California-Northern
Options

NWR: relocating to SF

Anyone have any tips for a couple of newlyweds planning to move from CT to San Francisco?
-Good neighborhoods with greenspace (we have a dog and cat)
-how much we can expect to pay in rent
-Where would be good hospitals and/or ad agencies to work
-Is it worthwhile to have 1 car
-any frustrations with lving in SF
Any tips much appreciated! :)

Re: NWR: relocating to SF

• Options
    San Francisco is big, so you're going to find lots of different answers based on where you look. Rent will be cheaper if you live outside of San Francisco, in Daly City for example. That really depends on your jobs and your personal preference, what you're willing to do. When I first moved to the Peninsula, I used mynewplace.com to get an idea of rents, then called properties I was interested in. Craigslist also has a housing section. Check up on anything you find online of course! What size dog do you have? Living in the city, it will be harder but not impossible to have a home with a backyard. Just something to consider. Good luck with your housing hunt!
  • Options
    Why are you moving to the Bay Area? It sounds like you don't have jobs lined up, so maybe you're not moving to the 49 sq. miles that is San Francisco, but any part of the 3 metropolitan areas that are the San Francisco Bay Area. Together, I think those 3 areas are bigger than all of Connecticut.

So, I can't really answer your first question.
    Very low rent in the Bay Area, like for a small studio that probably doesn't allow animals, is $800/month. When we marry, we will struggle to find a 2-bedroom in the suburbs for $2200/month. Craigslist is vast and worthwhile when it comes to apartments in the Bay Area.
    My family has worked at Seton Medical Center for almost 30 years.
    If you live and work in San Francisco itself, it probably is not worthwhile to have a car. Anywhere else, you'll need one.
    Yes, frustrations
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards