Moms and Maids
Options

Bridesmaid trouble - need advice

Hi Ladies,

First, apologies in advance for the length here. I just want to be as clear as possible.

I am getting married in November (very soon) and have one MOH and 3 BMs. I have not asked them to pay for anything or to plan anything. We bought them their dresses, told them to wear simple shoes, gave them gifts, and the MOH (who is wonderful) of her own accord with the financial help of my mother planned the bridal shower and bach party.

One BM has always been a very high drama, very whiny person. She leads a pretty crazy life style and is single in a big city. I asked her to be a BM because when we had been roommates several years ago we had been quite close (we were both single at the time.) I wanted another friend who is closer to be a BM, and it was one of those situations where I felt as if I couldn't ask one without the other.

Anyway, long story short we had already started drifting apart before things really exploded -- mostly because I found her increasingly selfish, quick tempered, inattentive, and at times really quite mean and as if she were bullying me. Over the past few months as the wedding has gotten closer, her behavior has worsened. I know other friends have picked up on this, too: she is really out of control (picking on me in front of other friends, constantly turning every conversation or every interaction into something about her own anger and negativity or anxiety, sending inappropriate texts to married men, the list goes on).

Just recently I had my bachlorette weekend, and she was so toxic that by the end of it I was just in tears trying to avoid her. The problem is that a) the wedding is so close and b) this person is quite manipulative and has become very intertwined in my other friend groups. (Background, we were roommates when she moved from abroad to my home town so all her friends here are literally people she met through me and has really grabbed onto them).

I just don't know what to do. Any advice is welcome -- obviously this is a long story and complicated dynamic. When I've tried to talk to her about some of this behavior before she either denies it (claims she is joking when she says mean things) or blames me and accuses me of being distant (which I have been, on purpose, because i find her negativity overwhelming.)

Thanks for reading.

Re: Bridesmaid trouble - need advice

• Options
    Just get through the wedding. Obviously you can't kick her out unless you're prepared to end the friendship, and with just a month or so to go, it's probably not worth it at this point. Afterwards you can reevaluate the friendship and go on from there.
  • Options
    Hi Ladies,

First, apologies in advance for the length here. I just want to be as clear as possible.

I am getting married in November (very soon) and have one MOH and 3 BMs. I have not asked them to pay for anything or to plan anything. We bought them their dresses, told them to wear simple shoes, gave them gifts, and the MOH (who is wonderful) of her own accord with the financial help of my mother planned the bridal shower and bach party.

One BM has always been a very high drama, very whiny person. She leads a pretty crazy life style and is single in a big city. I asked her to be a BM because when we had been roommates several years ago we had been quite close (we were both single at the time.) I wanted another friend who is closer to be a BM, and it was one of those situations where I felt as if I couldn't ask one without the other.

Anyway, long story short we had already started drifting apart before things really exploded -- mostly because I found her increasingly selfish, quick tempered, inattentive, and at times really quite mean and as if she were bullying me. Over the past few months as the wedding has gotten closer, her behavior has worsened. I know other friends have picked up on this, too: she is really out of control (picking on me in front of other friends, constantly turning every conversation or every interaction into something about her own anger and negativity or anxiety, sending inappropriate texts to married men, the list goes on).

Just recently I had my bachlorette weekend, and she was so toxic that by the end of it I was just in tears trying to avoid her. The problem is that a) the wedding is so close and b) this person is quite manipulative and has become very intertwined in my other friend groups. (Background, we were roommates when she moved from abroad to my home town so all her friends here are literally people she met through me and has really grabbed onto them).

I just don't know what to do. Any advice is welcome -- obviously this is a long story and complicated dynamic. When I've tried to talk to her about some of this behavior before she either denies it (claims she is joking when she says mean things) or blames me and accuses me of being distant (which I have been, on purpose, because i find her negativity overwhelming.)

Thanks for reading.

Do you feel like confronting her? Would it help?
  • Options
    You could choose to remove her from the wedding, which will probably end the friendship.  You also should reimburse her for a BM dress if she bought one.
    Your other option is to grin and bear it, possibly try to avoid her, until November and then after the wedding you can think about your friendship.
  • Options
    Don't remove her from the wedding.  If you want to end the friendship, do that.  Her being in the wedding will naturally fall to the side.  If you kick her out of the wedding, then you look like a bridezilla.  If your friends are also seeing her treatment of you and her behavior, they too will also slowly stop associating with her. 

Or you can just keep her in the wedding, keep your distance from her and then stop associating with her after the wedding.

And, if you do end the friendship before the wedding, don't replace her in your BP.
  • Options
    doeydo said:
    You could choose to remove her from the wedding, which will probably end the friendship.  You also should reimburse her for a BM dress if she bought one.
    Your other option is to grin and bear it, possibly try to avoid her, until November and then after the wedding you can think about your friendship.

OP stated that  "We bought them their dresses,"
  • Options
    Is it possible that she might be acting out a bit because she is still living the single life and you've moved on from that, but you were both single at the time you said you were closest and maybe she worries (even if she doesn't realize it) that you getting married is not just the end of your single life but also the end of the friendship? I'm not saying her behavior is ok or that this is what she's thinking, but if you think there's even a possibility it could be, I'd sit down with her and instead of going over her bad behavior again, emphasize how much her friendship has meant and that you two may be in different life places but can still be good friends.
  • Options
    mobkaz said:
    doeydo said:

OP stated that  "We bought them their dresses,"
    Ah, I missed that.
  • Options
    If she is causing you this much anxiety I would suggest speaking to her about it before making any decisions. Is it possible she is lashing out towards you out of jealousy or other personal issues?

Make sure she knows how her behaviour is making you feel, if she is unwilling to adjust her behaviour towards you then I think it would be a good idea to politely ask her to not be a BM and instead come as a guest. 

Reimburse her any costs she may have spent for the wedding in relation to being a bridesmaid. 

If she is treating you like this before your wedding I can only imagine what she will be like the day of.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    have you tried talking with your friend about anything non-wedding related?  Put a pin in the bride role and reach out to your friend as a friend, not a bride.  If she is acting out of characteristic (and it seems like she still is friendly with the others) there may be something going on in her personal life.  Maybe she is afraid she is losing you as a friend.  If you care about her at all, attempt to fix it.  If she does not reciprocate then it seems you will most likely part ways after the wedding.  I would not kick her out for it will make things worse, so just try to grin and bear it if things cannot be resolved before the wedding--and be sure you have people who can block you from her so she does not get you down. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded -- this was very helpful. I really don't think I've been 'too much of a bride.' I've really made an effort to stay as 'normal' and grounded as possible and not talk about the wedding too much with friends who don't bring it up or ask. I guess at this point it seems like more drama and agony would come of making some big, explicit move like asking her to leave the wedding party. I'm just going to fade out after the wedding or maybe confront her when more time has passed if her behavior doesn't change. My real anxiety is now just the wedding itself -- she'll be there for the rehearsal dinner, getting dressed / ready the morning of (the part I'm most worried about), the pictures. Any advice on that?
    Thanks again so very much for all the support.
  • Options
    I would be very frank in front of everyone come picture time but in the nicest way possible. If she's acting out or trying to take the spotlight just make sure there are people to hear you and in the nicest way you can say something like "hey, I know this is tough but it really means a lot to me that we get these pictures right on my wedding day. Do you mind roughing it out?" That way not only is it being pointed out that she is doing something wrong, but you're not the bad guy or a bridezilla AND if she had any kind of public face at all she will either pretend she doesn't know what your talking about or that she was kidding and fall in line!
  • Options
    And because everyone saw the interaction it can't be turned into something where she can use it to get pity or say you we're mean to her later.
  • Options
    Just grin and bear it for now.  There is probably more going on than it seems on the surface.  Depending on how much you want to handle, you could bring it up to her.  Not in an accusatory fashion, but in a way that shows your concerned your relationship is in a funk.  

If you don't want to open that can of worms, talk to your MOH and your mom (if your close).  Don't go trash talking your BM, but explain that she's been getting to you lately, and your worried she might affect your mood on the big day.  Ask them to run interference as much as possible, and to be conscious of your reaction to her.  Other than that, ignore her as much as possible.  It's your wedding day and, hopefully, you will have lots of distractions! Good luck! 
  • Options
    My own situation is very similar to yours.... I have one BM who is utterly toxic... nasty to other BM's, inviting people to my bachelorette (and as a result, to my wedding!) despite my wishes,....my list goes on and on.. After much discussion with my parents, my MOH and my hubbie-to-be, I've decided to just rough it out and keep her as a BM but very much keeping her at arms length. My dad pointed out that ditching her would just cause uproar and we shouldn't give her the satisfaction of playing the poor shafted victim. She can wear the pretty dress on the day but that is it. 

I'm interested to hear how your story pans out... For me, this has been going on for months and months now and I'm still so shocked by her behavior.. I've know, this girl all my life and can not believe all this drama she has caused. I've tried speaking rationally to her, tried clearing the air, tried apologizing to her but each time she's thrown it back in my face... Now I can't understand why she even still wants to be in the wedding!

I hope your big day goes well and that your BM mans up and does the honorable thing and puts you first and her negativity behind her... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards