New Jersey

Non traditional reception venue in New Jersey NJ

Hi! I just got engaged on Friday and I always wanted to have my wedding in the Fall. Unfortunately everywhere I have looked into seems to be booked solid for Sept-Oct of 2014.

I wouldn't mind an extended wedding weekend as my fiance's family will be coming in from England.

I just don't like catering halls or golf club type places. Any ideas for unique reception venues for a Fall wedding in New Jersey?

Re: Non traditional reception venue in New Jersey NJ

• We got married at Valenzano Winery in Shamong. It's not North Jersey but it was a beautiful place to get married. 

• I've heard the Crossed Keys Inn in Andover is beautiful.  Frungillo's catering has a few more "non-traditional" venue options: Oakeside Mansion in Bloomfield, The Inn at Millrace Pond in Hope, and Skylands Manor in Ringwood.  
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Skylands Manor is beyond gorgeous.  They are super expensive though and popular, so I bet they are booked already (at least Saturdays) for next fall.

What is non-traditional to you?  Our venue, Highlawn Pavilion in West Orange, is not as high demand as other places that only do weddings, so maybe they're open next fall.  They're in a nature reserve with awesome views of NYC, and a restaurant not a wedding factory, but the building is fairly traditional looking.

What about a museum, library, or gallery?  The Montclair Art Museum, Morristown Museum, and Newark Museum all do beautiful weddings.  Our library in Jersey City is insanely gorgeous, although I'm not sure you can rent it out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• there are a lot of nontraditional places in New Jersey and if your OK w/ distance even Pennsylvania and New York.  You can find a caterer as they generally work in places like this and can give you direction.  There's also a pinterest page on unique venues you can look through.
  • Cookie PusherCookie Pusher member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2014
    I believe Liberty Science Center can be rented out for weddings - that would be a pretty non-traditional venue! There are also options at parks and arboretums, you just have to look up what their policies are. I'm getting married in a garden next summer. It's probably farther south than you're looking for (Middlesex County), but it's a beautiful outdoor venue just off the main Rutgers campus that has all kinds of plants, trees, and vegetable gardens.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• My friend's brother is getting married at Liberty Science Center in May 2014 so it is definitely possible.
  • Check out the Grounds for Sculpture in south Jersey ... it's really amazing.
  • W Hoboken, Maritime Parc, Avenue and One Atlantic all have a very modern/edgy vibe! 

• I believe Liberty Science Center can be rented out for weddings - that would be a pretty non-traditional venue! There are also options at parks and arboretums, you just have to look up what their policies are. I'm getting married at Rutgers Gardens next summer. It's probably farther south than you're looking for (Middlesex County), but it's a beautiful outdoor venue just off the main Rutgers campus that has all kinds of plants, trees, and vegetable gardens.
    Ahhh, this is the best idea ever.  My fantasy wedding would have been at the Museum of Natural History.  Liberty Science Center sounded like it would have been a more attainable idea... except it was so expensive I gagged.  I think you have to pay to rent the space, then their caterer is like $200/pp.  Um, no.  However, if you can afford it... I'm super jealous.  I bet weddings there are fab.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I almost booked a wedding at the Morris Museum in Morristown. It was beautiful but a little more work than i was willing to put into it. The list of caterers they gave me would have worked with me to make price reasonable as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards