Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

How far out did you book your Hair/MU Artist?

My wedding is in June 2014.  I found someone who does both hair/MU that I want to try.  I could book a trial now and then book her for the wedding if I like her, but don't want to "waste" the trial fee if I don't have anything specific to go to after having my hair and makeup done.  I am going to someone else's black tie wedding in December, so thought that day would be good to do the trial.  Is that waiting too long or is 6 months in advance plenty of time to book someone?

Re: How far out did you book your Hair/MU Artist?

• I booked mine 6 months in advance.  Popular MUAs book up fast where I live (Dallas).  I used her for my E-pics and loved it so I booked her on the spot.  I still did a wedding day trial about 3 months before my wedding.  Although I understand not wanting to "waste" the trial, be aware that the way you want to look as a guest at a wedding might be different than how you want to look as the bride.
  • I am getting married in May 2014 and I booked my appointments a few weeks ago. When I asked at my salon they were like oh you should have booked your appointment already. She said they already book Saturdays up really fast and Saturdays in the summer are insane for them. I would think the sooner you can book the person you want the better.
  • It depends on her popularity. If she is well known & high demend stylist, you may need to book her now. With it being a June wedding, I would say book sooner then later. Is booking her now & scheduling trial for December an option? Then if you don't like the results, you can always cancel her & have plenty of time to find someone else. But then you have her locked in for now.
  • I'm also getting married in May 2014 and did a simple makeup trial with my make up artist last weekend. I loved the way my make up came out so I booked her. My fiance and I are planning on having our engagement shoot in January so I will use my makeup artist again for a full hair and makeup (airbrushed) trial, so she can look down the hair style my wedding. I don't feel like I wasted my time or money on the simple trial because I got a chance to get to know her a bit and her makeup style, and see how we work together to accomplish the look I'm going for. I would also agree book sooner than later. I've already missed out on a few make artist  due to late bookings.
  • The company I ended up going with I booked December 2012 (I'm getting married this coming weekend).  October is a busy wedding time in the DC area, so I wanted to make sure I had someone good.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm already talking to one and setting up a trial appt (ours is just a few weeks after yours). What I did is make friends with a local Mary Kay consultant. She gets to put in her party time and practice on all of us, and stands to make good sales, and if she's up for day-of prep, we'll pay her for her time.
  • Oh I booked mine pretty much the week or so after I got engaged bc I was adament on getting THESE girls. I booked my regular hairdresser and the makeup artist who works right next to her in the salon. I have always wanted them to do my hair and makeup if I were to ever get married. They book up months and months in advance so I wanted to make sure I had them.
  • I want to wait and do my trial in March for a November 2014 wedding.  Should I book now (and leave a deposit) to ensure I get my date?  Or should I definitely do the trial before booking?
  • I want to wait and do my trial in March for a November 2014 wedding.  Should I book now (and leave a deposit) to ensure I get my date?  Or should I definitely do the trial before booking?
    Do your trial first!  What if you leave your deposit, do your trial later and hate it?  Chances are, you're not getting that deposit back!

FWIW, I HATED my first trial.  The second person I found did a great job.  Sure, it sucked having to pay two trial fees.....but at least I didn't lose any deposits!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards