Wedding Etiquette Forum

Social Media at the wedding...

2»

Re: Social Media at the wedding...

• I was at a wedding last year and on the invitations the couple had specified "no pictures to be put on social media"... In general, people were fine with it.. However, I have very little recollection of that wedding now... many people didn't' bother with cameras or to take any pictures. I can't at all remember what the bride's dress was like even!

For my bachelorette, I had a no FB/Instagram rule (for understandable reasons!) but for my wedding I think I will really enjoy looking back at friends pictures of the day and seeing moments I missed or the fun my friends and family had too :) Of course privacy issues are there but screw it, I will look FABULOUS so to hell with the catty friends-of-friends who choose to FB stalk my wedding pics! 
  • If it weren't for guests posting pics to FB, we wouldn't have even had any pics for about 6 weeks. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Yep yep - as everyone has said, there isn't much you can do about. Honestly though, you're probably worrying needlessly. I say this as someone who is two weeks out from their wedding, and realizes how needlessly I worried about a lot of things. I have social media fanatics in my circle of friends, but everyone was pretty restrained. We did put a note in the program requesting "no flash photography" during the ceremony, but otherwise left people to their own devices. As others have mentioned, it ended up being a blessing in disguise and I was thrilled to see the candid pics our guests took show up on Facebook, because it still may be a couple weeks before we get pro pics back. 

Just a note about Facebook settings - you can lock down your own wall and require tagged pics to be approved, but this of course doesn't keep the pics off Facebook - it just keeps them off your own wall. Personally I decided against totally locking down my wall because quite honestly, I wanted notifications of what was being posted so that I could request photos be removed if necessary. I have great friends, and no one posted anything unflattering. :)
  • Just want to second this. My FI and I are planning to create a hashtag for our wedding so that when our guests post to whatever social networking sites, we'll be able to search for the tag and see them the next day while we wait for our honeymoon flight! I read about this idea a few months ago and thought it was brilliant. My FI's younger sister ended up doing this at her wedding in October and it was such a treat to see the photos go up immediately. I know I'll want to see photos right away, so having these crowdsourced photos will be a great way to pass the time until we get our proofs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards