Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

2 vs 1 photographer?

Hello, I am currently shopping for a photographer for my  budget wedding. I've been told that 2 shooters at my wedding is necessary, but I wonder if this is true? Obviously 2 shooters costs more and I am on a tight budget. Do I look for a less expensive 2 shooter or a slightly more expensive sing shooter? Thanks in advance!!

Re: 2 vs 1 photographer?

• It's definitely not necessary, but depending on the size and intricacy of your wedding, it's nice thing to have. For example, with two photographers, you can have a photo of you about to walk down the aisle and a photo of your FH waiting at the front. It's difficult for one photographer to get both shots because he or she can't be in two places at once. Also, with two photographers, you have a better chance of getting photos of each of your guests. 

If my budget was tight, I'd rather have one really good photographer than two just okay photographers.
  • Thanks for the reply. I am having a smaller wedding with about 80 guests. I was thinking that one good photographer is better. I didn't think about things like the aisle. That's a very good point!!
  • We had 125 guests and 1 photographer.  It was fine.  We also had a first look though and our photographer was able to capture some wonderful photos of seeing each other the first time, so the aisle photo with the groom's expression wasn't as high priority for me.

If you really want the aisle photo or just photos taken from different points of view at the same time, you should look into two photographers.
  • Look for a photographer that offers an add on for a second shooter. This is much chraper than hiring 2 separate photogs. I prefer a second shooter, different angles and getting ready shots.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

•  Photokitty,that's exactly what I was looking at. For example,I am considering The Pros (although they are a bit persistent) but I have a budget of $1500 or less. I know that is a small budget, so I'm stuck between a better package or two photographers. I've been considering one photographer with a better package. I'm honestly not sure what's best.
    JoanE, I am am concerned about my groom's expression, but considered asking a friend with a good camera to shoot some photos.
  • Our photographer has a 2nd shooter.  She is a young girl but has interned with a local photographer for a few years and has recently starting weddings on her own.    I love her pictures and the price is right, since she is much cheaper than a lot of the more well known photographers in our area.    To save money we are not having prints or an album, she will just provide us the disc and copyrights to all the photos.  Another benefit of the second shooter is one with be with us girls the morning before and one with the guys.  

• retroduckretroduck member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2013
    Look for two photographers to get the most out of your day. You are only doing this once in your life! Make sure they are qualified photographers and not a student training.

Two photographers will capture the unique shots such as the groom's face, two angles of your ceremony, two angles of your vows, dancing, and cake shots. Plus your second photographer will get more candids and people laughing/hugging. They also will jump onto your limo if you are traveling.
  • retroduck said:
    Look for two photographers to get the most out of your day. You are only doing this once in your life! Make sure they are qualified photographers and not a student training.

Two photographers will capture the unique shots such as the groom's face, two angles of your ceremony, two angles of your vows, dancing, and cake shots. Plus your second photographer will get more candids and people laughing/hugging. They also will jump onto your limo if you are traveling.
    This made me laugh.
  • Both of my kids had two photographers.  They took photos from very different points of view.  One photographer focused on the traditional photos and "expected" shots.  The second photographer had a photojournalist POV and took some incredible photos from different perspectives and angles.  He focused on more candid and random shots, and photos with a more artistic and editorial perspective.  
  • I always endorse a 2nd shooter.  I'm very happy that we paid for it.  Our 2nd shooter went with the guys while they got ready and took the limo with them to the church.  The main photographer came to my house where I was getting ready.  There were some really great shots that the 2nd shooter got.  They can offer a different perspective and eye on things.

What are the differences between the two packages you are considering?  Does the higher package offer all albums, but no 2nd shooter?  I wouldn't care about albums.  You should be getting all images on a CD (this is getting very common) and you can create your own albums with Shutterfly for much cheaper than a photographer would sell to you. They even have those open flat albums now.

• I didn't consider skipping the albums and getting a 2nd shooter. That is actually a nice idea!! When you get a CD are the images usually edited?

I guess most everyone agrees that a 2nd shooter is important. Thanks!!
  • Yep, the CD will have edited images. Very, very few photographers give clients unedited images.
  • Make sure you clarify with the photographer (and have it written into the contract) that you get fully edited images.  

Some photographers do a basic crop and call that edited.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Actually most photogs do a basic color correct and call it edited. A good photog shoots full frame and didn't need to crop unless it is for a specific size print or album. Most photos will only give you "selected images" so they don't have to do crazy editing. Beyond the basic color correct a good photog will edit your important group shots for closed eyes and whatnot to make sure you have at least one usable image of each group shot.

If you are worried about editing make sure your photog explains what editing entails and how they do it. :)

• Thanks for all the advice! :) I'll be sure to get details.
  • I didn't consider skipping the albums and getting a 2nd shooter. That is actually a nice idea!! When you get a CD are the images usually edited?

I guess most everyone agrees that a 2nd shooter is important. Thanks!!
    Check with the photographer, and make sure they are giving you copyrights in the contract.  In comparing to packages from photographers that offered albums, prints, etc I am paying $1000+ less with the photographer we choose, and have a 2nd shooter.  I'll make my own album on shuterfly for so much less than that. 
  • Wow! That's a big difference! I will remember that. Thanks!!
  • We struggled with this decision too. We basically made our decision based on two things

1) Will we be getting ready in the same area?
    2) The size of our ceremony it self

When we asked our photographer about 2 photographers or 1, he was very honest and candid. He said because we were both getting ready in the same hotel (Drury Plaza downtown), he said it's easy for him to go back and forth between both rooms. Also in our consultation we put together a schedule of when I would be getting my hair and make-up done and when my fiancé (now hubby :)) would be getting ready. By organizing a schedule, it made it easier for him to go back and forth and capture both of us getting ready.The size of our ceremony was roughly about 120 people and we were married outside in front of the McNay. When we told him the size of the wedding and the arrangement, he told us he can easily move around and shoot from multiple angles. He did get multiple angles. So basically just consider those two things and you can make your own decisions.

Oh and have you all every heard of some people having "3" Photographers??? Woah!

Any whooooo, Hope that help :)
  • Thanks! Actually that is helpful and congrats on your marriage!! We are getting ready separately, but only 10 minutes apart. Originally I did not think that I wanted photos of us dressing, but everyone tells me that these are important and that I will want them. Our ceremony is roughly 80 people with a small bridal party. I've been looking for two shooters, but I am not willing to drop in quality much. I will consider these new ideas and think about if I need a 2nd.

I am doing a first look,which I originally did not want. I wonder if this makes one photographer more acceptable too? I am in total shock at the prices. I thought I choose a reasonable budget.
  • It sounds like you can get away with just one photographer. A second shooter is a luxury, especially if you're on a budget.

Also, just to play devil's advocate, we didn't have any photos taken of us getting ready and we don't regret it one bit. I wanted to just be able to relax and not think about anything else, and it was nice to  not worry about scheduling it. 
  • My photographer just lay it out flat: If you have less than 150 people then you only need one photographer. If you have over 200 people than you would be happier with two. If you are somewhere in the middle it's a bit iffy, but depending on your budget you should be fine with one.

You really don't need getting ready shots of the guys because they are usually just hanging around and drinking as opposed to the girls who have a much more involved process.

I walked in wanting a second photographer and he convinced me to save my money; that, or wait until later since he sometimes offers deals if there are photographers available in his company who might be able to do the wedding last minute.
  • I honestly don't get why the number of guests has any baring on the number of shooters. Unless you want a bunch of random actions shots of guests at the reception I think it has more to do with the angles you want and the getting ready photos. What photos do you want? Will they require a second shooter? Are you willing to pay extra to make sure you have the safety net of a second shooter? If your photog snaps a photo of the first kiss and it is blurry or the flash fires and blows out the picture will you be devastated? If so get the second shooter so they can take the photo too and you have at least one.

• I see what you are saying Photokitty. I've decided to aim for 2 if I can afford to do so. I am considering one that gives all images on a dvd, but they are unedited. Is this acceptable?
  • It depends on several factors. The most important is how good are they? Edited images now-a-days are just auto color and brightness corrected in Lightroom. I would expect edited images to have all the important group portraits photoshopped so everyone's eyes are open. Can you edit the photos yourself? 

Personally I would not hire a photog who did not give me all the images and a release. But I can edit them myself, so editing isn't as important to me.

How much more is it to have them edited or can you get selected images edited? Like 50 of them? I personally don't think you'd even need 50 edited as I would never print 50 of them and that's when editing really matters.

GL! :) Feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

• Thanks! Actually that is helpful and congrats on your marriage!! We are getting ready separately, but only 10 minutes apart. Originally I did not think that I wanted photos of us dressing, but everyone tells me that these are important and that I will want them. Our ceremony is roughly 80 people with a small bridal party. I've been looking for two shooters, but I am not willing to drop in quality much. I will consider these new ideas and think about if I need a 2nd.

I am doing a first look,which I originally did not want. I wonder if this makes one photographer more acceptable too? I am in total shock at the prices. I thought I choose a reasonable budget.
    Ehhh, we had some getting ready photos taken.  None made the cut for the album or frame.  They just weren't that important to us in the end.
  • Yeah JoanE, I almost feel like those photos and having someone there would be more stressful to me. I've decided that if I hire a photographer for 8 hrs then I will take them, but if I don't have them I'm perfectly okay with that.

Photokitty, thanks! I do not know how to edit, but I suppose I could figure it out. I don't think any images are edited and it doesn't look like they offer it.
  • While having 2 photographers is not essential, it is nice! We weren't planning on having 2, but we did! The business is just under the wife's name, and her husband does some photography on the side - he comes with her to weddings and acts as a 2nd photographer - 2 for the price of 1! It turns out he got some really great pictures too, and got other pictures at different angles than our primary photographer. I would get 2 if it's in your budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards