40-Plus Brides
Options

Registery

We each have homes so we really don't need items off of a registery. We would prefer like Home Depot gift cards or money but that seems rude. How do you go about a registry when you already have homes?

Re: Registery

• Options
    We had the same issue. I wish Lowes and Home Depot had registries!  We ended up registering for things that needed to be upgraded, for example, neither of us ever owned a really good set of kitchen knives, and we upgraded to a King bed, so needed all new bedding.  Also, we registered for china.
     If you really need home improvement items, you might try registering on Amazon.com - you would be surprised at the variety of things they have - we asked for an electric drill on ours!  I believe Sears also has a registry, so that might be another route you can take...they have a good hardware section in their stores.
    Also, to be honest, all the gifts we received were given to us at our shower.  All but one person gave monetary gifts for the wedding (out of 130 guests).  Not sure if that's common!
  • Options
    Just register.  Over on the Second Weddings board, most of us have been married before, and so we, too, are combining households.  If you don't register, you're likely to get a bunch of things you don't want, like, or need. (Those who didn't register have horror stories!) By registering, then you let your guests know what you want.  Really, at this age, I needed a few new things, and who couldn't use more towels or sheets?  There were also some things that I didn't really need, but were things I wanted.  Like the spatulas that were all one color, matching my kitchen.  I had others, but how cute were those!!!???   By word of mouth, spread the want for the gift cards. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    We just combined our two households a couple years ago and have everything we really need. Like Sunshine, I'm going to register for things we need to upgrade...bedding, bath linens, everyday dishes (I think we're down to 7 plants out of the original 12) and other items that need to be replaced.
  • Options
    We didn't register, and it worked out great. I told everyone I spoke to: we didn't want any gifts, that we already had every object we could possibly acquire. Yes i'm in the minority, but I don't much like the whole system of registering. It would have made me uncomfortable to 'go shopping' like that/to link our wedding to this or that retailer. We had NO problems. Happily, some didn't gift. Some used their judgment and chose something. Some gave checks/gift cards. And it was fun for us to be surprised.
  • Options
    Some options are www.honeyfund.com for the gift of an experience for your honeymoon or donations to your favorite charity!
  • Options
    Lows has registries.
  • Options
    Jazzyliza said:
    Some options are www.honeyfund.com for the gift of an experience for your honeymoon or donations to your favorite charity!
    I would encourage you to disregard this suggestion.  
  • Options

Home Depot does have registry, just not available online. You have to go to the actual store to get the list. Not as easy to register at as other stores like Target.

When hubby & I got married, we were combining two households. So we took inventory of our kitchen stuff & towels and figured out what could use updating and then picked a ton of stuff that we just wanted (not needed). We registered for board games (we love game nights w/friends in the winter), bocce ball set, wine fridge, mini fridge for our bar, itune gift cards. mixer, basically stuff we thought was cool but wouln't spend our own money because we know we have other things we should spend the money on instead.

• Options
    I was originally registering at the Royal Caribbean web site so people could treat us to things on the ship (dinner at a specialty restaurant, massage at the spa), stuff like that.  However, my fiancé just found a job (Yahhhh!!!!!) so we can't schedule a honeymoon.  Now, my friends are really confused.  Alll we really need is a 6 foot ladder!  Cant wrap that!
  • Options
    KbastisKbastis member
    First Comment
    edited November 2013
    Deposit a gift! You make a list of things you need and want, big or small and then people deposit cash in an account. You get the cash. You should spend it on the items listed and not use it for rent. Check it out! Www.depositagift.com Not all lowes and Home Depots have registries. I went and asked at my local stores, nope, no registries.
  • Options
    Honeyfund allows you to build anything registries, say you want a playset, or a new office furniture set, or a car. You can list the item with 200 gift slots of $50 dollars each, so guests can buy a part of a larger gift. Also, I think Bed Bath and Beyond lets you return gifts for cash-
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards