship between your dad and your stepdad.

My cousin's wife had two dances, one with her bio dad and one with her step dad.  I think she just did two different songs.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards