Moms and Maids

Best or worst bridal showers!

Hey everyone! I'm hosting a bridal shower for my bestie in a couple months and have been looking on the site/internet for games/themes. I've only been to one and I was 17 at the time and I wasn't really sure what was going on. Thought it would be a great idea to share a favorite thing you've seen/had at a bridal shower and some worst ideas/things that happened!

Also, I haven't found out this information yet, but how long do these showers typically last?

Re: Best or worst bridal showers!

• My favorite showers have mimosas and minimal games. My least favorite have too many people invited, so opening gifts take hours and too many games that embarrass the bride and guests. 

I'd try to have it start to finish in 3 hours. I would say less than 30 people. 
  • agree completely with no embarrassing games, she's conservative and would hate that! Thanks for the time frame, I want to make it worth their while for traveling but don't want to just open gifts and thats it!
  • That's very nice of you to host a shower for your friend.

Showers in my area,consist of a meal, usually a buffet lunch, signature cocktail or wine, cake and coffee. We watch the bride open her gifts, eat and socialize. Usually, there aren't any games or prizes. We're too busy talking for that. 

I only remember one shower game, a purse scavenger hunt. There was a list of items that the women were supposed to look for in their own purses - keys, baby picture, tampon, paper clip, pills, grocery list, flask, etc...Whoever found the most items in her purse won some kind of prize. 

One of the rudest things I've seen at showers was asking the guests to address the envelopes for their own thank you notes. I don't think it was the bride's idea, but it made it look like she couldn't be bothered to write a proper note. One of my least favorite ideas is one that I saw on TK, on a thread below - the display shower. 

• One typical bridal shower thing in my area isn't a game but more of a superstition. As the bride is unwrapping presents, the number of ribbons she breaks = the number of kids she'll have. All unbroken ribbons (along with tissue paper and whatever else is wanted) get made into a crazy bouquet for her my one of her bridesmaids. She then gets presented the bouquet at the end for pictures - a lot of brides also bring it with them to the rehearsal dinner. It's kind of fun and cute, without being a game.
  • My favorite showers have wine, good food, and no games.  I also prefer going to a shower that doesn't have a ton of people invited to it.  50+ guests equal and shit long time of the bride opening gifts.

• My favorite showers have mimosas and minimal games. My least favorite have too many people invited, so opening gifts take hours and too many games that embarrass the bride and guests. 

I'd try to have it start to finish in 3 hours. I would say less than 30 people. 

This. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thanks for all your stories and tips! @MariePoppy I cant believe that they had to address their own thank you card! That blows my mind, it takes a few seconds of the bride's time, and since those ladies spent their time finding a gift and coming its the least she could do!
  • @amisslobita  In the bride's defense, it wasn't her idea to have the guests address envelopes. 

• allispain said:
    One typical bridal shower thing in my area isn't a game but more of a superstition. As the bride is unwrapping presents, the number of ribbons she breaks = the number of kids she'll have. All unbroken ribbons (along with tissue paper and whatever else is wanted) get made into a crazy bouquet for her my one of her bridesmaids. She then gets presented the bouquet at the end for pictures - a lot of brides also bring it with them to the rehearsal dinner. It's kind of fun and cute, without being a game.
    I had never heard this one, but last weekend at my bridal shower FMIL kept saying "just break the ribbons! just break the ribbons!"  Luckily one of FI's aunts took pity on me and told me about the superstition after ribbon number two. 
  • mmm4763mmm4763 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    dem068 said:
    one "game" that I liked is that there is a timer set when the bride is opening gifts, and if it goes off while she is opening your gift you wine a prize (the prize was a bottle of wine or a nice smelling candle).  made the gift opening a lot more interesting (and it's always fun to win something without having to do anything). 
    I like this!
  • dem068 said:
    one "game" that I liked is that there is a timer set when the bride is opening gifts, and if it goes off while she is opening your gift you wine a prize (the prize was a bottle of wine or a nice smelling candle).  made the gift opening a lot more interesting (and it's always fun to win something without having to do anything). 

Love this one!
  • Holy crap, the number of ribbons you break is how many kids you have?  If I actually believed in superstitions, I would turn into a bit of a control freak and outlaw any ribbons at my bridal shower.  That is the first time I've heard this, and it sounds crazy! 

I've actually been to a baby shower that did the "addressing the thank-you card envelopes".  It was my mother's idea, and it was for a game - we drew two of the cards out of the basket and those people won a prize.  I see that PP don't like this, but for a first time mom, I would hope people would understand trying to save her some time.  

I've never been to a shower with a full meal, but usually they have enough snacks and punch that you get full off of it.  The 3 hr mark sounds about right.  And all the showers I go to have one or two games, but usually it is more about the socializing. 

• csuavecsuave member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    I agree with PPs about smaller size and mimosas.  Also if there are prizes for a game, I like quality over quantity.  Three good prizes (like a bottle of wine, starbucks giftcard, etc) are better than lots of dollar store prizes.  Edible favors are best if you are going to have a favor; something like chocolate or a fancy cookie.
  • At my shower they went around the room and just introduced each other with how they knew me, and then shared some marriage/relationship advise which I thought was nice-- it could depend on your crowd since some people might not like to do that, but everyone liked it a lot in my crowd.  Other than that people just mingled; my bridesmaids made my ribbon bouquet and people just got to know each other.  We had a nice lunch, I opened gifts without the feeling that people were "starring at me", and it was nice.

Anniversary
  • The only "game" that my sister/MOH is planning for my shower is "bridal bingo" while I open presents. People will get a blank bingo card to fill in with items they think that I will receive as gifts and when that gift is open they mark it off. 5 in a row gets a prize. No one is going to be forced into playing, but it's an option to do once guests are done eating.
    This was done at my bridal shower as the only game and it was a hit.  I had a shower with 50ish attendees and the bingo game gave the guests something to do as I was opening gifts, it encouraged them to talk to the women sitting with them, and no one was staring at me.  One of my friends told my aunt (the co-host) that it was the least painful shower that she'd ever attended.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hate shower games with a passion, but I hate games in general. I had two showers, one had no games and I can assure you I barely had time to eat. I was too busy talking to everyone and catching up with relatives I hadn't seen in forever. I was so glad I didn't have to stop chatting with family to play some stupid game.

For her shower, my SIL had a basket full of flat rocks, and told people to write love/marriage advice on them and they would put them in their garden. Cute idea... until SIL stood by the door and wouldn't let people leave till they filled out a rock. I wrote something very sarcastic. Games or activities can be cute, as long as they are not excessive and demanding of guests.

• gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment

Games are not necessary, but if you really want one, my favorite is the scratch offs. You can find people on Ebay or Etsy to make them for you, or make them yourself.  Leave one at each place setting and at some point tell everyone to scratch their ticket.  Have 1 or 2 winners.

It's great b/c it's not boring, it doesn't slow down the event, there's minimal guest participation but there's still a prize involved.  It's been a hit at every shower I've thrown.

• I personally love when the bridesmaids do little poems.  I've done a wine poem, a lingerie poem and the thing that's gone over best, was a poem that went along with a basket filled with household products the bride-to-be will need when living with her new husband. (cleaning products, paper towels, soap, detergent, t.p.) 

As for addressing the thank-you's...
    The MOH or MOB usually labels the envelopes for the guests they have invited.  The bride then receives these pre-addressed cards as a gift.  Its a nice gift to give and saves the bride a lot of time! 

• The bride should be happy to take the time to personally thank her shower guests with a handwritten, hand addressed thank you note. A woman who is old enough to get married shouldn't need her mother to address envelopes. If I had done that, my daughter would have been mortified.

• I personally love when the bridesmaids do little poems.  I've done a wine poem, a lingerie poem and the thing that's gone over best, was a poem that went along with a basket filled with household products the bride-to-be will need when living with her new husband. (cleaning products, paper towels, soap, detergent, t.p.) 

As for addressing the thank-you's...
    The MOH or MOB usually labels the envelopes for the guests they have invited.  The bride then receives these pre-addressed cards as a gift.  Its a nice gift to give and saves the bride a lot of time! 

In the end it probably saves the bride all of about ten minutes. Address your own envelopes.
  • FMIL threw a very nice shower for me.  It started at noon, and there were little sandwiches, fruit kabobs, veggies and dip, etc.  Wine, punch, coffee & tea.  One of the guests is a great cook/baker and made some beautiful cupcakes! 

We played 2 games... when we arrived, everyone got 5 clothespins to put on their clothing.  We weren't allowed to say FI's name or 'wedding'.  It was pretty fun.  Some people were very competitive and other's weren't too concerned with it.  I messed up a lot and lost my pins fairly quickly, but that just meant that I didn't have to worry about it anymore!  We also played the purse game as described above.  FMIL had nice napkins and bubble bath as prizes.  Everyone got a nice spatula as a favor.  

We had only about 12 people there, so gift opening was fun.  We even had my mom on Facetime as she lives 3 provinces over!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also wouldn't want to attend a 50+ person shower.  I did once and we watched gift opening FOR.EV.ER.

I don't think having people address their envelopes is a gracious move at all but I have come to understand that brides aren't the one who put that in motion so if asked, I just do it and forget it.  

I co-hosted a shower for my niece a couple of years ago.  I am one of the family cooks and my co-host SIL can't really boil water.  I took care of food and she took care of games.  I was mortified as I came into the room with appetizers to find her passing out envelopes to have everyone address their own for thank yous.  I said nothing as it was too late anyway, but if we ever cohost again, I will head that off at the pass.

Keep games to an real minimum, have really good food (really good food does not have to be expensive) and it will be wonderful.
  • Oh no! I'm worried now. My MOH and FMIL are planning on having the guests fill out their envelopes. But they are incorporating into a "game". My neices are pulling random envelopes and that is the person who wins a prize.

My shower is tomorrow and I can't change it now. I guess I didn't realize people thought it was rude. I've been to a number of showers where we filled out he envelopes and it never bothered me so I didn't think twice when they told me that is what is planned.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Miss Y to Mrs. Z  It's not too late to tell the MOH and FMIL that you don't want the guests to address envelopes. They could have the guests write their names on papers, if they need to draw names for a game. Don't risk offending your closest family and friends. 

• Oh no! I'm worried now. My MOH and FMIL are planning on having the guests fill out their envelopes. But they are incorporating into a "game". My neices are pulling random envelopes and that is the person who wins a prize.

My shower is tomorrow and I can't change it now. I guess I didn't realize people thought it was rude. I've been to a number of showers where we filled out he envelopes and it never bothered me so I didn't think twice when they told me that is what is planned.

If guests haven't already filled out the envelopes, you can absolutely change this. Just tell the hosts not to do it. Simple. People don't say anything, but it's REALLY rude. 

Since they've probably already purchased prizes for the game, just have guests write a piece of advice on an index card and sign it. When you do the drawing, read the piece of advice and give the guest the prize. Bride keeps all the advice tidbits.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards