Chit Chat
Options

How do you save and display cards?

I'm thinking about our engagement cards, as well as Christmas cards we are about to start getting flooded with.  I LOVE cards and paper.  Fi is also really sentimental about keeping them.  But I don't want to get overwhelmed.  I'm thinking about putting the engagement cards in a photo album or something, and then we can later add shower and wedding cards.  Christmas cards, I'd probably like to display, and then only keep the really special ones.

Does anybody have fun ideas for displaying holiday cards in your home that don't take up a whole lot of space?  How, if at all, did you save your wedding cards?  And do you ever actually go back and look at them?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: How do you save and display cards?

• Options
    We had a stone fire place when I was young, and my Mom used to put the edges of the cards in the grout crevasse between the stones to hold cards.  Mine now just sit on the kitchen counter, though I've seen many people attach them to a string/ribbon and hang them on the walls too.  

Our wedding cards are in a storage box with our extra invites and a couple of little decoration things we have.  I haven't looked at them since, and I'm pretty sure DH hasn't either

• Options
    I don't display holiday cards. I keep them for a few days and throw them out. Our wedding cards are in a box of other keepsakes from our relationship. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Punch wholes in them and make a book with o rings. Saw the idea on pintrest
  • Options
    When I lived with my parents we hung them up on the mantle of the fireplace. (Our fireplace didn't work so it was never lit).

Now with my FI, we hang them either on our fridge OR we hang them on the back of our front door.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  I really like the binder idea for cards we would store just as keepsakes, like wedding cards.  Still not sure what to do with the Christmas cards yet-- we have a fireplace but no mantel.  Maybe I'll stick them on the fridge unless there are too many.  A few years ago we tried something cutesy with a big ribbon bow on our door, but the cards got too heavy and it just flopped.  Ha, it didn't look too festive in the end...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    EverAferEverAfer member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2013
    We use keepsake board, (4 of them) in matching colors hung in the kitchen.  We keep most holiday cards and thank you cards from wedding and showers we attend.  As time past, we move them over to a box. 

ETA: spelling.
  • Options
    We have a small basket that we store all of our Christmas cards that we receive in a season. After that I either toss them or put them in a box with a ton of other cards that we've received in the past. I like the idea of punching a hole in them and using an "O" ring to store them all. Keeps them a little bit more organized.

• Options
    I'll usually put up holiday cards on a table in the living room. Picture cards I'll hang on the fridge. I don't keep them for too long though. I don't like clutter. 
  • Options
    I was thinking of getting one of those card holders, the ones that are shaped like stars and stuff, once they go clearance after Christmas. but I generally don't keep cards that people send. I have enough packrat tendencies as it is.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I hang ours around the doorway in our living room with tape.

• Options
    chibiyui said:

I was thinking of getting one of those card holders, the ones that are shaped like stars and stuff, once they go clearance after Christmas. but I generally don't keep cards that people send. I have enough packrat tendencies as it is.

This. Me, too. I keep them for the holiday season and then chuck them. I actually cut them apart and recycle the inside and send the front pieces to church or the local senior center for craft time.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Yeah, I like to display them during the holiday season but wouldn't generally keep Christmas cards after January.  We're in a new home this year with no obvious doorways or places to hang cards... maybe I can rig something up on top of our mantel-less fireplace.  Christmas REALLY makes me wish we had a mantel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I have displayed cards on the dinning room tabel, on the space in front of the T .V. I have put a few in a scrapbook and decoupaged a keepsake box or two with my cards.
  • Options
    @brendajaye629 That's really cute!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I tape mine to our door in the shape of a tree. The next year though, I cut the fronts off the cards and use them as gift tags. Somehow it seems a little more special than a small sticker and it's better than throwing them away.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I put them on a shelf on the built ins in our family room. I toss them after the season. If they have a picture I'll put them in a box of pictures
  • Options
    I have thin garland strung in our hallway and hand the cards with fancy ornament hooks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards