Wedding Reception Forum

China vs plastic?

Yeah, I'm stuck on this one. I still can't figure out whether to rent dishes, get them through a caterer, or DIY.
So I just got a sample quote back from our front-runner caterer. She quoted us $435 for plastic service, or $1,275 for china (linens extra). We have a fairly large guest list, but this still seems like a lot. 
If you are trying to do a nice dinner, is china worth the extra $800? 

Re: China vs plastic?

• If I am going to a wedding and it isn't a backyard BBQ type of affair, I really think china makes the whole thing feel more elegant and luxurious then plastic does.

And also don't mix china and plastic, pick one or the other.  I once went to a wedding that had china for the tableware but then served drinks from the bar in plastic cups.

• If I am doing a nice dinner, yes it's worth $800 for me. But I feel your wallet's pain :-\ GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Yup, go with the china!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I like china but respect the budget.  If you have to go with plastic (and I hope it is the hard plastic) then at least use real utensils and not plastic forks.
  • kitty8403 said:
    Yeah, I'm stuck on this one. I still can't figure out whether to rent dishes, get them through a caterer, or DIY.
    So I just got a sample quote back from our front-runner caterer. She quoted us $435 for plastic service, or $1,275 for china (linens extra). We have a fairly large guest list, but this still seems like a lot. 
    If you are trying to do a nice dinner, is china worth the extra $800? 
    Yes, if you want a nice dinner, I think china is worth the extra money. 
  • @kitty8403 - what type of meal are you having?  If you are having a sit down dinner have you considered buying your own china?  You could check out Ikea.  They have some nice plain china and glassware that is not expensive.  I would price things out before you make a firm decision.

• @KnotPorscha - I am smelling a vendor vibe from @Ashley0606.  I have noticed in two threads on this particular board she has been suggesting the same website for brides to use.  It just seems a bit off.

• I think it would depend on the plastic ware. I've been to events where the plastic dishes and silverware look like real dishes you really have to look a couple of times. Check to see what the stuff looks like that the caterer would provide and if it's not nice, price out the nicer quality stuff, if it would save you money still over real dishes, ask caterer if you can provide and she can just tell you number of plates, etc to get.

• To help us keep to our budget, our caterer suggested the plastic "china". When she brought it out, we had no idea it was plastic until we physically touched it. It's seems very durable, and the plastic silverware seems like it would work well,too! I actually tested the plastic knife and metal knife, and the plastic cut better! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards