Wedding Etiquette Forum

Engagement gifts

My FI and I have been engaged for 1.5 weeks.  Yesterday, my FMIL sent me a long email asking if I was going to register for gifts, suggesting places to register, asking to be included when I register, and then alluded to wanting this all done quickly because her friends have been asking about sending engagement gifts.  I responded in what I thought was a polite way, saying that I was planning on registering much closer to the wedding because I had heard that otherwise things on the registry might end up discontinued/out of season, but that I could try to put together a registry at one store now if that is what she wanted.  I also mentioned that I didn't want to offend anyone by not inviting them to the wedding if they sent a gift, so to please check with FI about who is on the guest list before distributing the registry info.  She then wrote back a VERY long email explaining how she and her friends and neighbors always get engagement gifts for newly engaged couples, and do not expect to be invited to the wedding, and her friends would be giving us cash for the wedding, not gifts, so the registry is useless to her if it's not available NOW (but that, of course, we don't have to register and in that case her friends will just send us whatever they like).

First of all, the email was very condescending, which upset me.  Part of the reason I'm posting about this is to vent my frustration that the first real interaction we've had about the wedding was so negative.

However, I am also curious about what others think about the etiquette of distributing a gift registry to those who ask for it, knowing that the majority of them will not be invited to the wedding.  I think that if they would like to send a gift or card of their own choosing, that is very kind, but I am somewhat opposed to generating a list of things for them to get us, as that suggests that we want/expect gifts, and I don't.  Frankly, we don't even have use or space for gifts right now, so the majority would have to be stored or returned.

Re: Engagement gifts

• Your instincts are correct. Your FMIL is being very pushy and you need to have FI deal with her. He needs to tell her, 'No, Mom, we won't be doing that, I'm sorry. '
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I've been engaged for a couple months and the wedding isn't until 2016. People are asking about registries, but you're right about not registering until closer to the wedding. Items change, then you just have to do it again and waste more time.

Your FMIL does sound very pushy. Make sure your FI knows what is going on and speaks to her. I have not heard of people giving gifts and not expecting to be invited to the wedding.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • I have been in this exact situation recently. The only thing you can do is put your foot down. Tell her no up front, or you open the door to further pushiness in the future.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • If they do this all the time, they should know what makes a good engagement gift. And if they really want to send one, I'm sure your FMIL has your address. 

Set the tone for the duration of your engagement by passing her off to your FI when she's bitchy and pushy like this. Don't let her think that you're going to be the main communicator. He needs to put his foot down and tell her the early registry is not happening. 
    *********************************************************************************

• diosa428 said:
    My FI and I have been engaged for 1.5 weeks.  Yesterday, my FMIL sent me a long email asking if I was going to register for gifts, suggesting places to register, asking to be included when I register, and then alluded to wanting this all done quickly because her friends have been asking about sending engagement gifts.  I responded in what I thought was a polite way, saying that I was planning on registering much closer to the wedding because I had heard that otherwise things on the registry might end up discontinued/out of season, but that I could try to put together a registry at one store now if that is what she wanted.  I also mentioned that I didn't want to offend anyone by not inviting them to the wedding if they sent a gift, so to please check with FI about who is on the guest list before distributing the registry info.  She then wrote back a VERY long email explaining how she and her friends and neighbors always get engagement gifts for newly engaged couples, and do not expect to be invited to the wedding, and her friends would be giving us cash for the wedding, not gifts, so the registry is useless to her if it's not available NOW (but that, of course, we don't have to register and in that case her friends will just send us whatever they like).

First of all, the email was very condescending, which upset me.  Part of the reason I'm posting about this is to vent my frustration that the first real interaction we've had about the wedding was so negative.

However, I am also curious about what others think about the etiquette of distributing a gift registry to those who ask for it, knowing that the majority of them will not be invited to the wedding.  I think that if they would like to send a gift or card of their own choosing, that is very kind, but I am somewhat opposed to generating a list of things for them to get us, as that suggests that we want/expect gifts, and I don't.  Frankly, we don't even have use or space for gifts right now, so the majority would have to be stored or returned.
    Just an FYI you don't use any wedding related gifts until after you are married.  You open them to make sure they aren't damaged, send a thank you note, and then store them in their original packaging until after the.  This is because if for some reason the wedding should not happen you are expected to return the gift to the giver.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Your FMIL's pushiness bothers me.  However, it's quite common in my circle to send a newly engaged couple a gift too.  Often times I send gifts to people whose weddings I'm not invited to.  And if I am invited/do attend a wedding, I always give a cash gift, so engagements and showers are where physical gifts come in.  (By any chance are they NYC Italians like we are? lol)  There obviously isn't a right or wrong way, just wanted to share what I and members of my circle do. 

That being said, your FMIL sounds like a handful.  I wouldn't appreciate long-winded emails with demands like asking to be included when you register.  Is she serious?  And like I said, although I understand where she and her friends are coming from as far as wanting to give a gift, it's wrong of your FMIL to demand you register.  Sounds like you've been incredibly patient and polite so far, good luck keeping it up!

• eileenrob said:

Your FMIL's pushiness bothers me.  However, it's quite common in my circle to send a newly engaged couple a gift too.  Often times I send gifts to people whose weddings I'm not invited to.  And if I am invited/do attend a wedding, I always give a cash gift, so engagements and showers are where physical gifts come in.  (By any chance are they NYC Italians like we are? lol)  There obviously isn't a right or wrong way, just wanted to share what I and members of my circle do. 

That being said, your FMIL sounds like a handful.  I wouldn't appreciate long-winded emails with demands like asking to be included when you register.  Is she serious?  And like I said, although I understand where she and her friends are coming from as far as wanting to give a gift, it's wrong of your FMIL to demand you register.  Sounds like you've been incredibly patient and polite so far, good luck keeping it up!

@eileenrob is right, different social circles will do different things. Your FMIL might have this be something that they always do, but her pushiness and emails are not appropriate, especially since you just got engaged not even 2 weeks ago!
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • WeeshWeesh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited November 2013
    diosa428 said:

I replied exactly the same way when I was asked.  We got engaged on St. Patrick's Day, and within two weeks, I was being asked where we were planning to register.  I was off in newly engaged land and I had no idea where I wanted to register, and I wasn't even thinking about what we wanted.

Just politely say no.  If she persists, and you have an idea of where you might want to register, you could let her know.  My FSIL wanted to get us a gift, and she asked my fiance a few times about a registry.  He finally told her that we were probably going to register at BB&B, but that we would be grateful and appreciative for whatever she wanted to get.  She was persistent, so my fiance told her.  She also lives out of state, so I think she wanted to get something for us as opposed to a card.  We also had a really small engagement barbecue, and did not register.  People brought us gift cards, picture frames, or bottles of wine.  When people asked my mom where we were registered, she passed along that we weren't yet and people understood.

I'm sorry that your first wedding related exchange with her was negative, but don't cave and register just because she tells you that you should.  Otherwise, the rest of the planning process could get worse if she thinks she can dictate what you should do.  Etiquette-wise, you are completely fine.  Congratulations on your engagement!

Edited for spelling fails!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, your FMIL is being obnoxious about this.

Politely tell her no.  Just say something like, "FMIL, I'm sorry, but FI and I have told you that we're not ready to register for anything now."  And then bean-dip her from this point on.
  • penelope4612penelope4612 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2013

Thanks for the responses.  I will tell her I'm not registering now and have FI deal with her from here on out.  I guess I just didn't expect such a dramatic response detailing who would buy us what when and give us cash when, not to mention her complete disregard that there are people who will be invited to the wedding who are NOT her friends who might like to look through the registry rather than give cash.  And the completely condescending tone she took, as if I was being ridiculous for not having my registry already sorted out less than 2 weeks after getting engaged.  Silly me, for trying to actually find a venue rather than focusing on presents.

• mysticl said:Just an FYI you don't use any wedding related gifts until after you are married.  You open them to make sure they aren't damaged, send a thank you note, and then store them in their original packaging until after the.  This is because if for some reason the wedding should not happen you are expected to return the gift to the giver.  

Yeah, I meant stored some place that isn't our apartment, probably for quite a long time after the wedding, since we have no extra room for things regardless of whether we want them or not, and I don't think we'll be moving any time soon.  I realize we'll have to deal with this sooner or later anyway, with any wedding stuff that comes.  The sentence didn't really make sense, I was reacting to her wanting us to make a registry so we'd actually get things we want instead of random things but I didn't actually include that in the paragraph so it didn't make any sense.
  • Pushy yes, but I think this is going to be one of those things that it will be easier to go do & have fun registering. Tell her your enjoying being engaged at the moment and will do it after the holidays and that she can pass that info onto her friends that after the holidays you'll be registering. 

Personally I think it's a pick your battles situation and if this is what her and her friends do, it's a battle not worth fighting. Save the fights for the bigger more important things down the line.

• mysticl said: diosa428 said: My FI and I have been engaged for 1.5 weeks.  Yesterday, my FMIL sent me a long email asking if I was going to register for gifts, suggesting places to register, asking to be included when I register, and then alluded to wanting this all done quickly because her friends have been asking about sending engagement gifts.  I responded in what I thought was a polite way, saying that I was planning on registering much closer to the wedding because I had heard that otherwise things on the registry might end up discontinued/out of season, but that I could try to put together a registry at one store now if that is what she wanted.  I also mentioned that I didn't want to offend anyone by not inviting them to the wedding if they sent a gift, so to please check with FI about who is on the guest list before distributing the registry info.  She then wrote back a VERY long email explaining how she and her friends and neighbors always get engagement gifts for newly engaged couples, and do not expect to be invited to the wedding, and her friends would be giving us cash for the wedding, not gifts, so the registry is useless to her if it's not available NOW (but that, of course, we don't have to register and in that case her friends will just send us whatever they like).
    However, I am also curious about what others think about the etiquette of distributing a gift registry to those who ask for it, knowing that the majority of them will not be invited to the wedding.  I think that if they would like to send a gift or card of their own choosing, that is very kind, but I am somewhat opposed to generating a list of things for them to get us, as that suggests that we want/expect gifts, and I don't.  Frankly, we don't even have use or space for gifts right now, so the majority would have to be stored or returned. Just an FYI you don't use any wedding related gifts until after you are married.  You open them to make sure they aren't damaged, send a thank you note, and then store them in their original packaging until after the.  This is because if for some reason the wedding should not happen you are expected to return the gift to the giver.  

I have to wonder if there is a grey area here.  The gifts are to be given at the
    engagement party. I have only attended a few engagement parties.  Of the gifts given, many were related to wedding planning, which were meant to be used during the engagement.  Others were engagement, rather than wedding specific, such as Christmas ornaments or frames for engagement pictures.  Of the few parties I have attended, the gifts were not registry/wedding specific because a registry had yet to be established (because it was too early out to do it).  So I would argue that some of these gifts were given with the intention of being helpful and used by the bride to be.
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    mobkaz said:
    mysticl said:
    diosa428 said:

Just an FYI you don't use any wedding related gifts until after you are married.  You open them to make sure they aren't damaged, send a thank you note, and then store them in their original packaging until after the.  This is because if for some reason the wedding should not happen you are expected to return the gift to the giver.  

I have to wonder if there is a grey area here.  The gifts are to be given at the engagement party. I have only attended a few engagement parties.  Of the gifts given, many were related to wedding planning, which were meant to be used during the engagement.  Others were engagement, rather than wedding specific, such as Christmas ornaments or frames for engagement pictures.  Of the few parties I have attended, the gifts were not registry/wedding specific because a registry had yet to be established (because it was too early out to do it).  So I would argue that some of these gifts were given with the intention of being helpful and used by the bride to be.

If it was something like a wedding planner that could be used before the wedding since it would be worthless if use after.  Things like toasting goblets and cake cutters are obviously meant to be used the day of the wedding.  Something like a Christmas ornament or a picture frame I would still consider a wedding gift that needed to be returned if the wedding did not happen, they are meant for use in the marital household.  Lack of a registry doesn't exempt gifts from being considered "wedding" gifts.  

ETA: The Knot did something funky with the boxes and paragraphs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • diosa428 said:

Thanks for the responses.  I will tell her I'm not registering now and have FI deal with her from here on out.  I guess I just didn't expect such a dramatic response detailing who would buy us what when and give us cash when, not to mention her complete disregard that there are people who will be invited to the wedding who are NOT her friends who might like to look through the registry rather than give cash.  And the completely condescending tone she took, as if I was being ridiculous for not having my registry already sorted out less than 2 weeks after getting engaged.  Silly me, for trying to actually find a venue rather than focusing on presents.

I don't blame you, and you're not silly or ridiculous.  I'm sorry that she's jerking you around so hard.  Hopefully your FI will get her to back off.
  • My FMIL did the exact same thing.  If this is something that the circle does more often, there is no need to register so early, because they probably already know what makes a good gift.  I just don't understand why some people are so dependent on these registries.  There was once a time when there was no such thing, and gasp! people got things for their wedding regardless!  Register when you have time - don't let her pressure you into doing it.
    At least you just got a snarky email.  My FMIL started buying stuff in order to goad us into registering faster.  FI had to deal with it. 

• Erikan73 said:

Pushy yes, but I think this is going to be one of those things that it will be easier to go do & have fun registering. Tell her your enjoying being engaged at the moment and will do it after the holidays and that she can pass that info onto her friends that after the holidays you'll be registering. 

Personally I think it's a pick your battles situation and if this is what her and her friends do, it's a battle not worth fighting. Save the fights for the bigger more important things down the line.

I disagree.  If the e-mail from her FMIL made the OP uncomfortable and felt condescending, registering condones that type of behavior.  The next time something else comes up in their engagement and/or wedding planning that FMIL wants, she might resort to the same type of behavior because she got her way the first time she did it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2013
    Weesh said:
    Erikan73 said:

Pushy yes, but I think this is going to be one of those things that it will be easier to go do & have fun registering. Tell her your enjoying being engaged at the moment and will do it after the holidays and that she can pass that info onto her friends that after the holidays you'll be registering. 

I disagree.  If the e-mail from her FMIL made the OP uncomfortable and felt condescending, registering condones that type of behavior.  The next time something else comes up in their engagement and/or wedding planning that FMIL wants, she might resort to the same type of behavior because she got her way the first time she did it.
    I have to agree.  I wouldn't enjoy registering, and if I'd just gotten an email like the one the OP got from her FMIL, especially if I didn't have time to register before the holidays or whenever, I really would resent being pushed around like this, and definitely wouldn't "have fun" registering.  And giving in to a bitchy kind of email like this will make the FMIL think she can do the same thing every time she wants something. 

I think the OP should set some boundaries, first with her FI and then together with him, with the FMIL to make clear that her tone was not appropriate and will result in adverse consequences if she tries it again in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards