Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Need Advice: Pearl Wedding Ring?

I found a picture of a pearl wedding ring with small diamonds online recently and fell in love with it. Me and my boyfriend don't have a real engagement ring yet it more of a promise ring. I know its untraditional perhaps for younger couples so what are your views on it?

Re: Need Advice: Pearl Wedding Ring?

• Options
    Pearls are very, very soft and thus a bad choice for a ring you will wear every day. It would be damaged in no time. A pearl's Moh scale hardness is only 2.5-4.5 where diamond is 10 and rubies/sapphires are 9.

Also, that particular ring is rather unattractive anyway, IMO. The pearl is too big and you'll be hitting it on something all the time, which will only damage it faster.
  • Options
    I have no problem with alternate gemstones, but pearls are too fragile for an everyday ring, especially in a setting like that where so much of the pearl is exposed. If you really like it, just plan on not wearing your engagement ring all the time.
  • Options
    Pearl rings can be very beautiful (although the one pictured above is garish with that ginormous pearl), but due to their softness, pearls aren't good for everyday wear. 
  • Options
    I agree that the pearl ring you posted a picture of is a little garrish. It's very high and you will most likely be banging it against things. I have an opal surrounded by diamonds. Opals are very sort too and I have to be super careful with it. 
  • Options
    I agree with the ops on this pearls are very delicate and fragile. have you thought about getting a necklace with a peral and diamonds to symbalize the pearls and go with a more traditonal but unique engagment ring 
  • Options
    Yep, pearls are asking for trouble because they're so soft. And would you really want that giant honking thing on your finger every single day??

If you want something a little bit less traditional, try a ruby or a sapphire. They're almost as durable as diamonds. My engagement ring is a sapphire, and I love it!

• Options
    I personally love the ring but I have to agree it may not hold up well.   You know what, from the side it kind of looks like a pacifier.  I guess I dont love it.
  • Options
    I agree if you want a non-diamond engagement ring go for sapphire. It is the second most popular gemstone for engagement/wedding rings and looks simply stunning. I kind of always wanted one myself!
  • Options
    That pearl is way too big, it'll constantly be bumping against things and getting stuck.  I personally LOVE non-diamond engagement rings, but you still want the thing to look like an engagement ring.  That ring looks more like a piece of costume jewelry that would pair nicely with a cocktail dress, but not something that you could pull off everyday. I feel like if you wore it every day that ring would quickly become really annoying just because its so big.  
    If you want a non-diamond ring, rubies and sapphires and emeralds are really lovely, I've seen some pretty amethyst rings as well.  I personally went with a rainbow moonstone because I love how it plays with light.  
  • Options
    I love non-diamond engagement rings (mine is an emerald) but like the others have said, pearls are really soft and can be easily damaged so a pearl ring isn't something that will good for everyday wear. That ring is beautiful though, I can see why you love it.
  • Options

Pearls are very, very soft and thus a bad choice for a ring you will wear every day. It would be damaged in no time. A pearl's Moh scale hardness is only 2.5-4.5 where diamond is 10 and rubies/sapphires are 9.

Also, that particular ring is rather unattractive anyway, IMO. The pearl is too big and you'll be hitting it on something all the time, which will only damage it faster.

Exactly what Allie said. I do a lot of jewelry work and would never recommend pearls for a ring you were going to wear daily. Much too likely to get damaged. Look for something with a harder,
    inorganic stone that has a low profile in terms of the setting-- one of my pet peeves is rings that get caught on everything. :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    As I said earlier I don't really think a pearl is a great idea, but if you're really set on one, I just stumbled across a sale on Hautelook featuring a bunch of pearl rings and other pearl jewelry for a huge discount.  Just in case you're interested, here's a link:
    The sale ends on Friday at 8 am Pacific.
  • Options
    I have a pearl engagement ring and ABSOLUTELY love it!!
  • Options
    I think that if you're not even engaged yet, you shouldn't be worried about looking at wedding rings. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    A nun that I work with wears a pearl ring every day. It's not a wedding ring obviously because she is a nun, but it is beautiful, prettier than many diamond rings that are out there, and she wears it all the time so I think they can hold up well over time if you are careful. In the end it's your ring, you are the one who sees it every day so pick what you love.
  • Options
    Dayyyyuuummm gurl!
  • Options
    I had a pearl ring from my grandmother.  I wore it for two days before the pearl fell off. The high profile nature of the pearl makes it catch on things easily, making it easier to be removed from the setting. If you love pearls, and don't care about a wedding ring, get a pearl necklace.  Otherwise, stick to diamonds, rubies or sapphires.  You want the ring to last forever... as a symbol of your marriage. (if you're into that line of thought).  But anything you wear every day, has to have quality construction and must be durable.
  • Options
    Adding a vote for pearls might be too delicate for a daily wear ring. I love pearls and have been to pearl markets overseas (like where they collect pearls for export, almost like diamonds in Antwerp), and even there they really discouraged pearl rings. You can't get a lot of chemicals on them, like they tell you to never put them on before doing your hair because hairspray can damage them, as can a myriad of other things. 

If you want to go untraditional, you totally get my vote, I just vote durable. Check out alternative stones, I have a peridot ring that I wear daily and it's done really well and my best friend has a garnet engagement ring (sapphires and rubies too, like people suggested above). I know a woman who got a pearl engagement ring, but she can't actually wear it because it risks damage so she wears it as a necklace. I think of the number of times I get my ring snagged on things or get some sort of goo on it and just can't imagine a pearl doing well in that situation. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My SIL has a pearl e-ring and she never wears it save for special occasions.  As PP's have said, pearls are too soft and fragile for everyday wear.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards