Nevada-Las Vegas

Hair/Makeup - several ??s

tcnobletcnoble member
First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
edited November 2013 in Nevada-Las Vegas
So I know there are a few threads (yes, I searched) for hair and makeup reviews but none that really answered what I'm looking for.

1. What is the "typical" cost for hair and makeup when someone comes to your hotel room?

2. Is it to be expected that I will pay for a trial, or are there any reputable companies where this is included?

3. Have any of you ever gone to a place like Mac or Sephora at Town Square the day of your wedding to get makeup done? Our ceremony isn't until 5:30pm so this COULD be an option, but wanted to know if anyone else had done this and regretted not doing it all in the hotel suite.

4. Airbrush make up - give me your pro's and cons.

5. Last but not least - recommendations!! Be brutally honest - this is a big component that I am really worrying about.

Thanks in advance ladies :)

ETA : I am a Vegas local so trials and various locales here in town are an option.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Hair/Makeup - several ??s

• spoon1984spoon1984 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    3. I really wanted to do this but coming from the UK I wasn't able to find an email address to get in touch with Mac to arrange beforehand. I did get my makeup done at a Mac counter in the UK to give me ideas. I ended up getting my make up done in the hotel salon (Cosmopolitan) which was great but it was pricy. I paid around $350 for spray tan, make up, hair and lashes but was it worth it for the ease, peace of mind and would I do it again yes. I got married in July so I didn't want to have to walk outside after hair and make up. If you are getting married at a cooler time and can easily go to Mac at Town Square for a trial beforehand then I would definitely give that a go.

4. I didn't have airbrush. The 'liquid make up used on me (Nars) lasted all night it was great with good coverage.
  • I had my makeup done at MAC for my bachlorette party. I was happy with my makeup for our night out on the town but I don't think I would recommend it for your wedding. Depending on how busy the store is, they still have to help other people. At one point my makeup artist had to keep excusing himself to answer the phone. Even though your ceremony is later on, it could be really hard to stay on schedule. Plus, I was given an artist that was available not able to pick a specific one. The artist that you get might not have the style that you like.

For my wedding, I went to Color Saloon. It was more expensive than having somebody come to your room but I was so happy with how I looked and the rest of my party, that it was well worth it! I had the airbrush done and I was very impressed. It stayed in all day, looked great in pictures and it didn't feel heavy (and I normally only wear tinted moisturizer). The only downside was I did break out a couple of days after the wedding. Not to sure if it was from the makeup or not but it was after the wedding so I didn't care!
  • 1. Not sure what typical is.  My guess would be over $100/per person.

2. You don't have to pay for a trial, but it may put your nerves at ease to do one.  You could also find a make up artist and hair stylist in your area and try ideas with them.  I had my makeup done about 3 times before my wedding at home and based upon those experiences I knew I didn't want brown or shimmery eyeshadow on my big day.  I consider my wedding day makeup to still have been a semi fail, but that's neither here nor there.  ,

3. I did my rehearsal dinner wedding makeup at Sephora at the Venetian (claudia) and she was AMAZING.  Loved that look 100 times over my wedding day makeup.

4. Airbrush make up - if you have to pay extra for it, I would pass.  I had airbrush makeup done and I didn't notice a difference from liquid/powder/cream that I have done in the past. 

5. Last but not least - recommendations!! I wouldn't book with 702 is the best recommendation I have.  I have seen lots of pics on this site and a MUA I can think of that I have seen in pics that I have liked is Harmony Medina. 
  • My wife is very happy she did a trial the night before, however, it only worked out as well as it did because we also had our wedding photographer shoot our rehearsal dinner.  He sent us some of the pics later that evening so in the morning she was able to review how her trial run makeup looked on her face when shot by the same photographer who would be doing the wedding.  She made some adjustments based on that and the wedding / reception photos came out exactly how she wanted.  I'm sure she'd have been happy regardless but keep in mind that how you look in the mirror and how you look on camera can differ so if you're doing a trial run, it's advantageous to have photos taken too.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• As for the airbrushed v. non-airbrushed debate:  I had airbrushed make up for my wedding, and then recently had non-airbrushed makeup done for a wedding I was attending.  Personally, I thought that the airbrushed makeup was better (but perhaps it just worked better for my skin, etc.)  The airbrushed makeup stayed perfect from 3 pm til after midnight the day of my wedding.  We were running around the Bellagio hotel in 100 degree heat for some outdoor photos (August wedding) and it held up great.  I used Harmony Medina (I cannot remember what I paid, sorry!)   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have Harmony Medina booked for my wedding next week, bridal HMU is $150, trial is $50, but she comes to your hotel at no extra cost. Even with the extra $ for the trial I found this to be cheaper than similiar choices. I'm going to be getting airbrush done and I'll be posting some reviews when I get back :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards