Destination Weddings Discussions

Live Chat with an AMResorts Expert!

Hi Everyone!

This Thursday, November 14th, from 1PM-2PM we will have a live chat with an AMResorts Expert to answer all of your destination and planning questions!

Feel free to comment below with any questions ahead of time. We’ll see you all on Thursday!

Re: Live Chat with an AMResorts Expert!

• Hello. I'm going to look at venues for my destination wedding in two weeks. What are important questions I should be asking? Should I be asking to do a food tasting as well or should that not factor into what venue I choose?
  • Our chat will start in 15 minutes! Looking forward to seeing your questions :)
  • Hello,
    I am getting married next September in New York and would like to head off from there onto my honeymoon but it's hurricane season!  Any suggestion of locations for a week in pure relaxation bliss - not too far from New York.  I based in Edinburgh, Scotland.
    Thanks,
    Sheryl x
  • Thank you @lwaryjas and @sjribben for your questions! Amanda will be on shortly :)
  • @lwaryjas - Definitely ask to do a food tasting if you can. It never hurts to experience in advance what your guests will be enjoying. for those of you unable to travel to sample the food, ask the resort for menu options and inquire as to what are their most popular choices
  • @sherron628 is recently engaged and planning for a wedding in St. Thomas. Any suggestion for where to get started?
  • My fiancé and I aren't sure where we want to honeymoon. We are both laid back, enjoy wine, and definitely want an adults only resort. We also want to try going somewhere new. We have been to Jamaica, Mexico, and Dominican. Any suggestions? We are also trying to do a destination wedding in Jamaica and we are having a hard time finding a resort because my brother is only going to be 17. Do you have any recommendations for an AMResort?
  • @sgribben- hurricane season is tough, because all of the East Coast and Caribbean can be affected. I would suggest taking a chance and heading down to Riviera Maya, Mexio. Secrets Resorts & Spas are adults-only properties that are ideal for honeymoons. With gourmet dining, top-shelf spirits, and entertainment, you'll enjoy the experience even if it gets a little rainy (and there are short direct flights from NYC). If you really want to avoid rain, travel a little further to Los Cabos! Yes, this will be quite a hike for you, but the destination is stunning and it only rains about 5 days out of the year. Sunshine awaits!
  • @MOHDIANA is getting married in October 2014 and wants to know, when should she send out her destination wedding invitations? Her resort needs to have all of the rooms booked in her block by July 11th, 2014. 
  • @knoruk- Jamaica is a great destination for a wedding! Unfortunately, our only resorts in Jamaica are Secrets St. James and Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay. They are adults-only properties (must be 18). We have family friendly resorts in Dominican Republic, Mexico, and Curaco.

As for your honeymoon, I personally love Mexico for romance travel. I know you mentioned you have been there, but every location is so unique. If you are looking for something off the beaten path, I would suggest Secrets Huatulco Resort & Spa, located in southern Mexico - it is truly stunning 

• I'M Getting Married In Cancun Next June. In Terms Of Setting Up Excersions, Should I Wait To Get There? Or Plan Ahead Of Time?
  • edited November 2013

@MOHDIANA - I would suggest about 4 months out - and have the rsvp deadline be a couple weeks before your deadline with the resort. Be sure to send Save Your Dates as soon as possible so your guests can beginning planning.

• Do you happen to know what the weather is like in curaçao in December? Also what is the weather like in Huatulco in January or February?
  • @meganwitt - If it is a group excursion, I would try to set it up in advance. Depending on the size of the group, the excursion location may need to reserve space to accommodate, so if you can, give them some notice. If it is just an excursion for a couple of you - you can wait until you arrive to the resort to arrange.
  • @Lauramr1982 is planning to have her wedding on a cruise. What resources can she use to find a cruise line that can accommodate her wedding?
  • @Knoruk - average temperatures in Curacao in December are: high 85 and low 77. Huatulco in January/February ranges from high of 84 to low of 64 - gorgeous weather!
  • @mmm4763 is nervous about booking her hair and makeup from afar. Any tips to ease her concerns about finding the right hair and makeup artists?
  • Hello. I will be getting married in France in 2015. I plan on sending out save the dates now, so that my friends and family can plan ahead. What is the best timeline, as far as sending out formal invitations? Should all weddings really have professional photographers? (I think so but tell my fiancé that hehe) Is there a website to search for local professional photographers in certain regions? Thanks!!
  • I am planning a destination wedding, but I have never been to one. What kind of decorations are available at the resorts or do I have to bring everything? for the walk down the aisle and the dinner decor? 
  • @Lauramr1982 - I would suggest contacting a travel agent in your area for cruise planning. Of course, I would also suggest choosing to marry at a resort instead of on a cruise :) Destination resorts have the same benefit as a cruise (and if you choose an AMResorts property- you will find an even greater level of service and inclusions) and they are also eaiser for your guests as there is more flexibility for those who can't stay as long as others.
  • I am getting married in Cancun, November 15, 2014. We have now decided that we are going to get married (me and my Fiance with our MOH and BM) at our church before we go and do a symbolic ceremony on the beach. I won't be wearing my wedding dress at the church and no one will be present. Do I need to explain to people what we are doing? 
  • @StarlightDL - You will be pleasantly surprised at the variety and quality of decor available for destination weddings. At AMResorts properties for example, our on-site wedding coordinators encourage brides to send down photos of cakes, decor, inspirations that they have seen in magazines or wedding blogs and the coordinators will work to have these looks recreated. This way you get the exact wedding of your dreams. Some resorts offer complete decor packages, but we have found that brides prefer the non cookie-cutter wedding approach.

• @helmigkn - first of all, great idea. I always recommend couples have their legal ceremony in advance and the symbolic ceremony in destination. This saves time, money and stress of worrying if all is set. I was married at Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun almost two years ago and did this exact same thing. My husband and I had a legal ceremony in our home town (just the two of us - no witnesses required in my state) two days before we headed to Mexico. We didnt tell anyone. I think it is nicer for your guests if you keep that part a secret - especially since your wedding in Mexico will feel like your real wedding.
  • Hi! My fiance and I are getting married in july and are looking for a relaxing/romantic/bargain honeymoon. Any suggestions?! Thanks!
  • @mmm4763 - will you be getting married at a resort? If so, your wedding coordinator should be able to provide you recommendations. I would also suggest that you schedule a trial hair and make-up run before your big day. Having the trial run before your rehearsal dinner or welcome party allows you to not only test the stylists abilities, but also allows you to look polished for your extra events (just ask that the stylist make minor tweaks to your look after you approve so your guests don't see your wedding day look early)
  • @AmandaAMResorts is staying on until 2:15PM ES. Keep your questions coming! :)
  • @parentemy - what state or country do you reside? That will help me suggest best destinations for you with the criteria you provided
  • Thanks for this.  I was thinking Cabo because it's close to California.  Assuming being on that side of Mexico we won't have a chance of rain?
    Even if we did go to Riveria Maya - what are our chances of rain?

Thanks.

Sheryl
  • We've recently learnt that resorts will shut your wedding down at 11pm due to resort privacy.. but you can continue in the ballroom for additional charges. Are there any private villa options in the Riviera for us to rent out so we can party till 2-3am??
  • What little extras can you do to thank your guests for traveling?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards