Military Brides

Uniform help?

Hello ladies,

First off, I'd like to thank you, your families, and your FI's for your service and sacrifice. While I am not in the military myself, I am the daughter of a combat disabled Marine Corps Vietnam Veteran, and my FI is also a Marine Corps Veteran. I thought this might be the best place to get some recommendations.

My FI was honorably discharged well before we met. He has kept most of his dress uniform and flight suit. Last night, during discussion of what he wants to wear to our wedding in March, he pulled out his dress blue blouse and trousers. He is now very excited at the prospect of wearing his dress blues, and there comes our trouble.

While a little tight (he was last fitted at age 20, now 32!), his blue blouse fits, though he wants to lose a little weight to make it fit better. His trousers are another matter- 33XL is now way too tight in the waist (I wish I could pull on the pants I wore at 18!). It appears despite his careful efforts, his belt has also been damaged, as has his gloves. While he still has the frame for his cover, the remainder of the cover was damaged.

We will need to get replacement trousers, belt, gloves, cover, shoes, and white blouse. We know that going on base to purchase these items means a good chunk of money. Could anyone recommend other locations where you have been able to purchase replacement pieces without breaking the bank?

Thank you for your help!

(PS- I regularly try to send care packages at the holidays to those serving overseas with baked goodies, holiday candies, nonessentials, etc. A buddy of mine went nuts when I sent him his favorite cookies and a bunch of crystal lite drink mix packets. If you know of someone who could use one, please PM me, I'd be happy to send them something just as a little way of saying thank you!)

Re: Uniform help?

• Even if you were to order those items online, you are going to spend a ton of money.  You are looking at spending at least twice what you would spend to rent a tux or buy a nice suit.  I know the prospect of wearing the uniform is tempting for him.  I miss putting  mine one.  I know seeing him in his dress uniform would be exciting for you.  However, it may not be financially worth it.  I'd weigh the options.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FI bought dress blues a couple years ago from Marlow White (I don't know if they do Marines), though at the Leavenworth store. Honestly, the cost was horrendous. You're talking a few hundred dollars here, at least. 

My FI is the opposite of yours. We will be spending the money to rent a tux because he doesn't want to wear his (stupidly expensive) dress blues. He says our marriage isn't about the military. *Shrugs* 
  • Does he keep in touch with any friends from the Corps?  Perhaps he could borrow at least some of the elements of the uniform from other guys? 
  • Hello ladies,

First off, I'd like to thank you, your families, and your FI's for your service and sacrifice. While I am not in the military myself, I am the daughter of a combat disabled Marine Corps Vietnam Veteran, and my FI is also a Marine Corps Veteran. I thought this might be the best place to get some recommendations.

My FI was honorably discharged well before we met. He has kept most of his dress uniform and flight suit. Last night, during discussion of what he wants to wear to our wedding in March, he pulled out his dress blue blouse and trousers. He is now very excited at the prospect of wearing his dress blues, and there comes our trouble.

While a little tight (he was last fitted at age 20, now 32!), his blue blouse fits, though he wants to lose a little weight to make it fit better. His trousers are another matter- 33XL is now way too tight in the waist (I wish I could pull on the pants I wore at 18!). It appears despite his careful efforts, his belt has also been damaged, as has his gloves. While he still has the frame for his cover, the remainder of the cover was damaged.

We will need to get replacement trousers, belt, gloves, cover, shoes, and white blouse. We know that going on base to purchase these items means a good chunk of money. Could anyone recommend other locations where you have been able to purchase replacement pieces without breaking the bank?

Thank you for your help!

(PS- I regularly try to send care packages at the holidays to those serving overseas with baked goodies, holiday candies, nonessentials, etc. A buddy of mine went nuts when I sent him his favorite cookies and a bunch of crystal lite drink mix packets. If you know of someone who could use one, please PM me, I'd be happy to send them something just as a little way of saying thank you!)

Have you thought about eBay? I often see things pop up there that look to be in perfect condition. The prices appear to be low, but I don't really know what uniform items are supposed to cost in the US. In the UK, they are very expensive -- between £1,500 and £2,500 for a mess dress uniform.
  • BritLady said:

Hello ladies,

Thank you for your help!

Have you thought about eBay? I often see things pop up there that look to be in perfect condition. The prices appear to be low, but I don't really know what uniform items are supposed to cost in the US. In the UK, they are very expensive -- between £1,500 and £2,500 for a mess dress uniform.

Actually, Chipmunk got married a week or so ago!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards