Outdoor Weddings

Are Lawn Games Appropiate During the Cocktail Hour of a Wedding?

I am getting married outdoors in about one year, and I am still at a loss of what to do during the cocktail hour. My venue holds cocktails outside, but the ground is somewhat sloped so it is impossible to put tables and chairs out for everyone. Plus we currently have no music/entertainment booked for this hour, I was thinking about setting up some lawn games to help provide entertainment. What is your thought?

Re: Are Lawn Games Appropiate During the Cocktail Hour of a Wedding?

• I think that is totally fine. Our venue had a pool table which was fun. I attended a wedding at a farm last August and they had several bouncey houses/ giant slides my MIL and I even went down the slides in our dresses (it seemed like a good idea). Bocce ball, or giant golf would be cool, frisbees?

Honestly, You don't have to have music, but like even an ihome as some back ground music would be nice. I'm sure your guests can entertain each other and mingle for an hour. :) You could also add passed appetizers, that always helps.
  • I am getting married outdoors in about one year, and I am still at a loss of what to do during the cocktail hour. My venue holds cocktails outside, but the ground is somewhat sloped so it is impossible to put tables and chairs out for everyone. Plus we currently have no music/entertainment booked for this hour, I was thinking about setting up some lawn games to help provide entertainment. What is your thought?

I'm not a big fan of lawn games.  People will likely be in dressier clothes, even for a casual outdoor wedding.   I would honestly just play some background music and let folks mingle, get a cocktail and an appetizer.

And for real, you need to figure out a way to have chairs, even if you don't have tables.  Standing for an hour sucks.

• Have refreshments in addition to lawn games, but I would have a lot of fun playing them!! Croquet, beanbags, frisbee, ring toss, and my personal favorite, ladder golf! Hula hoops could be a lot of fun, too. Maybe badminton too, if there's room?

I'm a person that loves to play, and I always will be. If your guests are the same way, I think this would be a great idea.

I'd recommend getting as many chairs and blankets out on the lawn as possible so guests can sit.
  • I don't know about things like slides or carnival games but I do like the idea of darts, boche ball especially croquet!
  • I went to a wedding recently that had corn hole set up during the cocktail hour which was really fun! 
  • I was at a wedding tonight that had some lawn games. It was cute and fun.
    Anniversary
  • Croquet is super fun! So is horseshoes. Give people the option of playing, but also of just sitting and talking if they want.
  • We are planning to have lawn games too! Cornhole, hula hoops, jumpropes, bocce, and frisbees, as well as  a small outdoor photobooth. We let guests know via our website that we wanted them to play at our wedding and enjoy themselves. Also, we have appointed 3 or 4 particularly enthusiastic close friends (that aren't in the wedding party) to get people to play with them and have fun.

I wouldn't worry too much about seating. Our venue won't let us take the chairs outdoors so we are going to have some camp chairs in addition to the few picnic tables in the cocktail area- that way some people (elderly) can sit. But.... your guests just sat for the ceremony and are probably about to sit for a meal... they can stand for a bit!
  • Thank you for all your wonderful thoughts and experiences.  I think I will go wtih some easier games, such as cornhole, ladder toss, etc. 

And not to worry I am looking into some way of getting a few couches/chairs out on the lawn for the older guest who want to remain seated, but the reception hall will also be open for those wishing to escape the heat/sun/have a seat.

• I had this idea the other day for my own wedding. My guest will have a walk from the ceremony to the reception so I thought to have a scavenger hunt with small prizes. I feel that it will adapt well to your venue also it will help break the ice for guest that don't know each other because people will be wandering around and forced to intermingle under the guise of a game. Or it is just a good idea if you have a lot of child guest to keep them occupied.
  • I'm getting married in 3 weeks and we are doing lawn games! We have croquet, bocce and bean bags (corn hole).  Super fun idea, especially if you know your crowd will enjoy them!
  • Thanks for the imput!  I will definitely be doing corn hole, as it seems a lot of my guests would enjoy it.
  • We are having a casual wedding and there will definitely be corn hole, frisbee golf and even lawn sized yatzee and jenga which will be made by my dad.  I know that we are excited about the games and are sure that at least our friends will enjoy them into the evening.
  • I think it's a GREAT idea!  Also, you might look into getting an ipod and docking station and pre make a playlist so there is a little music going... mine runs on batteries for HOURS... I think it was $20 at TJMax (nothing fancy).  Pandora would also be a good route if there is internet connectivity.  HAVE A BLAST!!!!

• I think lawn games are awesome...especially as ice breakers if you have people attending that may not know each other that well. Also, I love @etise2010's idea for lawn size Jenga. (My FH and I are doing this too!) If you haven't seen one yet, you can check them out on etsy. I've also seen puzzle games, mad libs, giant word search boards and more at some weddings I've attended.

Just be cautious about not over doing it and I think your guests will have fun! :)

• I am totally having lawn games at my wedding in October! It's gonna be great!
  • my FI and I were just talking about this very thing this afternoon.  We too decided that it would be a lot of fun to have lawn games.  We are thinking of horse shoes, bocce, and corn hole.  It is very "us" and something that would cover that "cocktail hour" while we are getting our photos done.  My other thought on why we could do this, is we won't have a seating chart (gasp I know) so there won't be the 30 minute confusion on "where am I supposed to sit" that I find always comes with seating charts.  So we were thinking lawn games (plus how cute would that be to take pictures of us doing them!) and places in the shade for older family members to sit.  I also think that lawn games will get people talking and mingling :)
    Anniversary
  • We are going to have Cornhole and Tic tac toe bag toss :]. Ours is more of a laid back wedding and figured it would be fun to have a few games for people to play while attending. I figured if people used them great if not then no harm no fail ya now?  I think its a great idea.
  • I love the idea of tic tac toe bag toss! Gonna make a note of that one... reinventing a classic :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I plan to have some lawn games during my cocktail hour: cornhole, bean bag toss, croquet, and a pinata. Our venue has a large patio overlooking a lake and a lawn just off it. I plan to use cocktail hour for pictures around the lake so that will give us time to do that and keep people occupied. Plus there will be lots of kiddos at the wedding so something to keep them busy is a plus.
  • I am havign an outdoor wedding at a summer camp. I made sure to tell people to wear less formal clothing. We are having corn hole, can jam, giant twister, Kube, and maybe Hardrod. I am a huge fan of lawn games and that is something I want so I am having it. I say go for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This sounds like a great idea. If you have a fairly active, low-key crowd, why not? Even some high tables with classic board games (chess, dominos, checkers) would be fun conversation starters or help older guests feel included.
  • The cornhole set during our reception was in full time use. 
  • i also plan on having lawn games! starting after the ceremony and continuing til dark :) we're thinking bocce ball, giant jenga, croquet…. also having tables, chairs, dancing, food and drinks…… fun!
  • I am thinking of doing this also and have a tag-along question...who are you having set up/take down these things?  I'm having a casual wedding at a state park & there is room for such items, but no staff at the "venue.".  We are not having a "cocktail hour" but it is just a dessert reception and I want to have a few other things for people to do...if no one else, at least my 2 kids will be entertained!  

• We're going to set up lawn games too. Our ceremony is going to be outdoors and we wanted to make sure that there was plenty of entertainment.
  • I am thinking of doing this also and have a tag-along question...who are you having set up/take down these things?  I'm having a casual wedding at a state park & there is room for such items, but no staff at the "venue.".  We are not having a "cocktail hour" but it is just a dessert reception and I want to have a few other things for people to do...if no one else, at least my 2 kids will be entertained!  

You would set them up yourselves unless someone offers to do it for you.  Or you could hire a DOC to take care of this and other day-of setup. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks ladies, I like the idea of hiring someone, but maybe not a professional to do some of those things.  I can't imagine I'm going to convince my man to pay a professional but maybe...hm...the friend we'll likely pay to do our pictures has a lovely wife that we could maybe pay to do some set up and coordinating. Thanks for getting my brain moving on that! :)
  • I LOVE the idea of lawn games!
  • edited December 2013
    I LOVE the idea of lawn games!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards