Honeymoon Discussions
Options

We're Going to Disney!!

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon, and have decided on Disney! We will be going June 9-15, 2014. I'm in the process of trying to figure out the best way to book it. Any opinions on if it is better to book it through the Disney website or through a travel agent (I'm a AAA member)? Also, if we do use the website, is it better (as in cheaper) to book your flight on the site or elsewhere? Any other Disney advice is also appreciated..I have never been there! We are so excited!!

Re: We're Going to Disney!!

• Options

I go to Disney a few times a year (I have a time share), so if you have any specific questions, let me know.

June can be a bit busy, but you're going early, so that's a plus - many southern states will be out of school then, but the northern states are still in session (as a general rune: any time public schools are not in session is busy season at Disney World.  So summer, christmas break, spring break, etc).

I book my stuff a bit differently because of the time share, and because i have an annual pass.  But i would suggest booking everything but the flight through Disney - i think that makes it a lot easier.  They even handle airport transportation if you stay on-site.  I would caution you to seriously consider the Dining Plan (unless it is free - sometimes they run Free Dining Plan promotions via the Disney website).  I always think it sounds like a good idea, but then i do the math based on what I actually spend on food there, and paying on a meal-by-meal basis winds up being cheaper every time (not to mention that without the meal plan, i have no restrictions on what/where i can eat). 

Dining reservations for the sit-down restaurants can be made 180 days in advance - and i suggest you look into that especially if you want to eat at the more popular places (Be Our Guest in the Magic Kingdom; Le Cellier in Epcot; etc).

Investigate Photopass+ (LINK).  Basically there are photographers all over the parks, and they'll take pictures of you and load it onto this card.  If you order it in advance, it costs $150 and includes digital copies of all of the photos you've taken, including on the rides (you download them when you get home).  If you don't order it in advance, you will pay at least $15 per photo that you want to have.  It's nice to have people to take pictures of the two of you so that you don't wind up with a bunch of pictures of only one of you at a time, and they are professional quality.

Get Park Hopper passes - they are more expensive, but it's really nice to not have to super plan every day out and to just be able to say "you know, i've been at Hollywood Studios all day today; i think I'll go have dinner at Epcot."

This website has a TON of info - including full menus for EVERY restaurant on site: All ears.net

You probably don't need to rent a car - even if you want to do one day at Universal or something, there are shuttles you can take (you do have to pay for those, but i think it's cheaper than getting a car).  Transportation to all of the on-site locations is free via bus, boat, or monorail.

Happy planning!  I'm just got back from the Wine and Dine Half Marathon last week and am heading back for my Bachelorette Party in January...it is always a good time!

• Options
    AAA has their own, discounted hotel room rates, however they only have a limited amount of rooms available at those rates. It's worth contacting an agent to see what kind of room they can get you, versus booking via Disney. We are going in February and AAA saved us about $30/night on a room, plus they got us a better view. 

I always book my flight on my own, directly through the airline. Definitely arrange your airport transportation via Disney-it's complimentary for resort guests, and they even pickup your luggage for you, you don't have to go to baggage claim, and delivery it directly to your room.

I've never bothered with a meal plan. I don't eat enough to make it worth while, and usually when I go with a friend, we order one meal at counter services to split, plus an additional side or snack. I usually bring my own cereal/breakfast and eat it in the room, I find the resort breakfasts cost too much and, unless you are going to a sit down place, the breakfast food isn't very good.

Another great service that Disney provides is that if you purchase souvenirs in the parks or at Downtown Disney, you can have them send them directly to your resort, no need to carry them around all day.
  • Options
    A friend and I booked a Disney World trip through Dreams Unlimited Travel - we booked flights through them, stayed at a Disney property and had a meal plan included, along with tickets for the parks. We were really pleased with the cost AND the customer service. I would recommend the company for sure.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    if you're a Costco member, you can book Disney travel through them too. just something to consider.
  • Options
    We went to Disney for our honeymoon.  We did our booking kind of weird though.  My husband is in the military so we got our Disney and Universal park tickets on base (they were doing an awesome promotion for the military at the time).  We booked the plane tickets through the airline using my frequent flyer account.  Then we bundled the hotel and rental car through one of the travel sites.  We didn't stay on property but we stayed at one of the hotels that is affiliated with Disney so there were the free shuttles to and from the parks.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Make sure you get the free "Just Married" buttons. Although you aren't guaranteed anything you do get a lot of congratulations and we got a really nice free dessert as well (this was at Disneyland). It makes the trip extra special! Some people report getting their own car or boat on certain rides. 

I know Disneyland had some special stuff like in the Magic Kingdom you can go on the train that goes around the park and you can ask to sit up with the conductor. Also, you can sit with the captain in the boat ride to Tom Sawyer Island. So I bet if you Google Disney World Honeymoon you will some similar cool perks!

They also have cute bride and groom Mickey ear hats. You can order those ahead or buy in the park.Also, as PPs suggested, you can book dining reservations ahead. This is a good idea if you want a few more special or nicer meals. Look online for promo deals. They often have specials and sales through the Disney website. 
  • Options

you're going to have to price it out. i'd contact AAA and a TA and you can always feel free to price it out too.

i findd that, while the on property hotels are generally more expensive, they have transportation, they will ship souveniers to your room etc.. and you get extra hours for guests of their hotels.

also the park hopper passes are the way to go imo.

• Options
    I will be in Disney May 29-June 6th of this year for my sister's wedding.  She is also having her wedding and  Honeymoon at Disney and me and the rest of my family are tagging along for our own vacations.  I would recommend you book your room and airfare on your own and not go through any travel agents or websites.  For the hotel rooms you can book them now at the quoted rate and call back after the new year and ask if they have any promotions.  If they do you can get the reduced room rate.  Also you can call back as much as you want to ask this question.  We just went to Disney for the 14th time in October and we called back 3 times and stayed at Port Orleans for less than half of our original quoted price.  Also take the dining plan if it's offered to you, it's a lot of food but if it's free you won't feel guilty about not using it all.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Two words. Free. Dining. We actually got it for December, which is super rare. They have it a lot n September, but if you catch it early enough you can get it for the summer.
  • Options
    Ahhh I'm jealous! That is the next vacation we want to go on. I went when I was younger in june, and one piece of advice is to expect rain. like everyday. it doesn't last long, but we got a pretty decent downpour everyday we were there. I suggest bringing a poncho from home, or buying one the first day its rains on your vacation, because you will use it lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards