Maine

help! i'm at a loss and so frustrated!

I'm getting married September 13, 2014. We do not have much money and are looking at our options as far as venues in DoverFoxcroft/Bangor area. I'm trying to DIY the majority of it doing my own decorations, food, etc.

I'm trying desperately to get my father to pay for my venue and I just don't think I can get him to shell out 5,000. We're looking for a place that we can have the ceremony on site outdoor and an indoor reception. I think the most he would do would be in the neighborhood of 2,000.

I already looked at the Meadowbrook Reception Hall and I wasn't thrilled. I'm currently talking to the guy at the Brewster Inn but that's out of price range too.

Please help! I'm on the verge if tears trying to book a venue. I know my wedding date is a ways away, but I'm just looking to book a place now and get that taken care of so I can have some peace of mind until i need to start worrying about my dress, the food, decorating, etc.

Re: help! i'm at a loss and so frustrated!

• First off, DEEP BREATH

My Wedding is in May of 2014 and I dealt with a very similar thing, where everytime I called or contacted a venue, they were already booked or out of our price range, 2014 is a ways away but not so in the wedding business. By the time Christmas rolled around this past year I was about to have a nervous breakdown. Then after touring a location, I found out that a couple was coming in a couple days after us for the exact same weekend and would need t book or lose the place entirely.

While I cannot offer you any particular venue, just know that other 2014 brides have been in your same predicament and found the place. When you think your going to go insane over it all, take a step back for a day (or two), and try not to think about the stess. It really does help.

Have you looked at any of the state  or national parks in Maine but also New Hampshire (White Mountains)? Most have beautiful settings for the wedding itself and picnic coverings where you can bring your own food (usually no alcohol allowed). Also becasue it's a state park they usually can rent out to you for rather cheap.

Good Luck and Congradualtions. Remember the day at the end will be worth all the stress of getting there (at least that's what I keep telling myself!)

• It is no one's responsibility to pay for your wedding. Do not ask your father for anything. If he wants to contribute, he will, but otherwise, don't ask. You're making the adult decision to get married, be an adult and pay for it yourself then. 
  • Take a look at Maine Maritime museum it's pretty and might fit into your budget.

• I live in the bangor area and have you tried to call the elks club, check local town halls and grange hall they are really cheap usually and you can have your own catering wheather you want to do it yourself or hire someone. Im having mine at a grange hall and i can decorated it the way i want and rent the round tables and etc. also try the local snowmobile clubs too 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_help-im-at-a-loss-and-so-frustrated?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:f3a445dc-3c50-428e-9c35-907e476c4bfePost:3be76a5f-fb50-44cd-89ec-43c669eab1a3">Re: help! i'm at a loss and so frustrated!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I live in the bangor area and have you tried to call the elks club, check local town halls and grange hall they are really cheap usually and you can have your own catering wheather you want to do it yourself or hire someone. Im having mine at a grange hall and i can decorated it the way i want and rent the round tables and etc. also try the local snowmobile clubs too 
    Posted by Bossygirl1986[/QUOTE]
    also my budget is only 4,000 and that is for everything.. so i know that it can be done and im getting Married May 11 of this year so good luck planning, it takes a lot of research to search for the photographer and dj and all the others things. Good luck
  • Here's another suggestion:

http://jwendicot0.wix.com/endicottfarm

They are in Belgrade and will work with your budget. 

They only do one or two events per year though.
  • Check out Peak Hill Lodge, there give rates on the website. A bit rustic but you cant beat the price:, they also have many menu options to pick from but here is the sample on the website.

Ceremony in Gazebo outside - $400.

Reception in the Lodge - $550.

Dinner: Baked Stuffed Chicken, Meat Lasagna, Red Roasted Potatoes, Vegetable, House Salad, Fruit Salad, Rolls/Butter, Coffee, Tea, & Ice water - $18.95 pp = $1895.

Linen rental fee - $163.

Gratuity - $284.25

Maine Sales Tax - $132.65

Total for Wedding = $3424.90

• Another option is to find a summer camp that rents their facility in the off-season. They usually let you arrange your own catering and bar. 
  • My fiance and I are getting married July 12th of 2014 and we are basically doing the whole wedding ourselves.  I was in the same situation.  We are getting married at The Great Outdoors in Turner.  You can do everything yourself.  Rental of the rustic lodge is I believe $1000.  You can be married either on the beach or there is a really pretty area right in front of the lodge.  You can give the owner Mary a call.  She is extremely nice and extremely helpful!  Feel free to contact me with any questions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards