Honeymoon Discussions
Options

traveler's insurance

Hi! My fiance and I were discussing the possibility of getting traveler's insurance in case something happens that would prevent us from going on our honeymoon. We were looking to travel somewhere overseas and I know we have to book in advanced but I am just paranoid that something will happen to prevent us from going.

Is traveler's insurance a good idea or should we book at the last minute and hopes that prices aren't sky high? Our wedding is at the end of June so we plan on going right away which would make it around the 4th of July.

Any advice would help! Thank you!!

Re: traveler's insurance

• Options
    Always always always get trip insurance(big trips, not going to the shore for the weekend kinda trips). Doesn't matter if you book a week out or a year out (like I do). An emergency can happen any time.

Some resorts have their own policy (Sandals does) but it does not cover airfare. Insuremytrip.com is a good site.

Also, check with your medical insurance to see if you would be covered overseas (ours does) and if not you can just make sure to get a trip insurance policy that covers that too.
  • Options
    Hi! My fiance and I were discussing the possibility of getting traveler's insurance in case something happens that would prevent us from going on our honeymoon. We were looking to travel somewhere overseas and I know we have to book in advanced but I am just paranoid that something will happen to prevent us from going.

Is traveler's insurance a good idea or should we book at the last minute and hopes that prices aren't sky high? Our wedding is at the end of June so we plan on going right away which would make it around the 4th of July.

Any advice would help! Thank you!!
    Just be sure to check the terms of the insurance plan you are buying.  There are often different levels of coverage.  Some won't cover existing conditions unless you buy the insurance within a specified time, most won't cover for any reason unless you pay extra, etc.  Figure out what level of coverage is important to you so you can select the right plan.  As PP mentioned, insuremytrip will allow you to compare coverage across several companies.
  • Options

ive used insuremytrip.com for years and have been very satisfied with the different policies. make sure you read and understand the terms, limits and conditions and most importantly the exclusions.

and take it from someone whos appendix blew up while on vacay in cancun-check your medical insruance as well. anytime you leave the counry it will basically be on a reimbursement plan too. just so you know. my insurance covers me worldwide but i had to pay for my surgery and 4 days hospital stay on the way out of the hospital. i was reimbursed within a month.

• Options
     Most definitely get traveler's insurance! As mentioned above, do your research, & make sure you completely understand all of the terms and conditions. I always get the *fully* loaded insurance. We're already fully covered for global medical insurance through work, but we always go for cancellation/luggage, etc, insurance. Who knows if you will have to cancel the trip, or your flight gets cancelled, or your luggage gets lost? You can get insurance that covers unexpected hotel costs, flight changes, even $$ to cover clothing/necessities if your luggage gets lost. All things that you're going to want, in the event that you could use it! Even if you don't end up using it, it's nice to not have the extra stress of anything happening, because you know you're covered! Worth the $ for that alone! :P

*J
  • Options
    Yes get travel insurance. 
  • Options
    check out Medjet Assist. This travel insurance will fly you home from anywhere in the world to your local hospital, or wherever you prefer to go, will fly family members if needed to where you are, and also has trip/cancellation insurance. You can also get it for the entire year (I recommend that, it's not that big a difference), if you do normal travelling throughout the year. My BF got that before his trip to Africa this year, it cost him just over $200 for the entire year.
  • Options
    Absolutely worth every penny.  We had high hopes of vacationing in the Caribbean in September during hurricane season.  We postponed it not once, but twice and eventually changed our destination.  The insurance was around $100 per person and covered all of our flight and hotel cancellations, which were well over $200.  Also, if you're thinking of doing something like we did, even in July, think about using a travel agent.  It was really nice to have her handle all of the changes at no cost to us.  She even tracked the weather and, the day after our wedding, called us with a Plan B, C and D!  Again, well worth it.  Good luck!!
  • Options

So my mom is my travel agent and she talked me into getting travel insurance on my cruise package last year. (not my honeymoon, just a vacation) I thought I will never need this but whatever, it's only $90 so I might as well.

I shit you not.....3 days before the cruise, I was out jogging (you know to look hot on the cruise) and a dog  broke out of it's yard and attacked me!! I'm not making this up, I was rushed to the hospital and my pinky was practically falling off as well as calf damage. There was no way we could have gone on the cruise, I was in so much pain and I would have needed to bring a suitase full of bandages and antibiotics, and i wouldn't have been able to go in the pools or anything. We were so sad to cancel BUT we got every dime back, even excursions and prepaid gratuities.

We were able to use the refund money to book a trip 5 months later when I was fully healed. You never think something like that could happen to you but these things happen all the time!!

• Options
    Also the company I used covered us in case we needed medical treatment in that country. Our policy was through Allianz - my mom works for AAA and that's who AAA uses. They were wonderful and fast with my case- I recommend them.
  • Options
    I have never bought travel insurance, mainly because I've gone to fairly safe locations, I don't engage in risky activities, and my health insurance covers me overseas. Here's a good article that runs through some reasons you might consider it (LINK). If you decide to get a policy, be sure to read the fine print carefully for exclusions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards