Wedding Reception Forum

Card box theft

We are planning on having a small old chest on the table for cards. It goes with our theme. Very similar to the suitcases a lot of people do. Do I need to worry about someone stealing cards with money in them since it will be an open container? I do not want to do the birdcage idea or simple box with a hole cutout.  Mostly I'm worried about the people working the wedding with "sticky" hands but sometimes I even worry about those shady family members that you have to invite (otherwise it will be more drama if you dont invite them).

Re: Card box theft

• leelabear said:

We are planning on having a small old chest on the table for cards. It goes with our theme. Very similar to the suitcases a lot of people do. Do I need to worry about someone stealing cards with money in them since it will be an open container? I do not want to do the birdcage idea or simple box with a hole cutout.  Mostly I'm worried about the people working the wedding with "sticky" hands but sometimes I even worry about those shady family members that you have to invite (otherwise it will be more drama if you dont invite them).

I'm truly sorry that this is something you have to worry about. I have two drug addicts in my family (very sad) who I loved and invited. We worried about this since they've stolen from family in the past. It sucked, but we had to take precautions because of it.

We used a wooden chest and cut a hole in the top so cards could be put in but not taken out. We locked it but faced the lock toward the wall so it wasn't visible. After dinner, we emptied it and put the cards in our car. We returned the box to the gift table in case anyone still wanted to put a card in it. 

Could you do this with your chest? If not and you're truly worried about theft, I suggest you use a different card box. If you don't want to use a more secure card box, then you just have to assume the risk.
    *********************************************************************************

• You need to come up with something more secure. It's not worth the potential loss to have the 'right' card box. Do you have a coordinator at your venue? Mine put my card box in a bag and under my table so it was out of sight, at least.
  • We used a box like you're describing. The card/gifts table was set up right next to where the events co-ordinator (our reception was at a country club). Our event co-ordinator never took her eyes off the box, and after all the guests had arrived and were milling around (i.e., after people would have put the cards in), she closed it, got my parents' car keys from them, gave them to the valet, and the valet loaded all of our gifts into my parents' car.

Depending on where you reception is, this might be an option.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Well I had a DIY weekend. I made a cover for the chest out of cardboard and fabric to match. I don't want to have to worry about it. I'll have too many other things to worry about. Thanks everyone.

• We're using a box where to open it, they'd basically spill out all the cards. I'm sure someone would notice that. My cousin sadly does have sticky fingers which is why we designed the box like this. We might use the glue tabbies to glue the lid shut as well, but not sure yet on that.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Its a cover that takes a lot of skill to open. They would have to turn the chest pretty much upsidedown to get to the cards. I almost glued it on but I plan on using it afterwards so I didnt want to permanently alter it.
  • My brother had something similar. He had my other brother take the box right around when dinner ended to his car so they were okay. I heard that having the box near the sweetheart table or near you can make a theft less likely to take from it since it's so close to the important couple.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • We are assigning one of the BMs to take the box up to our room after the second course, if people waited longer than that they can hand it to me
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards