Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Rant - Planning on hold :(

KikiMiraKikiMira member
First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited November 2013 in Nevada-Las Vegas

Over this month, I feel like have learned a lot about myself and planning a wedding and how I deal with it. Everything snowballed very quickly and just like that, everything is on hold. I thought I dealt with stress well but this time I've learned I don't.

Some how we thought doing home reno's before the wedding was a good idea. It has become more costly than we thought and a lot of extra stress. We ended up doing a garage reno. We had many issues lots of stress and we went about $4000 over the quote. Between the "missing insulation" in the roof to the asbestos issue, I lost a lot of sleep over this. So we pulled some money from our wedding funds and decided we would repay it at J's bonus time …

Well, we found out last week, bonus time may not happen this year. J is facing major lay off's at his work. When I say major, I mean 1 in every 5 workers are loosing their jobs and they are cutting back 20% of the work force. They just did round one, all of J's team was all laid off. All 8 people on both the USA and Canadian side. No one can tell him if he is safe or not. All they say is "while that was round 1 and you are still here"…  but he over heard HR talking that they can hire a service provider to do their jobs/team for 1/4 of the price. Needless to say there is lots of extra stress about this alone not about the remainder of the wedding expenses and trying to figure all that with less than 5 months to everything needing to be paid. For now we are on hold with everything…. until we know his fate.

On top of that we are 5 months and 2 weeks out to the wedding date…. and I wish it was over.

My cousin had her wedding the 16th. It was a good wedding. Besides my grandmother, who went around and told our family members that I never invited her to my wedding. We had a full on conversion about it and she bluntly said "ha, I am not flying there for that, you should just have it here like most people, no one will go to your wedding because you aren't having it here at home"… *sigh* I told her I wasn't sending out invites until xmas time and she would still be getting one. She has time to think about it.

Oh and just because, my dog is sick. They think she has Addison's Disease…. bah…

I normally never stress about anything nor have anxiety and it has been popping up over the last 2-3 weeks. People always warned me, something will slow down planning or go wrong, just go with it… Ugh!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Rant - Planning on hold :(

• Options
    Im so sorry you are going through this. Wedding planning at the best of times can be stressful not to mention all of life's other stresses. Please dont let other people's negativity get to you (re: your grandmothers comments). People can get so nasty and hurtful around weddings and its moments like those that you need to surround yourself with positivity and people encouraging and supporting your plans. As you havent sent out your invitations yet (and even if you had) - you can always cancel or postpone your plans. Yes that will probably end up in a loss of deposits - but its not worth pushing forward if it will just cause you more stress and/or put you in a terrible financial position.

I have everything crossed for you that this all works out, FI gets to keep his job and you get your dream Vegas wedding in 5 months. I know its easier said than done, but try to focus on one thing at a time. I think your head is definitely in the right place putting things on hold pending the outcome of FIs job. We are all here if you want to vent or just want some support.

Can't wait to say 'I do' on April 14, 2014 - Planning Bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com

• Options
    exactly what missmo said. we are here for you :) to vent scream, or cry even if online.
  • Options
    Third that! It always seems that these things happen in waves and sadly it is while you are trying to plan the happiest day of your life. I am sorry you are dealing with all this added stress, but I hope you guys come out on the other side intact and secure and happy. Here is to hoping that 2014 is one of the better/best years of your life after all this mess!
  • Options
    ktbabe530ktbabe530 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2013
    Kiki - I'm so sorry that all this is going on with you guys.  I hope you find out about his job soon and that he can start looking elsewhere in the meantime.   My FI was out of work for about a year before we got engaged, I know how stressful it can be and the unknown makes it even worse.  Vegas will always be there when you guys are able to do it :)
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear about all the stress and craziness you have in your life right now. It always hits at once. Fingers crossed that everything will work out but the stress of the unknown is the hardest. Worse case scenario and you do have to postpone your dream wedding, nobody is going to judge you because you have valid reason.

As for the rude comments, just ignore them! Haters going to hate! I got a few "cheesy Vegas wedding" rude remarks before our wedding. I don't think people realize how hurtful they can be! After our wedding those same people went on and on about how our wedding was so classy, fun and we set the bar high for future weddings!

We are here for you!
  • Options
    Sorry you're dealing with this so close to the date.

I remodeled my own kitchen once, a long time ago, and promised myself I'd never take on a remodeling project again; what a nightmare.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    Thanks everyone it has been a bumpy road. I appreciate the positive comments.

We got some semi-good news today. FI (aka J) got pulled into his bosses office and was basically told he will be responsible for the new service team. With that he could also "own the company" that offers the managed services or have a friend set up a new company and come on board. But they will need to be a service provider and come in for around the same cost. He is in the process tonight figuring it out. So this is a positive. 

@vegasgroom - Apparently home reno's especially kitchen renos - ends with divorce 25% of the time, when a couple attempts it by themselves... I work in the industry and we lay the facts out and why you should hire a company to deal with the nightmare. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards