Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Makeup Woes

So I basically never wear makeup. Maybe some mascara here and then. But for my wedding I want some subtle makeup tp hide imperfections and make sure I look great for the pictures. My mother's hardresser will be doing our hair for the wedding and will be bringing a makeup artist she works with to do our makeup. I was just informed that she wants us to provide our own makeup. Is this normal?? I know its certainly more hygenical but I was under the impression that true wedding mkaeup artists come packing with their own suuplies. I have no clue what I should buy or what I even want. If I have to go to a makeup counter so I can figure out what I need and want why should I even have a makeup artist? Couldn't they just show me ahead of time??
Please help!

Re: Makeup Woes

• This is not normal at all. Have another makeup artist take care of you and (politely) tell the hairdresser to leave hers at home. 
  • So I basically never wear makeup. Maybe some mascara here and then. But for my wedding I want some subtle makeup tp hide imperfections and make sure I look great for the pictures. My mother's hardresser will be doing our hair for the wedding and will be bringing a makeup artist she works with to do our makeup. I was just informed that she wants us to provide our own makeup. Is this normal?? I know its certainly more hygenical but I was under the impression that true wedding mkaeup artists come packing with their own suuplies. I have no clue what I should buy or what I even want. If I have to go to a makeup counter so I can figure out what I need and want why should I even have a makeup artist? Couldn't they just show me ahead of time??
    Please help!
    Ok. I would skip the hairdresser friend make up thing. That just sounds NOT GOOD. I would recommend going to sephora, MAC, Ulta or any one of those places, have them do a make up tutorial with you, then you can buy what you need, and do it yourself. Also then you can see what you like and don't like.
  • I'm using the make up artist at my salon and they told me I had to bring my own foundation. I thought that was weird, but then they explained they couldn't possibly have every shade and every skin type covered without buying hundreds of different foundations, plus people usually have certain brands they like especially if they have oily or sensitive skin. She uses Sephora for all her other make up so I'm going to go there and get their help picking out a foundation since I don't really wear it. You could get a tutorial, but I would be hesitant about doing your own make up on your wedding day if you never wear it.
  • Some don't carry all of their own make up and some do.

Things you'll need:

Primer
    Concealer
    Foundation

Eyebrow make up (brush, gel, etc)
    Eye shadow
    Eye linear
    Mascara
    Eye lash curler

Blush and/ or Bronzer

Lipstick and/ or Lipgloss (if you mix)

Then you'll need brushes and sponges to apply your make up.
  • Oh noooo!  You can't have someone use your own makeup!  If you don't wear makeup then you don't have makeup!!! I just booked a makeup artist that I read about here on the knot!!!!!  Where are you located?  I booked Liz Fuller from Makeup Artistry Inc.  She is in Hingham, MA!!!!  I loved her. Do NOT let someone else plan these important details.  You do it yourself!!!!  EEEEEKKK!!!  I'm all fired up!!!
  • @tammym1001 .... the girl I am using has every shade under the sun!  I think it's cheap for a makeup artist not to buy all the shades but she's a MAKEUP ARTIST! She SHOULD have all the shades.  Plus what if your foundation isn't the right shade?  I think a lot of girls don't know how to find the shade that best matches them!
  • That was originally my concern and the biggest reason that I was going to a make up artist because I don't normally wear foundation. It isn't really the make up artist though. She just works at the salon so the owner buys all the supplies. I really like the girl there that does my hair and I don't want to go to several places on the wedding day so I'm sucking it up and bringing my own foundation. I'm going to go to Sephora and have someone there help me pick out the right shade before my make up trial.
  • @tammym1001 .... the girl I am using has every shade under the sun!  I think it's cheap for a makeup artist not to buy all the shades but she's a MAKEUP ARTIST! She SHOULD have all the shades.  Plus what if your foundation isn't the right shade?  I think a lot of girls don't know how to find the shade that best matches them!

Whoa. I use to model and I guess my opinion is pretty bias but here it is. If you're going to a photo shoot yes, the make up artist will have pretty much every shade and if not, I've seen some mix foundations to get the right shade. This is because the type of skin doesn't matter. It's solely for pictures. I've had some weird foundations put on that made my skin feel gross and I've also had to wear some weird make up. Again, it's fine because my comfort doesn't matter and it's for pictures.

For "personal" use:
    If a make up artist is coming to your home/ location then it's fine if they don't provide certain things like mascara, eye liner and foundation as long as they make you aware ahead of time. It's also acceptable for salons that aren't make up stores to ask you to bring in certain items. The higher end try to stay away from it though (or at least that's what I've experienced).
  • Not normal. I've had my makeup professional done several times as a bridesmaid, and I have NEVER experienced it where the makeup artist doesn't supply the makeup! How can they be a professional if they don't even have the tools to practice their trade? It's like hiring a plumber and him showing up at your front door without his toolbox.
  • If I'm getting my makeup professionally applied, I would definitely expect professional product! I'd start looking elsewhere...

I just wanted to come back and tell you guys that apparently I got incorrect information from the salon. I talked to the make up artist today and she said of course she has foundation. She mixes the perfect shade for your skin tone while you're there. She said she does tell people if they have a foundation that they really like then they can bring that in to use and she thinks that might be where the confusion came in. 
  • Oh noooo!  You can't have someone use your own makeup!  If you don't wear makeup then you don't have makeup!!! I just booked a makeup artist that I read about here on the knot!!!!!  Where are you located?  I booked Liz Fuller from Makeup Artistry Inc.  She is in Hingham, MA!!!!  I loved her. Do NOT let someone else plan these important details.  You do it yourself!!!!  EEEEEKKK!!!  I'm all fired up!!!

Anniversary

• totally not normal!!!!!  My MUA has EVERY SINGLE SHADE OF FOUNDATION!  She is prepared for all skin tones and colors.  So I'd skip that!  Either find another MUA or do what someone above mentioned-go to a makeup counter that you like....my MUA told me always to go to a counter where the person's makeup is something you'd wear.  A lot of them load on the makeup, though.  I'd go with Bobbi Brown or Clinique.  Just because their philosophy isn't about loading on makeup but just to make you look pretty. 
  • I've had my makeup done several times for weddings, events, etc.  The ONLY thing I've ever brought is lipstick by choice, just in case they don't have anything I like.  And that's because I'm very fussy (fell my teeth are a little yellow and don't like most lipsticks).  And the only other advice would be to be sure they have a lipstick you can buy for touch ups
  • Ok, wedding makeup is the career I'm working to have. I just got certified as a makeup artist and for the course I took I worked with someone who has 15 years of experience. As someone who has learned from professionals and is working to pursue it as a career, I am appalled someone would tell you to bring your own makeup. A real professional has their own kit, and their own brushes that they sanitize before and after every use. Hell, I'm still in the process of sending in applications and I already have a full makeup kit and brush set ready to go. You simply do not ask a client to bring their own makeup, the only exception being if the client has a specific product they want you to use and VOLUNTEERS to bring it with them. Whoever this hairdresser asked to do your makeup, they clearly do not know what they're doing if they don't even know that they should bring their own makeup. Book someone who actually knows what the hell they're doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards