Students

student brides :)

Re: student brides :)

• Hi Ladies!

Looks like this is sorta of intros,
    I'd like to start off by saying I'm a strong believer and Christ and what he can do to show the glory of his kingdom.

My fiance and I have been together since 2009, when were 17. We go to separate colleges, and for over half of our relationship, we have been long distance. We love when we're together, and now that we've both transferred colleges, we're less than 45 minutes away from each other, so we each other once every two weeks, except during summer, we both move back home so we can see each other pretty consistently. 
    We had been praying since October 2012 on marriage, and when it would happen. We knew it would, but not when. After the proposal in April, my fiance decided on December 2013. At that point, I'll be student teaching in Jan-May 2014- graduating then. He'll graduate in Dec 2014. 
    God has been keeping us, since our families aren't the most supportive, except my sister has been awesome, supporting us the entire time, she's a believer as well. We of course worry about money come Jan, and even with the wedding, but like previously mentioned, we plan on skipping out on the big wedding, and just having a nice cheap wedding, so we can save for living costs, and for our 10 year vow renewal, doing all the big stuff.

I look forward to talking with more of you ladies!

God Bless
    Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • While everyone here has some good points, and it would be smarter to wait until you have all your financial ducks in a row, other paths are more practical for some. For me, FI is joining the Marines in the fall, so it just made sense for us to get married now rather than in two years. We have put every penny into this wedding, and yes, it has been hard, but I think this is a good test for your relationship. If you can survive planning a wedding and money struggles with your man, you have already tackled one of the most important aspects of a marriage. Now, we have had some help along the way (including someone anonymously paying off our reception venue), but we paid for the majority of our $20,000 wedding ourselves. This, to me, is an amazing feat for us, and while we could've used the money for a house or something else, we didn't, and I am so happy with every detail of our wedding. I am so excited to get married in four days and spend the rest of my life with my love!
  • margaretskyemargaretskye member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2013
    We started dating during my junior year of high school, and I'm about to start my junior year of college. We're getting married young because we know that we want to spend the rest of our lives with each other, and we're just really excited about the prospect of growing up together AND growing old together. We're ready. We've talked about when we want to have a child, and how many children we want to have (one, or two if our finances allow) and we are on the same page with location, career plans, and how to deal with money. We've been living together for two years. And on the practical side we're planning on moving pretty far away from our home state after we graduate, but we wanted to be able to plan a wedding with the help of our families.

We've got almost two years, so we're just setting aside as much as we can from every paycheck (also keeping in mind that we're both planning on continuing our education after undergrad). Thankfully my parents will be able to help out a bit financially.
  • Hi there! I am 24 years, recently engaged and I'll be starting my 2nd year of Pharmacy School this fall. I know I'm in for a very interesting year!! Luckily we have managed to book and plan the most important things like the venue, officiant, photographers, music, decorations,catering, etc. during the summer so I can be less stressed out during the semester. My fiance just finished his Bachelors degree in Computer Engineering and has already started working, which is pretty great for us financially. Is not going to be easy, but we are really excited to finally get married!!! We've been together for 6 years & 5 months :)
  • Hi everyone! First of all, I want to introduce myself because even though I have been a member of The Knot since I got engaged last year, I never really payed too much attention to so many of the boards, but something tells me I should've gone here from the start!

Anyway, I'm 22 years old and I am from NJ. I am getting married on October 17, 2014. I am graduating in two weeks (I'm taking my VERY last GenEd - yes, GenEd, talk about procrastinating!) and I majored in Fashion Marketing and Business Administration, and I am also a certified makeup artist! I met my FI when we were 13 years old, but we were always just very close friends, in fact he was one of my very best friends because he knew me so well. I always had a thing for him but I kind of figured he would never date me since we were so close and also, I was kind of bad (partied too much!) in high school and I just knew it would never work. Basically, loonng story short, one night after we graduated high school, he poured his heart out to me and told me how I was the girl he always wanted but never though he could have (aww) and we started dating soon after! :) Three and a half years later, so my junior year of college, he proposed! 

My fiance graduated a year before me and studied Criminal Justice and wants more than anything to be a police officer in NJ or NYC, but it is incredibly hard for anyone trying to be a cop in the tri-state area. I feel so awful for him :( He has been out of school for two years and even though he tries and tries and goes on multiple tests, he never lands the job. When he was 18, before we started dating  - and I know this since we were best friends - he was considering the military, but the plans fell through. He is considering the Air Force once again, but no decision has been made yet.

I just landed my dream job at a marketing/distribution firm in NJ, so this is my last week as an Assistant Manager in retail! Soo bittersweet but I'm still celebrating the end of my retail days! 

Sorry for such a long post!! Figured I might as well introduce myself while I'm here. :) Even though being young and engaged has its moments where it's hard (as we all know), between the finances and work and finishing up school and of course the snarky comments by most (this week I just got "well you don't LOOK old enough to be married" - excuse me?), I wouldn't want to be anywhere else at the point in my life. I love my future husband, and I know you girls do too! Best of luck to all of you!! I can't wait to talk to you all more on here. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Visit Fall.weddings.com
  • This is only my third post on this discussion board. I was similarly a member of The Knot for a while but never came on the message board.

I am 27 y/o living outside of philadelphia. My FH and I have been together for 2 years, although we've known each other since high school (over 10 year! yikes!)  and will be waiting almost two years to get married, as I am in grad school and want to wrap that up before marrying him.

I am a Recreational Therapist, working with geriatric residents of a continuing care retirement community. I also guest lecture at my university, as I've been in this field since high school. He's in government sales.  

I would love to have a small, intimate but classy wedding. Just closest friends and family, as realistically that's what we'll be able to afford, and I feel no need to have a bunch of extra people there other than the ones that are closest to me. Currently saving a percentage of each paycheck, that is directly deposited into a special savings account that I don't touch. He is doing the same. For those who were worried about finances, take your time, figure out the finances, and save what is an appropriate amount. You don't want to be living in poverty because you're saving for a huge wedding that you can't afford.
  • I'm 26 and in Grad School.My fiance and I have been together for 5 years, we live together and love each other.  We've been engaged for 2 years because we needed to save a lot for the wedding. Paying for grad school and a new house has been stressful. I currently am in  grad school full time, work full time and I;m getting married next month. The key is organization. But it can be done!
  • Hi everyone!

I'm 24 and in my third year of optometry school. I have my first part of boards in March 2014(yikes :/) and will have externships all over in 2014 and 2015 along with part 2 and 3 of boards. I am prospectively graduating in May 2015 so my fiance and I decided to have our wedding in October 2015. He is finishing up his Masters in Electrical Engineering.  So I am glad to have a good amount of time to plan but I have to find balance between that and studying. 
  • Hi guys!

I'm 18 and engaged to my fiance, who I've been with since May 2011 (almost 2.5 years). We got engaged in July and couldn't be happier! We're college freshmen going to the same college, which definitely makes things easier. I'm majoring in Early Childhood Education & Child Services and he's going for Mechanical Engineering.

We're getting married 7/11/14 (under 10 months now- woohoo!) and we are sooooo excited. It's a little nerve-wracking trying to plan a wedding and go to college at the same time, but it definitely keeps things interesting.

Our venue is an adorable renovated barn near our home town and the guest list started at 150 and has grown to 200... oops! ;)
  • I am 21 and in my second year of school. I go to work full time and school full time. We got engaged last Christmas and weren't really considering school when we chose our date. The date is our six year anniversary. Luckily it's after school gets out for the summer so that wasn't a problem. But I'm finding it near impossible to balance all 3. The wedding planning is the one taking the biggest hit unfortunately. Luckily though we don't want a big extravagant wedding and have a tiny budget so planning is a little more simple for me just because there is a lot of traditional and common stuff we're just going to leave out. As far as budget goes, my school is really cheap and residual checks are helping out. I made a list of the things that are most important and how much we'll spend on them and then I'm putting our money to those first. Everything else will fall in after and we'll see if we can afford it or not. 
  • @mirandaokay013 Don't feel bad about the growing guest list - I have that problem too!  Mine is growing because we found some more money in the budget to invite people I couldn't afford to invite but really wanted to.  The trick is to know when to draw the line, but sometimes that line is a little hard to see . . .

• I am 23 now and still have 2 more years in school.  Our wedding is about two weeks after spring exams.  We wanted to have the wedding early enough in the summer to enjoy the time off of school with each other and getting post-wedding things done without having to worry about homework.  We will both graduate 1-2 years after we are married.  We didn't care that we were in school, its where we are in our relationship that made us decide this. 
  • I am 22 and my fiancé is 24.  We have been together for nearly 8 years, so it wasn't that shocking that we are getting married! However, the thing that really gets me is when people say we are too young!! Why do people think that it is ANY of their business?! I am still in college, I have 2 years left, and people are trying to convince me to wait until I graduate. Once you find the person you know you will spend the rest of your life with, why would I want to wait 2 more years?

• "Why are we getting married so soon? We are in love. Why wait?? Also, I plan to go to medical school right after college. As you may know, med school is 4 years- after that, I will be an intern for about 5 years. I am going to be a surgeon, so again, you know- long hours, never home.  There really won't be a good or decent time him and I could get married. I wouldn't have time to plan it either."
    I'm currently in medical school (and planning my wedding), so I assure you that it IS very possible to do both. Also 95% of my friends who went into college planing on being pre-med changed their minds before senior year, so make sure to keep an open mind about everything. I'm not saying that you don't know what you're getting yourself into, or will change your mind (I havent changed my mind about the guy or the career since I was 18 so you may not either!) but I am glad I didn't rush into anything. 
    This. So much this. I am an MD/PhD student, and all of my friends are in their clinical rotations right now - one month, they want to be a surgeon, the next, an internist, the next, an anesthesiologist, etc etc etc. It's very rare (especially at 17!) to know what you want to do with the rest of your life, especially when it comes to your medical specialty, or even if you want to go to medical school. It might be good to wait maybe a bit longer so you wan really see what you want to do with your life, and to make sure your fiance/future husband is on board with it. But best of luck, and there's really no harm in waiting until you can afford the wedding your heart desires.
  • Well my problem was maintaining my grades and wedding planning from a  distance. I really have gone crazy. I'm trying to still do my best in 3 classes, but there's this one class that I just don't have any tolerance left for the teacher. She's rude and doesn't teach in an overall positive way. (I know that sounds confusing so let me elaborate)

1) When I came in on the first day of class, I asked to talk with her at the end of it about leaving early for Thanksgiving. She told me that I couldn't leave. Even though I tried bringing up the fact that I had already bought the ticket, she always shut me down and up (english language tricks) and blew me off. She even stood me up for an appointment we made. 
    2) She has too few assignments and returns them to late to learn anything from them.
    3) We received our 2nd exam back 1 DAY before our FOURTH exam. That's not ok. 
    4) To top it off, she's a great lecturer, but jumps around too much in the book for us to follow that way and only provides picture slides. You basically have to bring a voice recorder to class to get everything.

And the reason I was going home for Thanksgiving early: 1) I had more travel to do than other students (as in 2+6 hours of driving and 8 hours of flying one way), 2) I saw my plane ticket drop from 770 to 550 the week before classes started and for the last day of classes, and here's the big one 3) I was meeting my fiancé's extended family on his mom's side who aren't able to attend the wedding because of bad-weather and work.

Normally, I'd want to exceed so well in her class and rub it in her face how smart I am. This semester: I want to fail her class so hard it looks ill on her standing as a teacher, then turn around and retake the class with flying colors. I don't even think I'm going to show up for the final. 

Logically I know this doesn't make sense, but emotionally I'm too tired to put up with her or give a damn. 

And that has been the hard part of planning this wedding during a semester and having the wedding during a break. Planning everything afar has been draining. School has been tedious. And crazy has escalated to psycho.
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well my problem was maintaining my grades and wedding planning from a  distance. I really have gone crazy. I'm trying to still do my best in 3 classes, but there's this one class that I just don't have any tolerance left for the teacher. She's rude and doesn't teach in an overall positive way. (I know that sounds confusing so let me elaborate)

1) When I came in on the first day of class, I asked to talk with her at the end of it about leaving early for Thanksgiving. She told me that I couldn't leave. Even though I tried bringing up the fact that I had already bought the ticket, she always shut me down and up (english language tricks) and blew me off. She even stood me up for an appointment we made. 
    2) She has too few assignments and returns them to late to learn anything from them.
    3) We received our 2nd exam back 1 DAY before our FOURTH exam. That's not ok. 
    4) To top it off, she's a great lecturer, but jumps around too much in the book for us to follow that way and only provides picture slides. You basically have to bring a voice recorder to class to get everything.

And the reason I was going home for Thanksgiving early: 1) I had more travel to do than other students (as in 2+6 hours of driving and 8 hours of flying one way), 2) I saw my plane ticket drop from 770 to 550 the week before classes started and for the last day of classes, and here's the big one 3) I was meeting my fiancé's extended family on his mom's side who aren't able to attend the wedding because of bad-weather and work.

Normally, I'd want to exceed so well in her class and rub it in her face how smart I am. This semester: I want to fail her class so hard it looks ill on her standing as a teacher, then turn around and retake the class with flying colors. I don't even think I'm going to show up for the final. 

Logically I know this doesn't make sense, but emotionally I'm too tired to put up with her or give a damn. 

And that has been the hard part of planning this wedding during a semester and having the wedding during a break. Planning everything afar has been draining. School has been tedious. And crazy has escalated to psycho.
    My sister tried to do this during the first year of her Associate's.  It was a disaster-- due to scheduling and needing credits in other things, she wasn't able to retake the exact class, and then she was short a bunch of credits when she was supposed to already be done.  Don't mess up your future for one jerk teacher!  Pass her class with flying colors and rub it in her face.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Luckily, I know this class is offered again and if not here elsewhere. I also have plenty of wiggle room in my schedule due to careful planning and an extension from the college to graduate with my class (instead of a semester early like my credits say I should be able to).
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would still try to pass, though.  If you want to rub it in her face, see if you know anyone who took the class/has notes from a previous class/ has any knowledge about the class, use those resources, and then let her know that you had to look outside of her crappy teaching in order to excel. 

• I'm 23 and have been with my fiance for 6 years- so we are high scool sweathearts too. :) We both work fulltime and I am slowly earning my bacholors degree in business (I got my associates last year!). He will hopefully be attending the police academy next year- and our wedding is not until Oct 2015. In my case I don't need my degree right away because I have a job I like, it pays well, and even gives me a little bit of tuition reimbursement twice a year. I'm not looking to go in debt for college. I'd rather take it slow at this point. I have done college full-time at the community college but now the university is so much more expensive.

I  guess my point is that everyone goes at their own pace. I might not finish my degree until I'm 26-28 but I'll get there!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2014
    Leave bad reviews everywhere you can find. Ratemyprofessors.com is one site. Also, does your school do those scantron sheets and yellow sheets for rating professors? Mine does (they go to the department, and then the professor) and I wrote a terrible review of one of my professors. 
  • I am 18 and so is my fiance. So you are not the only one and I'm getting ready to graduate high school. I love my fiance more than I thought it was possible. We're waiting until April 2019 before we get married. We will both be 22. This is the age I want to be when I get married. 
  • I'm a student bride as well! Not for long though, I graduate from nursing school in May. I've been engaged since last semester, and planning is hard, but manageable. My FI and I are both 21, but will be 22 when we get married. Looking to hear from more student brides!
  • I procrastinate studying for exams by surfing the knot...that's how I juggle school and wedding planning!

Just kidding (kind of).

My FH proposed in November 2013, but we are not planning to be married until June 2015, leaving myself a little over a year and a half to plan and save! I am 19, paying my way through school by waitressing and bartending. He is 21 and an assistant manager at Discount Tire. We've been together for 3 years.

I didn't realize just how expensive weddings get! I have decided to take less hours this upcoming school year, and plan on working much more to enable me to save up a nice little nest egg.

• vulpiepopvulpiepop member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited March 2014
    I'm 23 and a senior in university (graduating soon, aaaaaah!).

I've never really seen the point of relationships that weren't serious. In my parents' country, dating had just started becoming a thing while they were growing up (there and then, you weren't in a relationship if you weren't engaged or married) so I grew up with that kind of cultural thinking, and scared 99% of guys off during 1st dates because of it, lol.

My FI grew up in a country that had a similar opinion in relationships, so it was perfect. He proposed to me about 2 weeks ago to make it official, but we've been "engaged" for the entirety of our relationship (the difference is now we are hankering down and planning the wedding).

Planning is fun and I have trouble keeping focus on any one thing for longer than an hour so have to take breaks fairly often. That's when I do some planning. :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am 22 and my FI just turned 25 (today actually). I am about to graduate with my BS and am planning to continue on to grad school. We have will have been engaged for 2 years (this year) and we had a longer engagement because of finances (paying for the wedding ourselves) and because I wanted to have my BS first. We want to get married because we can't live without the other. He is my rock, my best friend, and the sweetest guy I have ever known. He even dropped his whole life and moved down to here so we can be together and not have to do the long distance thing anymore. If you are worried about finances I would strongly recommend you put off your wedding until you can afford it. That or compromise some of the things you wanted and do cheaper alternatives. Your wedding is about the love you two share and as long as you two have each other the other details really don't matter. 
  • Hi all!!!!!

So me and FI are both Students I'm a Junior here in Chicago and Fi has sophomore standing.  We both graduated with our Associates degrees and then transferred which is why he is so much farther behind then me.  FIs is 22 and I'm 21 (b-day is in 2 months though)  We're getting married May 28th 2016. Me and FI just celebrated our 2 year anniversary and we've been engaged for one year.

Our Story:  I was friends with his Best Friend for a year then bestie finally introduced us our senior year of High school.  We became best friends and then finally got around to dating, when I was 19. Everyone's reaction was "We saw it coming, so and so owes me 20 bucks" LOL.   Even though we've been engaged for a year we didn't start seriously planning the wedding until recently.  My FIL passed away two weeks after we got engaged and then we moved to Chicago and transferred to a 4-year university this past January, so it's been more about us moving in together and dealing with other life events than planning. 

FI and I both go to school on grants and scholarships and we both work and We're both Military Kids so the Gov't helps pay for living expenses  We both work too. So we're able to save a lot of money and put it toward the wedding.  We got very lucky though in that area. 

I know its a lot to juggle, but one of the things I've done to help balance the planning with the school is that I really take advantage of school breaks like spring break and other smaller breaks to plan the wedding and set aside school for a few days.  Even though me and FI live in Chicago we're having the wedding in Michigan (its much less expensive). So this past spring break I rode the train and stayed at grandma's and that is all I did for 6 days.  I went and saw venues and talked to tons of people.  Then when I came back I was able to concentrate just on school and work.   It's really helped a bunch.

I know how stressful all the juggling can be especially when FI sometimes doesn't know how to help or even that he should.  My FI has never been to a wedding and is basically clueless about the whole affair, but I still ask for his opinion so he feels like it's his day too.

Just remember, friends and family, even if they can't help money wise can still have good ideas when it comes to planning, and good contacts to vendors, (that's how I found our officiate).

It's your day, even if you have to wait 5 years to make it perfect, that just means you have more time to save money and also more time to figure out exactly what you want.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• For me I decided to wait until after college to get married. Of course I would love to get married beforehand but with the extra paperwork for school, financial things, so on and so forth I would much rather wait. I only have 2 years left anyway and they are going to go by fast with all the classes I need to take. If I didn't have school and I had a full time job both my fiance and I agreed that we would get married as soon as we could, we can't wait to start our lives togther. We need to save up some more money and since we would like to have a destination wedding we pretty much started now looking at where we would like to go and how much everything would cost. He is my everything I wouldn;t know what I would do without him even dealing with school sometimes because it gets so overwhelming because I am the type of person to plan ahead and figure out the next 5 steps and he is the type of person to out me at ease and keep me calm. We balance each other out. make each other laugh, cry together when we need to, act like best friends.
  • Hi! My fiance (23) and I (22) actually JUST got engaged on May 9! I am a student going into my senior year of college and he is actually going BACK to school this upcoming fall. We have been together 3 years now and I can honestly see myself with no one else, he loves me and I can feel it in every word he says, even when he's yelling.lol at age 23, he is an awesome provider for me (even though I hate it sometimes because I'd LOVE to pick up some tabs too ya know) so I can only imagine how great he'll be in the future. We met at church so you can imagine how important the spiritual aspect of our relationship is. We have been sexually active and now it's seriously a matter of doing things the "right way" basically.

He wants to go ahead and get married etc because next year will be busy with me graduating and job hunting etc and I am kinda iffy about the fast jump mainly because of financial reasons. We are not currently living together so we'd have to find a place! So the finance thing is a BIG deal for me. I'm trying to find a cheap venue or all-inclusive in every way possible, low cost dresses, etc. I'm seriously considering eloping, but I really want our families there so this is stressful and it's only been a week! But just hang in there girl, I'm rooting for y'all :)
  • mrsdweavermrsdweaver member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2014
  • Another piece of unsolicited advice: stop wedding planning and start marriage planning. I would recommend getting pre-marital counseling (we would like to start in the fall), but a cheap way to start is by looking up some of the topics discussed in these sessions. Questions like:

-Do you want to have children? How many? At what age? Would you rather adopt? If one of you can't have kids, what methods are you willing to explore? Will you spank your kids? Will you send them to public school? Will you set up college funds for them? Who will stay home with the kids? How long will they take off work to do so?
    -Will you have joint or separate accounts? How will you balance savings, checking, and investments? What kinds of investments are you comfortable with? How much will you give to charities annually?  What charities will you give to? Who will actually pay the bills and take care of your daily finances?
    -If (rather, when) one of you dies, what do you want to be done with your body?  What about your possessions? Do you want a living will? Are you willing to be an organ donor? Does the family medical history include any conditions that you should both know about?

Those might seem like random questions, but I can tell you that I know my FI's answers to every one of them, because these are all things that will be extremely important at some point in our married life.  If your relationship is strong, talking about things like this will only make your relationship stronger.  If you have problems discussing things like this, then it might be time for the two of you to talk to a professional. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards