Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invite questions. Please help! :)

My wedding is April 12th, 2014. 
First question:

1. When should we send the invites out? It is a formal wedding where I grew up but FI didn't.. My FI's side will be traveling from the Chicago area to Cincinnati where our wedding is. I have no idea when to send them out. 

2. What should the RSVP by a certain date be? I am clueless! When is an appropriate date? 

3. RSVP card, how should it go? We want them to know that they can bring a guest. 

I sound ridiculous, I already know so please cut me some slack! lol. 

Thank you so much!

Re: Invite questions. Please help! :)

• Options
    CTYankeeBrideCTYankeeBride member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2013
    First question:

1. When should we send the invites out?  Around February 15th puts you at 8 weeks before the wedding.  Send them between then and March 1st (6 weeks before the wedding). It is a formal wedding where I grew up but FI didn't.. My FI's side will be traveling from the Chicago area to Cincinnati where our wedding is. I have no idea when to send them out.  This has no bearing on when to send out invites- send them out 6-8 weeks before the wedding.  Since you know travel will be required for many guests, save-the-dates might be nice (but are not at all required) so guests can start planning for travel farther out than 8 weeks before the wedding if they need to. 

2. What should the RSVP by a certain date be? I am clueless! When is an appropriate date? Your RSVP date should be 1-2 weeks before your reception venue/ caterer needs a final head count. 

3. RSVP card, how should it go? We want them to know that they can bring a guest. You indicate this first on the inner/ outer envelopes of the invite by addressing them to "Mr. John Smith and Guest" (use the guest's name if you know who the guest will be as in the case of a spouse or SO- reserve "and guest" for when you don't know who they will bring and they are welcome to bring anyone).  

I sound ridiculous, I already know so please cut me some slack! lol. Not ridiculous at all! 

Thank you so much!

**stuck in quote box** My answers are in bold.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First question:

1. When should we send the invites out? It is a formal wedding where I grew up but FI didn't.. My FI's side will be traveling from the Chicago area to Cincinnati where our wedding is. I have no idea when to send them out. Invitations go out 6-8 weeks prior to your wedding date. If you have VIPs who may need to know the date of the wedding earlier than that for travel reasons, drop them an email. Let them know you picked out a date and will be sending formal invites, but wanted them to know the date ASAP so they can plan.

2. What should the RSVP by a certain date be? I am clueless! When is an appropriate date? 2-4 weeks prior to your wedding date. This depends on your caterer/venue. Ask your vendors when they need a final head count. Usually it's about a week prior to your event. Give yourself about a week ahead of that so you have time to follow up on rouge RSVPs.

3. RSVP card, how should it go? We want them to know that they can bring a guest. This is actually taken care of when you address your envelopes. If you're having an outer AND inner envelope, you'll address the outer to the guest you know and the inner will say "Mr. John Smith and Guest". If you only have an outer envelope, it will say "Mr. John Smith and Guest. If you know their guests' name (e.g. they have an SO) address the SO by name - it's rude not to. If you don't know it, call/email/FB to find out. If you have specific questions on addressing your envelopes and where to start, start a new thread - there's a lot to know. :)

As for wording the RSVP, it depends on the formality of your wedding. If you have specific menu choices, you need additional info on your RSVP. Here are two ideas, one more formal, one less formal:

"The favour of your reply is requested by March 28, 2014
    M_________________________
    ___ Accepts with pleasure
    ___ Declines with regret"

"We look forward to celebrating with you!
    Name(s)__________________________
    ___ Wouldn't miss it!
    ___ Can't make it
    Please respond by March 28, 2014"

I sound ridiculous, I already know so please cut me some slack! lol. 
    You really don't - you're fine! :)

Thank you so much!
    Keep asking questions if this doesn't answer what you're looking for or if it causes more questions. :) People are here to help you.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    You don't sound ridiculous at all.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. You helped me greatly!
  • Options
    Another Q :)
    How would I formally address on the invitation that it starts at 5:45 in the evening?

• Options
    It's worded as "at three quarters after five o'clock."  No need to put evening as it's incredibly rare that a wedding at 5:45 would be at 5:45 a.m.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards