Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Anyone else have to delay their honeymoon?

We are getting married on August 9th, 2014. I graduated from college this past April and finally got a full time job offer! I am beyond excited and definitely ready to leave my 2 part times for a full time (less hours, more money, weekends free, AND health insurance and PTO, which I have never had before!!) I start a week from Monday.

I am just finding out that vacation time is "accrued" for use in the next year. We get some personal days too but I expect to only have 4 or 5 PTO days that I can put toward things other than sick time.

So, we were hoping to take our honeymoon the same month of the wedding, but now we are thinking the earliest we could leave would be the Saturday after Christmas. I definitely want to make sure we have something at least booked before the wedding because I can name a few couples who intended to take a late honeymoon but just never took one. It's very important to us to have that last big hurrah before starting a family. Also, we both love to travel.

We are just getting to the point where the wedding feels closer, with less than 10 months to go, but our honeymoon is more than a year away! Lol so it feels like we can't get excited about it yet or really plan anything. On the plus side December/January opens up a lot more destinations in terms of ideal weather conditions! And we will be escaping cold and probably snowy weather in Michigan, whereas in August we would be leaving during a great weather time.

Anyone else in that boat?

Re: Anyone else have to delay their honeymoon?

• Options
    Yes, we're doing the same thing! I kind of don't want to plan international travel at the same time as planning a wedding, and I honestly think it would stress me out more. So we're going to wait until October (4 months after) and go somewhere. That way, we can balance our PTO better and relax a bit in between.
  • Options
    We didn't get delayed, but we didn't plan our HM until a few months after we got married.  We got married March, decided May to book something and went over July/Aug.  Lot's of people delay their HM for tons of reasons - school/work schedules, money, kids, etc.  Just make sure you book something and then you won't be putting it off.  

• Options
    We're delaying ours as well; our wedding will be in September but with my fiancé's school schedule we won't be able to go on the honeymoon until late December/early January. Just focus on how you can escape to a nice warm place in the middle of winter!
  • Options
    I think many people do "delayed" honeymoons nowadays. It's very common. FI and I are getting married in 7 months, but we have zero plans for honeymoon at the moment. We'll probably go somewhere within a year of our wedding.
  • Options
    I am in Michigan too and we are doing the same thing! I am getting married August 23, 2014 but we will not be going on our honeymoon until December because we are both still in college. I can not decide whether we should travel before or after Christmas though; not sure which would be more cost-effective. We are thinking of Costa Rica for our honeymoon, I am SO excited :)
  • Options
    A different situation, our honeymoon was delayed 6 weeks due to hurricanes in the Caribbean. Instead, we took a few days off right after the wedding like a mini-moon, and honestly it was wonderful. Any chance you could accrue enough PTO to take off Monday? And it still felt like our honeymoon so don't worry about that. Good luck!
  • Options
    I do think I will be able to take that Monday off! Probably the Friday before as well, which is most important for all the last minute decorating details, nail appointments, rehearsal, and rehearsal dinner. We planned on staying in Grand Rapids Saturday night anyway at a honeymoon suite, might just make it 2 nights. It's only 20-30 minutes from where we live so we are there all the time but still plenty of things to do and see.

Also thinking about spending Labor Day weekend a few weeks later in Chicago, which is just a 3 hour drive for us.

Then a long exotic honeymoon in January or February :)
  • Options
    Mimee, we looked at August 23 too! That was our original date but we moved it for our venue :) love michigan in August!

Glad to hear this is more common!
  • Options
    We did not make HM plans when we got married but knew we wanted something tropical. DH was unemployed at the time. Then he got a job and no leave - so we delayed until Thanksgiving. This was 13 months after we got married - 7 months after making plans. . We still called it our HM. (The week after we got married i went to the Netherlands for work. DH joined me and we spent 4 extra days in Amsterdam. We called that our mini-moon as it was not the romantic get away.)
  • Options

We didn't HAVE to, but we chose to because both of our workplaces get really busy during November/December and we didn't want to come back from our honeymoon and enter right into a nightmare. We also wanted to avoid going to Scandinavia too early to see the Northern Lights. Waiting until next year also gives my husband more available vacation time.

I just bought one out of five plane tickets today and will be buying the rest over the next month starting with the longest route and moving down to the local routes we're taking because the prices for those shouldn't change much. We're going to be going to NYC, Norway, Sweden and Iceland from 2/2-2/15.

• Options

We didn't HAVE to, but we chose to because both of our workplaces get really busy during November/December and we didn't want to come back from our honeymoon and enter right into a nightmare. We also wanted to avoid going to Scandinavia too early to see the Northern Lights. Waiting until next year also gives my husband more available vacation time.

I just bought one out of five plane tickets today and will be buying the rest over the next month starting with the longest route and moving down to the local routes we're taking because the prices for those shouldn't change much. We're going to be going to NYC, Norway, Sweden and Iceland from 2/2-2/15.

I can't decide if that is insane or awesome.  :)  I would love to see the northern lights but I hate being cold...  lol
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    We delayed a few weeks and it was great - I got all our thank yous done and then I was able to relax in Jamaica with no thank you note guilt whatsoever.

The other thing is if you delay a bit you will likely have more energy than a lot of folks going right after the wedding.  H and I started to plan Spain but as we got closer I just realized we wouldn't have the energy to site-see at our usual pace.  So we went to Jamaica instead and saved some money to boot.  We're doing London this year and Spain next year instead.  I don't regret the decision because I was pretty drained from the wedding and really would have needed a few months to be ready to take a HUGE trip.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Ours is being delayed, but only by a week. We're getting married the weekend before 4th of july so I'd rather go the week after the 4th for cheaper rates at hotels.  Tons delay whether for travel reasons, financial reasons, or work! No biggy :) Like mentioned, I'd still plan something when you can because if you don't book it you may never go on it. I would of liked to go in Aug for ours, but because my parents are watching our dogs from our wedding to my brother's we gotta fit it in before theirs (which is only 3 weeks after ours)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

I am going right after my wedding but I just wanted to throw it out there that depending on your workplace, most are really understanding and flexible if you explain that you already had the wedding booked before you started there and you'd like a few days of unpaid time for your honeymoon since you won't have enough PTO. I will only have 5 days of vacation time but I already cleared the Friday before and Monday after as unpaid time off.   :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards