Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation wording & enclosure questions

I have two questions as we are about to order our invitations.

1) Our venue requires the invitation time be half an hour prior to the actual ceremony time, as they say otherwise we run the risk of going overtime. However, they do a pre-ceremony champagne reception during the additional half hour, so it's not like the guests are being told to arrive early and then just sit around. So when I do the invitations, do you think I should just say 5:30 (even though our ceremony is at 6) or say pre-ceremony reception at 5:30/ ceremony at 6?

2) Ceremony & reception are in the same place so I know we can put both on the main invitation. But FI wants to get an enclosure card (it's really stylish) and I figure this way we can put our wedding website on it. We will have a blocked hotel but they provide enclosures. So should we just put the wedding website on the enclosure, or add the reception information there? Would it be weird to put both on 1 card?

Re: Invitation wording & enclosure questions

• I have two questions as we are about to order our invitations.

1) Our venue requires the invitation time be half an hour prior to the actual ceremony time, as they say otherwise we run the risk of going overtime. However, they do a pre-ceremony champagne reception during the additional half hour, so it's not like the guests are being told to arrive early and then just sit around. So when I do the invitations, do you think I should just say 5:30 (even though our ceremony is at 6) or say pre-ceremony reception at 5:30/ ceremony at 6?  Generally, lying to your guests and making the people that show up on time sit around until the actual start-time is extremely rude.  Can you just talk to your venue and say that you would like to just to the ceremony at 6 and skip the 'champagne reception'?  Or is it in your contract or something?

2) Ceremony & reception are in the same place so I know we can put both on the main invitation. But FI wants to get an enclosure card (it's really stylish) and I figure this way we can put our wedding website on it. We will have a blocked hotel but they provide enclosures. So should we just put the wedding website on the enclosure, or add the reception information there? Would it be weird to put both on 1 card? If the reception is in the same place, you can just put "Reception to follow" at the bottom of the invitation without an enclosure or anything for the reception.  It is up to you if you want to use the enclosures that the hotel provided or not.  Just keep in mind that if you have an enclosure for your website, not everyone will have access to the internet or know how to use a computer.  If I were you, I would have one card that matches the invites that gives all necessary details about the hotel and have something at the bottom like "For more information, please visit www.maryandjay.com".

• The venue can't control your invitations.  List the actual start time, not what time the venue wants your guests to be there.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I have two questions as we are about to order our invitations.

1) Our venue requires the invitation time be half an hour prior to the actual ceremony time, as they say otherwise we run the risk of going overtime. However, they do a pre-ceremony champagne reception during the additional half hour, so it's not like the guests are being told to arrive early and then just sit around. So when I do the invitations, do you think I should just say 5:30 (even though our ceremony is at 6) or say pre-ceremony reception at 5:30/ ceremony at 6?

The wording of your invitations isn't up to your venue.  And it would be rude to have guests come at a certain time, only to sit for half an hour.  The pre-ceremony reception doesn't compensate the guests for the rudeness.  Have the invitations list the actual start time of the ceremony as the start time and start exactly on time-don't wait for late guests.

2) Ceremony & reception are in the same place so I know we can put both on the main invitation. But FI wants to get an enclosure card (it's really stylish) and I figure this way we can put our wedding website on it. We will have a blocked hotel but they provide enclosures. So should we just put the wedding website on the enclosure, or add the reception information there? Would it be weird to put both on 1 card?

If your ceremony and reception are in the same place, you can put "Reception to follow" on the invitation and then use the insert for the hotel block, website, and anything else that will fit if you want.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards