Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Engagement photo regrets

Hi all! I've been lurking on these boards for a looong time! I'm recently engaged (been about three weeks now) and want to get engagement pictures done after the new year, when all the craziness of the holidays is over. I've been looking online for pose ideas and other various shots I'd like to have done, but I'm a little overwhelmed by it all. So my question is: For all you who've had engagement pics done in the past, what are some of the shots you wish would've had taken or other things you wish you did before/during/after? Also, what are some shots you tried that seemed like a good idea but came out not so great? Any other random advice is welcome too :) I know all shoots are different, but I'm thinking this will help me figure out how best to the use the time we have the photographer. (In a perfect world, I'd find somebody amazing and not have to offer direction at all and all the pictures will look awesome! haha).

Thanks in advance, everybody!

Re: Engagement photo regrets

• Congratulations on your engagement!  

Personally, I think the important thing is selecting your photographer (check out their portfolio to ensure you like the work!) and the location(s) you want to shoot at.  Then talk to your photographer and get his or her insight into what types of photos you can expect at that location.  Your photographer should be experienced enough to be able to capture great shots. I wouldn't worry about giving them a list of specific poses.
  • You should really look for your wedding photographer first!!  It is better to have your engagement photos taken by your wedding photographer for a whole host of reasons.  You'll be happier and more comfortable on your wedding day if you've already had a positive experience with that photographer.

Honestly, find a photographer you trust and forget the rest of this.  Like you said, find someone amazing and don't worry about direction.  Telling your photographer what shots you want for your session is not your job, and might even stunt their creativity. If you have one or two shots you really want that's fine, but don't give them a list.  Find someone you like, and trust them.
  • I was really against engagement photos but my fiance wanted them so we bought a $20 Groupon deal. Obviously, stupid idea. Out of 30 photos, one 1 was remotely ok. Don't do any poses that feel unnatural (like that stupid boy-holding-girl's-belly one). We had a hard time finding a wedding photographer and wanted to use the Groupon photos for the save the dates but guess what? We just used a regular photo from the day we really got engaged. We'll be doing a second photo shoot with our real photographer.

Tell the photographer what makes you uncomfortable or what poses you DON'T like, I think that's a good place to start.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards