Honeymoon Discussions

Freebies for Telling Hotel or Travel Agent that it's your Honeymoon

We just booked our flights for our South American Honeymoon, but we haven't booked any hotels yet. We are probably going to stay in 4 different hotels over the course of the trip. Would you recommend booking hotels through a travel agent to see if they can get you any honeymoon deals? Did anyone get freebies (breakfast, champagne in room, etc.) for letting hotels know it was your honeymoon before arriving. I was debating just booking everything online b/c of the language barrier, but I think I might miss out on some perks. Thoughts?

Re: Freebies for Telling Hotel or Travel Agent that it's your Honeymoon

• It probably differs based on hotel and region, but I've worked for a few hotel brands and they would put little goodie baskets in the room if they knew. Not usually champagne, but a nice variety of snacks and a nice card.
  • you can always mention it when you check in. sometimes, if it's not a hotel full of HMers htey will give you something extra.

i wouldn't recommend using a TA just to get perks from a hotel. i recommend using a TA becuase it makes it easier and if you have a grat one they can offer you all kinds of insight and perhaps get better deals etc....

•  We definitely mentioned our 'honeymoon' when we booked! Most resorts will throw something in! Ours planned a romantic dinner, with roses all over the table, and specialty drinks etc, on whatever night we wanted to go. They did a big breakfast-in-bed platter, had champagne in the room upon arrival, and discounts to the spa. (Which we used towards our couples massage, which I *totally* recommend)! Most resorts will require your marriage certificate. Usually the "non-legal" tear-off one they give you at the ceremony, is sufficient. (As you don't get the official approved copy for a while after). For us, I'm definitely happy we added it in, and would recommend it to all honeymooners! :)

*J
  • Thanks for that tip. I'll remember to make copies!
  • I must be the odd man out but H and I never mentioned our HM once to try and get freebies.  We just really didn't see the need.

• I booked thru hotels.com and was upgraded at two hotels when I wrote "it's our honeymoon" in there. I think it depends on the type of hotel, actually
  • This reminds me of that episode of Friends where Monica and Chandler go on honeymoon and the couple in front of them get all the upgrades.

We're planning a destination wedding and our honeymoon will be combined, I've had to avoid mentioning either of those words (wedding or honeymoon) because the price just gets inflated.
  • One of my honeymoon hotels was booked under a Honeymoon Package...which included 50% off of the hotel rate, breakfast and dinner daily, a couples massage, and a whole host of other goodies.  My travel agent was able to get me this deal.  We need to bring a copy of the marriage certificate with us (to prove that we got married within a year of the trip - that's what qualifies us for the special rates).

Hotels that don't have specific honeymoon packages may still give you a room upgrade or a bottle of champagne if you mention that you're on your honeymoon at check in.  Travel agents will likely have better access to specific honeymoon-related deals - i had been researching this hotel for MONTHS and never saw this deal advertised anywhere.  A good travel agent is worth his/her weight in gold.

• Thanks for all the tips. It sounds like talking with a travel agent can't hurt. I'm sure they can also keep you way from those hotels that UPCHARGE for honeymoons.
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2013
    I don't think it should be mentioned just to get freebies.  That just seems a little ... off to me.  

We did get one freebie.  We were getting our rental car (booked in advance) and the guy was filling out the paperwork for our mid-size car.  He asked what we were doing in Seattle and we said on our honeymoon and he upgraded us to a Camaro.  But we certainly didn't expect it and only told him because he asked.

@CommitmentCat, it reminds me of that Friends episode as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards