May 2014 Weddings

Overwhelmed?

So I was reading our Accomplishments thread, and all that you fine ladies have done, and holy cow!! I feel like I'm so far behind!!  Part of the problems is that FI and I have been so freaking busy with being out of town, or family/friends coming into town to visit and busy with other friends every single weekend we haven't really hashed out what we still need to do, and what has gotten done, or needs to get done.  I'm starting to feel overwhelmed by everything.  I have a feeling its list making time.  I know I have the checklist on TK and I do have a book, so I'll go through that.  But there are a lot of little things that need to get done.  And I'm STILL waiting for the final guest list from my mom.  She sent me yet another partial list a few days ago - oh wait, no it was her ADDRESS BOOK!!! (no joke, that is exactly what she sent me, the address book she is currently in the process of creating.)  Is anyone else feeling a bit overwhelmed?  I need a glass of wine....
Anniversary

Re: Overwhelmed?

• Breathe! And grab that glass of wine! :)
    Although I have a large chunk of things done... I know how you feel! It's crazy to think we have around 6 months left!
    First of all... Can you be any more persistent with your mom? I think it's crazy that she's hasn't given you something more definite! Now I of course don't know what her situation is, but she should know the stress and pressure you're under if she's been married before. Maybe just push her a little more saying you NEED to have the list?
    Are weekends the only time you can work on things? I've come to realize I get very productive in the evenings/nights. I work second shift, and come home and work on some things. Could you do little things during the week... Like in the mornings or evenings?
    And are you having bridesmaids? Cause they are there to help! :) at least they should be... Get them all together on a weekday morning or evening... Or a weekend morning/afternoon. Do a brunch or something and have them help you with what you need! Whether it's addressing the STDs, invites (when time comes), doing any DIY projects, planning little things out (like transportation day-of... Just did that with my MOH). People (I'm sure) are willing to help you... Just ask! :)
    I sure hope I could be some help.... And I hope I didn't make anything worse. But seriously... Take some "you" time. Take a step back and have a breather, and a glass or two of wine... Or whatever. You can't let stress get the best of you :)
  • I had my glass of wine yesterday, and it was good.  I also made a list which made me feel better and worse at the same time.  My FI came and looked over my shoulder and said, "Wow, I didn't realize we had to do all this! No wonder you're freaking out!" lol.  But I put on there all the little things too that have to get done as well as the big stuff.  We are meeting with a baker this weekend (hopefully it will be like our venue, we will love them in 30 minutes and sign the papers).

I gave my mom Thanksgiving as her deadline.  And her situation is that she is retired, and doesn't do a whole lot.  I mean, she is active and everything and she always seems to be busy, but honestly she could have gotten this done in a morning.  The problem is she is trying to collect addresses from her brothers.  She doesn't have my cousins' addresses, and is trying to get them collected.  Keep in mind my older brother got married two years ago, and they didn't warrant an invite then, and they are closer to my brother then me.  Now, unbeknownst to my mom, after going through the list she gave me, I feel I have everyone I would invite already.  So whatever she comes back with later, will be getting wedding announcements.  She doesn't know this, but she will when I talk to her about it all later. :D

I can get some stuff done during the day, which I'm trying to do, but mostly its weekend when both me and FI can really get stuff done.  He will be doing the tux thing this weekend.  He is armed with a photo of what I would like, and he is happy. :)

And I only have one attendant, my MOH, and she lives 2200 miles away in CA.  I do have some wonderful girl friends in the area, and I'm already hitting one up for sure, cause I want signs at my wedding, and she does freehand calligraphy.  I have been busting my butt making address labels for STD which will be used for our invites as well.  I'm just happy I only have to do it once, and then I can use them for invites as well.  My FMIL has also been a wonderful help, and we will be putting the centerpiece holders together at some point. 

Anyways, I know it will all get done, and the list made me feel a bit more organized, so that is good.  We may have decided on an officiant, so that is good too.  Things are and will come together just fine. 
    Anniversary
  • I had a bunch of mental lists going in my head.  I finally put them all on an excel sheet as I remembered them.  Then from there I put them in order in which they could/should be done.  And then try to set a realistic goal of when I can get it done.

This months goal was to get the girls dresses ordered, find my mom a dress, and start looking at the tuxes.

December-We're meeting with the priest and I'd like to have all the church stuff planned.  Then I want to start picking out all the music we need for the reception and pick out pics for the slide show the DJ is putting together.  Those are things I think we can tackle while sitting on the couch trying to relax in between holiday madness.

I know after xmas I'm going to order the invites and start the little bit of DIY I have to do.  I'd love to get it done now but with the holiday chaos I feel like the last thing we need is more boxes sitting around the house.  Just a greater chance of something getting lost, thrown out, or smushed.

Anyway, point is make those lists, set goals, stay organized, and keep a good amount of wine around the house :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Kristen625- I am so glad the wine and list making helped!!! I know getting overwhelmed comes easy when you are limited with the time you have to work on things!! I was feeling the same way. I was out of town for work for like a month and half and had no time to do anything and then got back and we were here at the 6 month mark!! 

Just know that with the help of your wonderful friends and FMIL it will be okay. I know its hard to not freak out when you look at the list and it seems like the longest thing ever, but know that you will be okay, especially since we are always here for you to vent too!! 

I think you telling your mom that she has until Thanksgiving to give you what she has is perfect, otherwise you would be playing this game forever. Its your wedding and the idea of sending other the wedding announcement is a perfect idea!! :-D

• I'm feeling very overwhelmed, too!  There are still several big things that I haven't done, but everyone keeps telling me that "it will be fine."  And, they're right.  It will be fine.  Things will get done when they get done.  :)
  • Both my fiance and I are the WORST procrastinators! I find that I tend to get on a roll with accomplishing wedding stuff. I'll be super motivated for a week or so, and then my motivation just goes away. However, I've found that posting on this board and seeing the progress all of you are making is the best motivational tool for me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FI and I only got engaged in October so we're doing everything kind of quickly and its driving me a little crazy! I just ordered my wedding dress on Saturday! Luckily we got the venue figured out quick but we still haven't nailed down a caterer! so yea, overwhelmed is definitely how I feel too! I do have a finalized guest list and have sent out save the dates tho so thats one less problem. but caterer and bridesmaid dresses and a dj.. ugh. and those are just the bigger things! Doesn't help that my FI is in school so he's busy with finals while I'm trying to get everything figured out :/ I spend a lot of time at work looking up wedding stuff... luckily its a slow time at my job!
  • I just had a minor set back of my own...my MOH had her dress already for the wedding, but recently found out she is pregnant (3rd for her and her husband! :) ) so she will be about 5 or 6 months pregnant and there is no give in her dress she already has.  Soooo she and I are on the hunt for a new dress for her.  We think we found it, so that is good.  Thankfully she is my only attendant.  So her dress doesn't have to match anyone else.
    Anniversary
  • We're fiiiiiinally getting around to starting the invites. We already ordered a sample a while back and decided which style/colours we want, but hadn't actually contacted them to start the customization process. I'm trying to figure out what kind of wording we want now, which is always fun (not!). My main issue is that we need to offer menu selection on the response card, but we won't have the 2014 event menu available until January! Soooo I'm kinda winging it until then, and I'll just confirm or change what we have in the interim when we do our final digital sample. Also, we have our last pre-wedding meeting with our pastor tomorrow! (Aside from a meeting in the new year to finalize the actual ceremony details).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards