Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Make-up help

How do you decide what to do for make-up? I don't wear make-up unless I have to. The last time I wore make-up was when FI and I got engaged, I don't know if a more natural look would show up in pictures. I want to look nice in pictures - not like I do every dang old day but I don't want to feel like you can see it from the moon.

Re: Make-up help

• I would ask your photographer. A lot of it depends on what type of camera they use (HD etc). I'm doing my make up and like you, I rarely wear make up. I'll be going to Sephora and having them teach me how to make up myself for the wedding and then practicing A LOT
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited November 2013
    I would recommend scheduling a consult at a department store make-up counter. If you don't normally wear make-up, Clinique might be a good start. The consult is free, but there's usually a minimum purchase required (2 items or $50 worth of make up or something). They'll do your make up and if you ask a ton of questions you can learn a lot. Let them know you want them to do it like they would for wedding photos and ask why they're doing what they're doing. Bring in a few photos of what you're looking for.
    *********************************************************************************

• I use some makeup on a daily basis.  Even so, there's no way I was doing my own for one of the most photographed days of my life.  

If you go with a MUA, make sure you have a trial first.  The first trial I had with airbrushed makeup I HATED it.  I found someone new, had traditional makeup and LOVED it.  I wasn't overly done but enough that it showed up well in photographs and I didn't look washed out.  

I'm of the opinion that if you don't do your makeup regularly, having a professional do it for one of the most important and photographed days of your life is totally worth the expense.  Cut back on flowers or something similar the guests won't notice if you need to adjust your budget, but don't skimp on something everyone (including you when you look back at photos) will notice.

• randerson123randerson123 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2013
    If were you, I would just book a makeup artist. Look for someone with a good portfolio, tell them you want a natural look, and do a trial.

Here's my logic: If you don't have much makeup now, you are going to have to drop at LEAST $50-$100 on all the products you'll need to look good (primer, concealer, foundation, mascara, eyeliner, several eye shadows, power, setting spray, an entire brush set, blush, highlighter, etc). PLUS you will have to spend lots of time playing around to figure out how to get the look you want and how to get it to stay all day. Great eye makeup application is not something you learn overnight. You'll have to practice a lot in order to ensure you can do it right on the big day.

IMHO, that's a lot of time and money and stress when you can pay the same amount and just have a professional take care of it for the day. If you're looking to save money on the wedding, use that extra time to DIY some flowers or some other aspect where you can save hundreds of dollars.

That being said, if you really are interested in doing your own makeup, I would recommend doing the trial thing at Sephora where you can try out products and they give you a makeover (you'll have to spend $50 on products).

Disclaimer: I am not a MUA and I am doing my own makeup. But I own tons and tons of makeup and it took me quite a while to get good at it.
  • I would recommend scheduling a consult at a department store make-up counter. If you don't normally wear make-up, Clinique might be a good start. The consult is free, but there's usually a minimum purchase required (2 items or $50 worth of make up or something). They'll do your make up and if you ask a ton of questions you can learn a lot. Let them know you want them to do it like they would for wedding photos and ask why they're doing what they're doing. Bring in a few photos of what you're looking for.
    The only issue with that is that you don't need any sort of certification to work behind a makeup counter, so while they may be good at selling their own products, the people working in department stores aren't really experienced makeup artists.  They were hired for their retail experience and ability as a salesperson, not for their makeup application skills.  They'll be great at telling you the pros and cons of their own makeup line, but they won't know much about other brands and will be too biased towards the brand they sell anyways to suggest anything else.  

If you can afford it, I really recommend at least getting a consult with a professional makeup artist.  They're going to be a lot more knowledgeable about not only which products to use, but what is going to look good on you and YOUR face/eye shape and skin tone/eye color.  I know something like a certificate seems like it's not that important, but having gone through the course required to get one, I can honestly say there's a LOT you learn while getting certified, the most important part being how different makeup applications flatter different facial structures, what colors to use on what skin tones/eye colors to really flatter someone, and the best approach to each client's different needs.  Someone at a department store hasn't learned any of that, they'll put the same makeup on you that they put on everyone else.  Also, you can ask your makeup artist the exact question you're asking all of us, and any other questions you have, and while you can bring them photos of what you'd like to look like, they'll also have plenty of photo inspiration to show you as well.  If you really want customized advice from someone with experience and knows how to work with your vision to create the look you want, go for a pro.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards