Just Engaged and Proposals

Growing impatient!

So my fiance and I just got engaged in July, we wanted to get married in 2016. But now I pushed back the wedding because he wants to move in together before we get married. I'm currently a college student so that's kinda our reason for having a long engagement. But the more I see things about weddings and ideas the more I just want to plan and we could figure out the living arrangements later on. Any suggestions?

Re: Growing impatient!

• P.S. we are getting married April of 2017.
  • My fiance and I have been together for 5 1/2 years and got engaged in September. We both still live with our parents (I'm 24, he's 26) because finances just haven't been right. I'm a teacher, he's a small business owner, so the timing hasn't hit yet. We always said we wouldn't get engaged until we were living together but that went out the window! We are getting married March 2015... we are lucky enough that my parents are paying for the wedding, so we are fortunate enough to be able to figure out our living arrangements AND plan a wedding at the same time. You just have to set some goals and discuss what you want - do you want to rent? buy? house? apartment? what can you afford monthly? ... and also figure out how wedding planning can work alongside that - deposits, purchases, etc.

There's no "right" or "wrong" for this - it's all up to how you and your fiance can manage it AND feel comfortable doing so.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd wait til you are done with college.  whats the rush? if you two are going to be together and move in together.  The whole idea of planning and having a wedding sounds fun...but its a lot of work..and expensive.    You need to think beyond the actual wedding day, to a marriage.  

• Wedding planning is a lot of work, a lot of decisions.  Don't take on that huge workload when you're in college, because something is going to end up half-assed if you're trying to do both at the same time, either your grades are going to slip or your wedding planning will be rushed and stressful.  AT LEAST wait until you're done with college so you can plan without the added stress of college on top of it.  If you're that excited to plan you're gonna want to wait until you can enjoy it the most anyways.  As for living together before you get married, you really should do that.  You're going to be at the altar saying you want to spend the rest of your life with him, you really should know what it's going to be like to live with him before you say that.  If there are going to be any issues you two will have to work out regarding living together, it would be best to have them worked out before you say "I do."  
    If you really want to plan now, keep lists of all the vendors and venues you like, and a notebook of your ideas so that you don't have to worry about forgetting them and they'll all be there when you're ready to really start planning.  If you don't have a Pinterest yet, it's a wonderful place to get your wedding planning fix XD 
  • If you want to get married sooner than 2017 and he wants to move in together before that happens, why not just move in together sooner, then?  Or are you both living with your respective parents and it's a financial issue?

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • It is a fiancial issue,I don't have a job right now and he doesn't have a car. We are hoping to move in together by next fall and if not we are just going to wait until i graduate to move in together. Also we need to save up the money for the wedding too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards