Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Ring bearer flower girl ideas need advice

Ok so im getting married in September i have 3children from a previous relatiinship and my FH has a son from a previous marriage. We r including all 4 of our children in the wedding. I am thinking i want the boys who r the older 3and who r going to be 8,7,and 6 by the time the wedding is going to get here have them carry signs and then my lil girl who will be 3 to carry a basket with petals. So anyways my question is what to put on the signs i want them to be cute and funny but show the joining of our families?
My idea but needs work is...my oldest carrying a sign that says (My Mom &) FH son (My Dad are) then my second son (saying i do..yay) then my daughter with basket. Any ideas would be nice. Sorry so long and typing on my phone.

Re: Ring bearer flower girl ideas need advice

• Just to warn you, "cute" or "funny" signs, especially to give kids a role in the ceremony, don't tend to be viewed favorably in this forum.  They aren't necessary. 

Kids can be ring bearers, flower girls, bridesmaids, groomsmaids, bridesmen, groomsmen, ushers, or readers, just as adults can.

Also, if you need to advertise how the kids are related to you, this is better done with programs rather than signs.
  • The signs would not be just to give kids roles in the wedding it is for we dont want to single out any of the boys to feel left out by only giving one the ring bearer roll and only giving one of the boys the rings just didnt seem right. So we thought this is something they could do together cuz they love one another so much and to make them feel special that day!! So please dont think we r just throwing are kids in the wedding party just to put them there. We also r not having programs r ceremony is only going to be about 15 mins long so no point in programs since its going to be very simple, wedding party not big, and we arent doing anything special.
  • Then don't have a ring bearer, just let them be groomsmen.  

A problem with signs is that only the people sitting right on the aisle can see/read them and that's only if they turn all the way around to see them as they walk down the aisle which usually only happens when the bride starts to walk.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The signs would not be just to give kids roles in the wedding it is for we dont want to single out any of the boys to feel left out by only giving one the ring bearer roll and only giving one of the boys the rings just didnt seem right. So we thought this is something they could do together cuz they love one another so much and to make them feel special that day!! So please dont think we r just throwing are kids in the wedding party just to put them there. We also r not having programs r ceremony is only going to be about 15 mins long so no point in programs since its going to be very simple, wedding party not big, and we arent doing anything special.
    Most guests aren't impressed by "cute" or "funny" signs because the "cuteness" and/or "humor" seems too contrived.

It doesn't take signs to make the kids feel "included" or "special."
  • erinlin25erinlin25 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited November 2013
    have one carry the pillow with rings and the other two can hold a sign (one hold each end, so there is only one sign--do not overdo it) if that is what you want to do.  I wouldn't label who they are (most of your guests I am sure will know) but have seen the signs that say "Here Comes The Bride" or something like that.  Etsy I am sure with have other sayings.  Either way they will be cute so you do not necessarily need a sign to make them cute.

and flower girl can just have the basket, she does not need to throw the petals

Anniversary
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    erinlin25 said:
    have one carry the pillow with rings and the other two can hold a sign (one hold each end, so there is only one sign--do not overdo it) if that is what you want to do.  I wouldn't label who they are (most of your guests I am sure will know) but have seen the signs that say "Here Comes The Bride" or something like that.  Etsy I am sure with have other sayings.  Either way they will be cute so you do not necessarily need a sign to make them cute.

and flower girl can just have the basket, she does not need to throw the petals
    No one needs this either.  Everyone knows the bride is coming; it's not necessary for kids to have signs to give them a role or for them to be "cute."
  • I've seen a couple of weddings where the little boy or girl has a sign saying "Hey Uncle ___" "Here comes your girl/gal" or something of that nature.

I agree with you Jen4948 - everyone usually knows when the bride is coming, although even I would be like "Aww" seeing a sign that I stated in this post or whatever anyone comes up with. It depends on the families too. If they are big on kids (like my FI's family >.>) then something like this is what they would LOVE to see.

Our flower girl won't be throwing petals. The church won't allow it. So we're going to give her a ribbon wand. We're going to tell her to just walk down the aisle, twirling and swishing the wand. If she does it okay, if she doesn't want to, no biggie for us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CLI242009 said:
    I've seen a couple of weddings where the little boy or girl has a sign saying "Hey Uncle ___" "Here comes your girl/gal" or something of that nature.

I agree with you Jen4948 - everyone usually knows when the bride is coming, although even I would be like "Aww" seeing a sign that I stated in this post or whatever anyone comes up with. It depends on the families too. If they are big on kids (like my FI's family >.>) then something like this is what they would LOVE to see.

Our flower girl won't be throwing petals. The church won't allow it. So we're going to give her a ribbon wand. We're going to tell her to just walk down the aisle, twirling and swishing the wand. If she does it okay, if she doesn't want to, no biggie for us.
    When I've seen photos of kids carrying signs, the kids were scowling.  They didn't look cute.  And sometimes the signs just looked too big for the kids-they were struggling to hold them up, or the signs weren't visible. 

So I think it makes more sense to just have them as ring bearers or flower girls, or even just walking down the aisle with their parents.  And even if they don't go down the aisle, they can always be in photos.  They'll look cute without the signs.
  • @Jen4948 - Huh, scowling eh? Makes it sound like these kids were more forced into it than wanted to do it. I've only seen the sign holding at weddings held at my place of work (a hotel). The kids are usually happy and giggling *shrugs*

I agree about being in photos if they do or don't walk down the aisle. My FI's niece will be almost 4 as our flower girl. FI's nephew will be almost 2. Come the day of, either their mom or dad will be down att the end of the aisle while the other parent is with them telling them "walk to mommy/daddy" if they end up getting scared and not wanting to do it. Said parent who was going to walk with them, will just scoop them up and take them to the pews to sit down. No biggie. Honestly we wouldn't even be having a flower girl/ring bearer if the niece and nephew were not around.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards