Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Losing weight with a corset gown

Hi there!

I just ordered my wedding gown, and am completely in love with the design http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?style=VSM7125. I was measured right between two sizes and the consultant convinced me that I should order the larger size. My wedding is is in about 6 months, and I (like everyone) have every intention of losing weight. I'm concerned though that if I lose too much weight (my goal is a lofty 30lbs) the corset won't tighten completely on the bottom and will appear soggy. I know there's a little give in the dress because of the back, but I like it being pulled super tight and snug and don't want to lose that in the waist area.

Does anyone else have experience with this? If so, how much weight did you lose, and how much did it affect the corset? Now that my dress is ordered there's really no going back now and changing the size, but I worry that alterations will change the design.

Any advise or reassurance will help.

Thanks!

Re: Losing weight with a corset gown

• Options
    If you do lose that much weight they will have to take in the dress. Don't worry a good seamstress can do it without taking away anything from the look of your dress.  A corset is good for a small weight change (which is why I got it). I agree with store, you were better off going bigger because what if you don't lose the weight.
  • Options
    A true corset should be sized with the intent to have several inches in the back where you need the coverage of the modesty panel, i.e. the sides do not touch each other. That would give you those extra inches where it could be cinched fully closed if you lost that much.
  • Options
    Go with the bigger size. When you go for alterations, the seamstress will be able to adjust if you do lose the weight. If you don't, you don't have the extra stress of a gown that doesn't fit.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Thank you ladies! I was having a mild freak out moment because the difference between what i was measured and the smaller size was only a 1/2" in the waist.

I'm trying to not go too crazy over budget with adding alterations, so hopefully if I do lose the weight, it won't be that dramatic in inches.
  • Options
    @awesomesocks

I have a corset dress and planned on losing some weight too. I talked to the lady who will be doing the alterations and asked her how much weight I could lose without having to do too much "extra alterations". She told me that the corset I have allows about 10 - 15 pounds for weight loss. Yes I could lose more and have the dress taken in more but it's good to have those numbers in the back of my head - especially since I was not thinking of losing more than 10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards