Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Outdoors in May?

We're planning a mid-May wedding. To keep costs low, we're thinking of renting a shelter in a local park and having a cook-out/picnic reception. Do you think it would be too cold here in the Twin Cities to have a picnic May 17th? Is May's weather too iffy? Thanks for your opinions.

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Robert Fulghum<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Re: Outdoors in May?

• I don't think you'll really know for a few months. Sometimes it snows in May and sometimes it's 60 out. But you could plan a picnic and find an indoor backup plan (your parent's house, etc.) if it were too cold. Good luck!
  • Personally, I wouldn't risk it unless you have a solid backup plan. Think of all of the high school prom pics that you see where the girls have coats on or it's pouring. Most of those happen in May.
  • We got married on May 18, 2012 and planned for 60 and rain and instead it was 100 and sunny - you just never know in May so I would have both an indoor and outdoor option!
  • I'm getting married may 24th with an outdoor ceremony, should be ok! hoping for the best. 
  • flower_loverflower_lover member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2013
    I personally would find May weather too risky for an outdoor pavilion. If it rained "sideways", all guests would have to move to the center of the pavilion, and that sounds uncomfortable for any period of time. If it's cold, guests would also be uncomfortable. I'd want people to have fun, and to have a carefree day where I didn't have to worry about the weather.

Last year, I remember biking on Memorial Day weekend in late May, and it was windy, in the 40s-50s, and there were dark clouds. And that was the best weather all weekend. Granted, it was the worst May in history as far as weather goes, but there's no guarantee that it wouldn't be like that again.

A nice alternative might be to consider someplace like Silverwood Park, where they have a lovely indoor space that's reasonably priced, and have some of the activities outside if the weather is good. Or else move your date to June  - September.

• Yeah, we decided AGAINST the outdoor picnic reception. Too iffy, and with our budget we can't afford to book multiple options just in case!

"We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love." -Robert Fulghum<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• I'm getting married may 24th with an outdoor ceremony, should be ok! hoping for the best. 
  • Depending on where you live, I know there's a couple places in Dakota County that have outdoor feels to them...One is the Eagan Community Center.  There's a gazebo, a bandshell or a patio to get married at plus the big reception area could also be a ceremony area and has floor to ceiling windows (gorgeous!!).  There's also Thompson Park in West St. Paul that has an option to get married outside and an area that you could probably have your reception in, depending on how many people your guest list has. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards